What kind interface SSD M.2 supports Acer Aspire F5-573G-56vs NX.GD8SV.001

Options
thailongthan
thailongthan Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
As the topic.

What kind of interface SSD M.2 supports Acer Aspire F15 F5-573G-56vs NX.GD8SV.001 (SATA 2280, PCIe, NVME...)?

Thank you !!!

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi, 

You could install a NVMe SSD but to make sure install HWiNFO64, run it, expand Bus, expand PCI Bus, highlight the PCI Express Root Ports and check on the right pane whether you have Maximum Link Width value as 2x or4x.

large[1].jpg

• thailongthan
    Options

Thank you !
    So I can upgrade my laptop with ssd m.2 sata 2280 or m.2 nvme ?
    Screenshot (74).png

• thailongthan
    Options

AND size ssd my laptop support (2240, 2260 ,2280)

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Yes, your laptop supports NVMe SSD but it will work at half the speed of advertised speed by the manufacturers but still 3x of a SATA M.2 SSD. The size is M.2 2280.

• thailongthan
    Options

Thank you HeartHeartHeart

• bart877ie
    bart877ie Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    hi, just to confirm, can you let me know if https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-xg3-series-thnsn5512gpu7-solid-state-drive-512-gb-pci-express-3-1-x4-nvme/specs/
    will work in my Acer Aspire F15 F5-573G-53WL (NX.GD4EP.018) ?  
  • bart877ie

Tinkerer

Options
    Guys, just to let you know my SSD Nvme works perfectly in my Acer F5 573G 53WL, no issues at all.
    Also, the laptop comes with fixing screw attached to the m.2 slot. However, when I installed Windows 10 on it, booting time is super slow, like 5 minutes. Any idea what is causing this delay? System is fresh and clean.
  • bart877ie

Tinkerer

Options
    Drive is also visible from BIOS and under AIDA64, with dedicated drivers installed (TOSHIBA OCZ XG3 Series)
    I am just losing a hope and think there is no workaround, the drive may work as secondary, but don't think it will ever work correctly as a one with system partition.  
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    bart877ie said:
    Drive is also visible from BIOS and under AIDA64, with dedicated drivers installed (TOSHIBA OCZ XG3 Series)
    I am just losing a hope and think there is no workaround, the drive may work as secondary, but don't think it will ever work correctly as a one with system partition.  
    Hi,
    Do you have the original HDD installed in the bay, if so, remove it and use only the M.2 SSD for a while, then make a backup of the image for recovery, format original HDD and use it as a storage drive.
  • bart877ie

Tinkerer

Options
    yes, original HDD is still in bay, (it is empty)  so just disconnect and use m.2 for a day or two and then plug it back again? 

I have nothing on it so don't need to perform any backup
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Yes, that's correct, make sure the m.2 ssd is the first boot in BIOS boot order as well.
  • bart877ie

Tinkerer

Options
    OK, I try this today, should I see improved booting time almost immediately after the drive is disconnected?  
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Yes, it should, if it doesn't it could be something else like any trial version AV programs or any other programs trying to start up at start.
  • bart877ie

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Options
    HI Guys, 
    so I have removed HDD drive and booted system, also I installed boot racer and boot analyzer to track the delay.  Unfortunately, the system is still booting almost 2 minutes.  When reading the data from apps it shows that majority of time 80 seconds is taken by Windows boot.  The system is clean and only 5 other applications are installed, but these are not taking longer than 7 seconds + desktop another 10 (which is standard) 
    So I went and tried to play in msconfig. Under boot tab I have checked PCI lock box. (hence new SSD is PCI ) Restarted the system and I was amazed, it  loaded in 8 seconds from the restart to log on screen.  I was like delighted, but only for short time.  I have noticed that my touchpad wasn't working, the keyboard was fully functional. 
    Went to DEVICE MANAGER and noticed that under STORAGE CONTROLLERS  - are 4 XG3 (NVME controllers ) but 3 are disabled and the message was popping out that device didn't have enough resources to start and is disabled. 
    I tried to reinstall touchpad driver but didn't work. After reboot system booted again in 8seconds but still no mouse. 
    Then I restored previous settings and was trying to disable 3 XG3 controllers myself, however on the attempt, the system was crashing with a message that critical resource failure.  The system went to normal 3 minutes boot time. 
    So I am really thinking that for whatever reason I won't be able to use this Toshiba drive, I have ordered SATA one and when it arrives I will install Windows to see if it makes changes and most likely will resell Toshiba. A drive is fully functional I have tested it with various diagnostic tools and all is fine, but I just can't understand why my ACER is not liking it or what is causing this huge delay. Or maybe I am missing some Intel CHIP driver, but losing my hopes now. It is like 3 nights in the row until 3 am trying to figure this out. 
    If you have any other suggestions it would be grateful.

(I would like to attach pictures, but I am still a newbie ) 

• brummyfan2
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi,
    I am sorry to hear your difficulties, could you please check the storage controller drivers( like in my snip), you can uninstall the current driver and reboot Windows will install it's generic driver, if that doesn't help, try to get Toshiba's NVMe driver if it's available in their support site, install it and try.
    I think it could be the difference in PCIe version, I have version 3.0 and assume you have the same as well, however you can check it with HWiNFO64 program(snip), Toshiba SSD has the version 3.1
    Also check this thread, someone mentioned about installing AHCI driver:https://superuser.com/questions/1107759/slow-ssd-performance-toshiba-1gb-nvme

• bart877ie

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    Options
    Sir, thank you, I'll do that during my lunch. Currently, under Storage Controller, I have dedicated NVME controller. XG3 but it is appearing 4 times, your SAMSUNG is listed once only.  I will try again with chipset driver from the link you attached and will double check PCI version.  So if Toshiba is 3.1 - and IF my laptop is 3.0 then this could be a problem - correct? 
    My laptop is running i5-7200u CPU +Nvidia 940MX +8GB DDR4. Once again thank you for your help.  

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    No problem, yes try removing the other NVMe controller drivers under Storage controller and leave only one entry, I suspect the PCIe version incompatibility but can not confirm it as I haven't used the Toshiba SSDs, you could try in their support forums to find about it. 
    Samsung 960 Evo has PCIe version 3.0 and works fine, have a look at their specification here:http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/ssd960.html
  • bart877ie

Tinkerer

Options
    HI Brummyfan2 
    here is the print screen from HW device,  I tried to remove one of the controllers, but the minute I am trying to perform this action system is resetting. I think I need to do it in a SAFE MODE. I will try later at night. 
    If you notice something unusual in screen attached, please let me know.

again your help is much appreciated. 
  • bart877ie

Tinkerer

Options
    So, just to share an update. 
    Last night I have tried installing WIN 10 with BIOS settings changed from UEFI to LEGACY, disabled SECURE boot.
    The system installed, I have installed NVME drivers for Toshiba and booting time still slow.  
    After this, I have removed, formatted partition again, installed WIN 10 with standard BIOS (in UEFI and secure boot) N|VME drivers were loaded. Boot time still slow 2-3 minutes. 
    Again when I go to msconfig and enable PCI LOCK under advanced boot settings, system is loading in like less than 8 seconds. However, Touchapad is not working. Strangely enough USB mouse is fully functional.
    Today I am going to try for the last time and if not then I will just wait for SATA M.2. 
    Again thank you all for your help.