Acer Predator 15 G9-593 Subwoofer rattling

Options
DanielLagman
DanielLagman Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Anyone having the same issue i have? it's not driver related but there is a vibrating sound that i can hear when i have the volumn all the way up. The sound seems to be coming from the subwoofers metalic part. i don't know if this is normal cause i got this unit replaced twice already but its still there. it sounds like metal vibrating and hitting together.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

no, i don't have this issue and the "subwoofer" speakers enclouser is all plastic; so if something metallic is vibrating...can be the red cover on the laptop bottom or something else around the "subwoofer"

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DanielLagman

Tinkerer

Options

hmm, that's weird. whenever i adjust the volumn slider to the max, i always hear something vibrating from the subwoofer enclosure. is the red bottom cover with the "subwoofer" writting, plastic or metal? i can't tell somehow

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

it looks like brushed aluminium but i'm not 100% sure, by the way you can try to flip your laptop during audio playing, so you can check where it's rattling.

if it's that part, probably putting your finger over, will stop it.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DanielLagman

Tinkerer

Options

yeah i tried that actually, and it did stop. so i guess this is really a hardware issue where something was not glued right. its quite annoying hearing a distortion around the sounds. thank you for the reply, now i just have to figure out how to open this thing and fix it Smiley Very Happy

• simi_id
    simi_id Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options
    Hello,
    I have the exact same issue with 17" version, G9 793.
    First I have noticed the "vibration" noise when installing drivers and applications and were asking for administrative rights. The sound can be found in c:\windows\media\windows backgrounde.wave
    Also I've found some sound test on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/URrEtyFSENc
    https://youtu.be/2ZrWHtvSog4
    The rattling is around 300hz or 500hz
    My findings are that is not the subwoofer but instead something in the keyboard is vibrating and is kind of hard to reach the keyboard. When I put that wave file from windows media folder to play on repeat I've noticed that pressing the base of the laptop or covering the keys with the hand the vibration dissappear.
    Here I've found the most detailed video how to open the back cover until the keyboard which is underneath the motherboard.
    https://youtu.be/DVEpuZNWLxw
    And here I've found a picture with the cover opened and can be seen to remove it it's a lot of work.
    https://i0.wp.com/laptopmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/IMG_20161003_135225.jpg
    The vibration is very annoying when trying to watch streamers on twitch which have a high pitch voice.
    I am thinking maybe adding some sound damper or sponge underneath the subwoofer will atenuate the vibrations but I have to contact the service if they will do that.

An off topic question, how is your button to enable/disable the touchpad ? Does it do a secondary click when pressed or it''s the same as the macro ones ?
  • DanielLagman

Tinkerer

Options

so that means we need to open up the keyboard then? Smiley Sad I actually placed a piece of paper inside the subwoofer hole. that seems to have decrease the vibrations. it's still annoying though but it can't be helped at the moment. I wish there was a permanent fix.

we have the exact same issue, windows 10 system sounds default beep / adjusting the volumn slider makes it sound like an old guy who's been smoking for 50 years. it's just unbearable for such a beautiful machine. 

how did you found out that it was the keyboard and not the sub?

my touchpad buttons work the same as the macro ones. it doesnt give any secondary click. i'm guessing when acer released this batch of machines, a lot of things have not been quality assured 

• simi_id
    Options

At first I thought also it's the subwoofer, but after placing my hand over few keys and listening close to keyboard, I've noticed that the vibration moved from WERSDF keys a little bit to the right to TYUIGHJ keys. I mean that it's not in the same place in case it was the subwoofer. And since it's stoping at least a bit when puting the fingers over keys to not vibrate so much, it means that there are the keys with some issue.

In fact it's not an issue, they keys have moving parts and other elements which have a small tolerance, but still they should not behave like that. The issue is with the placement and subwoofer fixing. Searching on internet for pictures with G9 791 and G9 793 I've noticed that the 791 version had the subwoofer placed with screws, while on 793 there are some rubber feets instead of screws. Maybe they tried somehow to atenuate the vibrations, since a fixed position with screws would had caused more vibrations, but still not enough to fix it.

As a curiosity, when is your laptop manufactured ? Maybe it's a batch with this issue. Mine was made on February 2017.

And also, did you had your laptop replaced twice, I mean this is the third laptop same model which have this issue with vibrating noise ?

• DanielLagman

Tinkerer

Options

it doesnt seem to be the case for me as the keys are solid. i tried putting my hands on the keys and even pressing while testing the sound, but the vibration is coming from underneath with some metallic part hitting something inside the sub.

good research, i guess it really is a design flaw. i tested like 4 units, one in another store and the other replacments i got, each has its own 'vibration' but the strength fares differently from all the units with the same model that i tried.

i don't know where to look for the manufacturing date. Smiley Very Happy but i guess around that time since i can't seem to find any other post regarding the sub vibrating issue with the predator laptop.

really not sure if this is the normal way this laptop should sound like since all the units with the same models i tested had the vibra-gate problem. lol

i'm planning to open mine up and see whats up. it would be really nice to hear it sound crisp and clear one day

• simi_id
    Options

You can check manufacturing date on the back of your laptop, there is a sticker with it.

Let me know if you opened yours and managed to do something or what you've discovered, since I am returning mine.

• DanielLagman

Tinkerer

Options

ah i see, its manufactured date is 2016/12/16

sure thing, ill post it here.

but doing that i bet, will void my waranty. Smiley Sad anyways, i got to try.

why are you returning yours? 

• simi_id
    Options

I am returning it because of this rattling noise. It's very annoying each time I install something and is asking for administrative rights I hear that vibration. Also when I watch a streamer on twitch with a high pitch voice, again I can hear that vibration.

I will give it a try to another one.

• DanielLagman

Tinkerer

Options

yeah, i hear you. It's very annoying even when a bleep on the system sounds come in. 

let me know how the other one goes. maybe i'm just that unlucky to get 2 defective units in a row

• daga89
    daga89 Member Posts: 27 Troubleshooter
    Options

same sound vibrate but in my case puting the hand over the keybouard the vivrato decrease like 80% i think its the keyboard in my case i will put some soft sponge under the keyboard to see if that makes the trick. i will let you know and send some photos.

haha I had not noticed that sound until I read the post Smiley Tongue i was happy in my ignorance!!

but now.... to fix it!!

• DanielLagman

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks man. I wish you luck. I'm scared to open mine cause I might make it worse.

But yeah this seems to be a plague with predator users but others just haven't noticed yet.

Putting a piece of paper inside the subwoofer slot seems to lessen the vibration but that might break the sub in the long run ????

For anyone else eperiencing this, let's all work to find a solution Smiley Happy
  • simi_id
    Options
    I've returned today my laptop, but reading daga89 reply and confirming me that is the keyboard now I don't know if to order another acer or not.
    Daga89 when was your laptop manufactured and which model is it ? Do you want to put sponge underneath the laptop or to open it and to put it inside under the keyboard ?
    I am thinking that the issue might be between the keyboard and the motherboard since the motherboard is screwed overy the keyboard. Maybe there is a wire, a plastic something which is loose and vibrates on metal plate on certain frequencies.
    Not an easy fix for this issue as far as I am thinking about.
    Daniel do not open your laptop yet just to reach the subwoofer until you are not decided yet to go full in, I mean to unscrew also the motherboard to reach for the keyboard. But for thus you will have to take apart the cooling system and to put paste back when mounting it. Not that would be a bad thing since nt h1, mx 4 or grizzly will be better for cooling but requires time and patience.
  • daga89
    daga89 Member Posts: 27 Troubleshooter
    Options

my manufacter date its 2016/11/18 and my model its Predator 17 G9-973

and yes i put a sponge into the laptop like in the middle of motherboard-keboard, or im going to try loosen the screws of the sub. but chill out men in my case playing music at top loud dont make any vibrate or nothing the music its perfect even in music like psytrance with many bass sounds. even in movies dont make any vibrate, only in that sound play haha the sound that plays when you "rise the volume" in windows. in any other scenario makes the vibrating thing hahaha, i know its the keyboard so puting anying under will fix the problem, there is any void sticker to cut or anyting, so feel free to open your lap but with caution there its a video on youtube to see how its opened ok?. its not just getting the screws out and pull haha. maybee in the night i make the sponge thing to my lap. buy if you can buy another go ahead, look for the strix lap or a MSI one just caution with the specs you buy bro, always look forward. and a 100dll extra can make the diference in someting good to someting perfect. i found my predator perfect, that vibrating thing its not a factor in my case, cuz i always use headphones, and if not using the speakers and sub dont make any rare noise just in that spesific "windows sound". so if i can fixit i let you know bro. we are here to help.

• simi_id
    Options

Please remove the Solved marking of this thread since it's not solved and also  add /793 after the laptop model since I confirmed the issue also on 17" version.

Also I've found out this review

http://badrush.com/review-review-acer-predator-17/

and it's having same rattle

Acer highlights the Soundpound 4.2 speaker system in the marketing materials for this laptop, which sounds great on paper. Four speakers and two miniature subs combine with Dolby Audio to deliver “deep sound immersion”. In reality, the performance of these speakers is rather disappointing; perhaps because they’re so loud, there’s quite a lot of distortion, as well as a rattling sound from something in the case

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    Options

What you are reporting might be due to a hardware problem with the laptop, in which case the unit needs to be received in an authorized service to be repaired. Acer is a global company with regional support so experiences with hardware issue we recommend you call, email or chat with your local Support team and arrange for your solution.  Provide them with as much information regarding the problem you are experiencing.  

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Yes I have no rattling with my subwoofer at all...It may be possible that under certain conditions with the right volume level and material...you could just be overdriving the speakers and bottoming out the cones or sometimes particular frequencies will excite resonances (sounds like what is happening to you Daga).

My experience has been a little different...I really think the speaker systems are incredibly smooth and balanced sounding...minus any rattling...for what it's worth I am a high-end Audio and Video designer for over 20 years.  (Sound is subjective so no worries if you disagree.)

Understand that these little laptops don't have big amps in them to control tightly the speaker cones etc...they are small little amplifiers on a chip.  I'm shocked they wring the sound out that they do on these things.

• DanielLagman

Tinkerer

Options

i see, do you have the dolby sound setting on? i notice mine alot when adjusting the volumn slider to max. with windows default system sounds, it still vibrates somewhere.