15 G9-593-77WF - High pitched noise coming from the GPU

2»

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

Here is my topic, that I posted about 2months ago.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Issues-after-servicing-GX-791/m-p/498140#M3690

Edit: Pasted the wrong link.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

I don't want to scare you but I am 100% sure that if you send it, the first thing they will do is change the motherboard, therefore after you recieve it back, you will have to change the thermal paste again.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I would say not to worry all that much... this is called "coil whine" and i have it aswell on my GX-792, but only when AC adapter is plugged in. There are coils that produce this sound and there are ones that do not, it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. remember the days of 900 series GTX cards with the coil whine? they still work without issues, hope there won't be any problems on our side. remember that there is a lot of power conversion going on in there. Even my Axon 7 charger has coil whine
  • WillyWongka
    WillyWongka Member Posts: 8 New User

I recognise that coil whine may be a common and even ignored problem. Unforunately however I often have the luxury of being in a quiet room, and not needing to have my headphones on and playing music or whatever else at all times, which means I'm forced to hear this obnoxious noise.

After some research I've found that GPU coil whine is predominantly caused by excessively high framerates or just being under heavy load. What I don't understand then is why it still happens when the laptop is just idling.

Also, the problem has gotten worse over time so far as I can tell. The coil whine was, as far as I cant remember, only quite quiet and intermittent for the first few days or so after I repasted, being able to hear it clearly if I put my ear up to the laptop. Now I can hear it from my head in normal use distance away from it.

I've gone past the RMA period, so all I can do now is to sell it. I don't want to do so, because the laptop is fantastic in every other aspect, so I'm desperate for solutions.