Not enough disk space to update Aspire One Cloudbook 11

Aske1836
Aske1836 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Every time i start up my Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 11 (as in 11 inches) i get a popup saying i dont have enough disk space to update windows, this is true. As the Laptop has a 32gb flash drive, while windows is taking about 28 of it, i only have The office package and Chrome on my notebook, which results to me only having 1gb of remaining space, What can i do to make windows use less or increase storage on my PC? i need 8 gb to update, and even if i removed everything but windows on my pc i still wouldnt have enough space. Is there a solution to this problem? 

Thanks

Kind regards

Aske

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

buy a SDcard (16GB and up), put it on your Cloudbook, format it as NTFS, then you will be able to update windows.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

buy a SDcard (16GB and up), put it on your Cloudbook, format it as NTFS, then you will be able to update windows.

• Aske1836

Thanks for the answer!

How would that help with updating windows? Just looking for Details Smiley Happy

And wouldnt an SD card just make the PC even slower if windows is supposed to be on the 80mb/s read one instead of the ssd flashdrive?

• IronFly

the SDcard will be used only as additional storage to put temporary windows update files, not to install or read/write windows.

it will be a little slower on updating compared to a SSD but there's no other way to do it, apart an external USB SSD/HDD.

• Aske1836

Thanks again for answering

But what will this change for the overall diskspace conspumption of my PC? i have about 900mb available, and i cant uninstall anything to get more space, will the SD card help with that? I heard of some Compact OS feature, but was too scared it would disable features of the device.

• WesJ
    WesJ Member Posts: 1 New User

Ran into the same problem here. After trying all of the suggested methods (Disc Clean-up, remove restore points, etc.) still was very low on storage space. I recently found the culprit is the Windows Indexing database. This is the database for the Windows Search function. I went to Control Panel>Indexing Options and rebuilt the database. That freed up a whopping 12 gigabytes of storage space. I don't use Cortana and rarely use the search function so no great loss.

• JHP
    JHP Member Posts: 114 Fixer WiFi Icon
    make sure you dont buy a micro-SD card:)
    Jeff

• escapehere42
    escapehere42 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

hi, I have been able to solve this problem easily with the ones written on this site. I hope it will benefit those who like me.