Acer Aspire V15 Nitro VN7-592G is overheating to above 95 degrees Celsius

Cryptic
Cryptic Member Posts: 18 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Let me quickly put these out there; I have the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro VN7-592G (Black Edition) and I know close to nothing about computer parts.

What I do know is that my computer is overheating way too much whenever I play games. (Ex; Stellaris). Using OpenHardwareMonitor, a, obviously, hardware monitor, I've found that my CPU temperatures are getting very high. The highest I've seen is 98 Celsius and I have no idea what to do. My game just keeps lagging due to the throttling of the laptop. I've tried to lower my maximum processing state to 80% (on battery and charge) in hopes of decreasing the temperature, but nothing happened. The average temperature remains the same 95 C. I've attached two screenshots from the hardware monitor I was using that were taken during me playing a game. Please do help.

Thanks.

Problem1.jpgProblem2.jpg

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer

Hi,

You could try undervolting using Throttlestop and see whether it help, if you are not happy you may consider repasting the CPU and GPU.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1srWgovdn8

• Cryptic

brummyfan2,

Sorry, but I don't know what repasting or undervolting is, and I hate to admit, I'm scared to do something wrong when going through the process of undervolting. I also don't know what values to enter in Throttlestop. I found some videos for undervolting and saw Intel XTU. Apparently, XTU is better for beginners like me. Should I use that instead? It seems easier to me. And by the way, I'd like to not mess with the innards of my laptop if possible.

Please remember that I don't know much about what will hurt and not hurt my laptop.

Thanks

• brummyfan2

Hi,

Undervolting will not damage your laptop, you have to reduce the voltage as shown in the video I have posted in my previous post, start by reducing the voltage by a tiny amount while monitoring the temperatures, as for the repasting, you may have to get assistance from a technician in a local repair shop or send it for a service to Acer Service Centre explaining your requirement, in any case get confirmation about the cost involved.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• Cryptic

So I used the undervoltaging method and during a stress test, my laptop decreased to 87 degrees Celsius for its max temperature. It was an 11 degree drop, but it doesn't seem enough as my test game feels the same as before. This is quite frustrating to me as well, the only other option seems to be fiddling with my computer and repasting. My warrantee (from Acer) ran out in March, but I still have the 2-year warrantee from Costco. Answersby, the service recommended by Acer for Out-of-Warrantee support requires $69.99, so I'm not going to contact them unless needed. I'd like to hold of on sending my computer for the moment.

Aside from that, my brother, who's actually knowledgeable about computers, told me that I've probably installed something bad which is causing overheating issues and that I should reset the laptop. Since I'm stubborn, I'm quite sure I haven't done anything of the sort. Is there some way I can check for any problem-causing applications or processes? His suggestion actually worries me since "resetting" always seems kind of extreme.

Thanks

Edit: In fact, the game seems slower than before...

• brummyfan2

Hi,

You can check few things like whether you have any virus by scanning with Malwarebytes, if you are using any third party AV, disble/uninstall it, check for any unwanted programs running. You may have to repaste the CPU to resolve the problem.

• Cryptic

About applying thermal paste... Disassembling this laptop seems to be a complete pain. My source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yci7DnauR_U

I'd prefer not to break my computer more than it is now.