BIOS Update Acer Aspire E5-573G-792V

J_Watson123
J_Watson123 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, I've been trying to boot into a live Linux distro (Ubuntu) and all I get to is the "try ubuntu without installing" screen. When I click it the screen goes black and nothing happens, after doing some research I've found my BIOS version (1.25) doesn't support Linux. Is it safe to update the BIOS (can I brick my laptop?) and if it is should I go straight from 1.25 to 1.37 or update from one version to a next, repeating that multiple times. I've never updated a BIOS before and looking at my drivers page you download an .exe and run that, is that all you have to do? Are there any steps you have to do before updating? Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

if not specified, you can go straight to the latest release of BIOS, you just need to run the exe file from windows.

if you receive a "no bootable device" after BIOS upgrade, enter BIOS pressing F2, go to BOOT tab and switch from Legacy to UEFI or viceversa, press F10 to save and exit.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

if not specified, you can go straight to the latest release of BIOS, you just need to run the exe file from windows.

if you receive a "no bootable device" after BIOS upgrade, enter BIOS pressing F2, go to BOOT tab and switch from Legacy to UEFI or viceversa, press F10 to save and exit.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

After you successfully update the BIOS, then follow these steps:

1. Create a supervisor password in the BIOS

2. Make sure secure boot is enabled.  Don't disable secure boot.

3. Add Grub to the trusted secure boot settings

4.. Enable the F12 boot menu in the BIOS

5.  Install Linux

Or you can read eelcoherder's post in the topic below if my instructions don't make any sense.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Linux/Ubuntu-on-E5-573G-71L9-black-screen-after-menu-on-Live-USB/td-p/405318

eel.png

Note: Eelcoherder's post says to use "F6 to get it to the top".  That step is optional.  If you want windows to boot by default, don't mess with F6. 

Note2: You should backup your important personal files and create a USB factory default recovery drive in case something goes wrong before you attempt to install Linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfKn87nk0F4

Bonus Tip:  Before you attempt to install Linux, use Windows Disk Management to shrink your C drive so you can have some unallocated space (at least 35 GB) to install Linux...so you can dual boot Windows and Linux.  My steps above will allow Windows to boot by default....if you want to boot linux, then you just tap the F12 key at the Acer post logo.

• Ph3arr3t
    Ph3arr3t Member Posts: 12 New User

but in order to work correctly both OS's have to be installed in the same bios setting,

I got Ubuntu in my E5-553 by UEFI on, safeboot off. then in bios with Linux boot medium connected, added the EFI file for trusted..

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

@Ph3arr3t

A couple people have reported that they needed to temporarily disable secure boot in order for my instructions to work.  However, that wasn't the case for me.  I have never disabled secure boot.  And as you can see from Eelcoherders post, he never disabled it either.

But I don't doubt that you did have to disable secure boot temporarily because you're the second or third person that I know of that had to do that. 

You should now be able to re-enable secure boot.....since that is the whole point of adding a trusted EFI file so that you can have secure boot enabled.  Smiley Happy