Predator G3-605 - Windows 10 KB3200970 crashes the computer

wtcelesta
wtcelesta Member Posts: 6 New User

Since Microsoft pushed the cumulative update KB3200970 and it failed to install on my G3-605, it keeps trying every night to install and goes into a mode for hours at a time when it tries to undo the changes. From time to time it freezes in this mode and I have to do a series of motions like restart in a safe mode, check the registry for errors, do some troubleshooting, and after hours of work it finally starts normally. Needless to say, I can't go through this on a daily basis. I had the drive formatted and reinstalled Windows from a MediaTool from Microsoft a week ago, but this fresh pristine baby Windows crashed next day because they pushed KB3200970 again.

I took my computer to a Microsoft Store, they kept it for two days, installed the anniversary update of Windows 10 - still, KB3200970 crashes and they have no clue why. But they are blaming hardware. They tried to run hardware tests to zero on the problem, but couldn't, because every time the machine restarts it goes into freeze for hours. Finally, they gave up and told me to contact Acer. Well, turns out my computer is out of warranty, so this forum is my only hope. Anyone else in this boat?

Other than this Windows 10 issue, I don't experience any issues with the computer. Drivers up to date, lots of free memory (Windows installed fresh last week and all applications are running from a separate drive).

See this beauty here:

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/mt2dmu.jpg[/IMG]

If everything else fails, any tips how to turn Windows 10 updates off until they come up with a fix?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have you tried to download the single update from windows servers and then run it=

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2016/11/windows10.0-kb3200970-x64_3fa1daafc46a83ed5d0ecbd0a811e1421b7fad5a.msu

or try to create a new installation media as you did, since Microsoft updated the files on the last few days.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • wtcelesta

With KB3200970 it didn't work: we tried to manually install, but it would cancel almost right away. With the media tool, the issue was that it would also fail to do the softer restore options (keeping the data only or the data and the apps), it would only do a clean reinstallation of Windows, and that only after we formatted the drive.

I don't know what MS technical support did in the store, but so far it doesn't look like it is trying to reinstall KB3200970. There is a new cumulative update pending restart, so I'll know soon if it has improved. (gosh, fingers crossed. It was such a drama with KB3200970)

• wtcelesta

Update: the new cumulative update, KB3206632, failed to install overnight, but at least the computer turned on in the morning without any issues. I tried to wait to see when it fails, but it took an hour for it to mount to 80%, after that I had to go to sleep.

It shows again as pending, requiring restart, so I'll try again tonight, but I don't have high hopes. I am suspecting that around the anniversary edition time they rolled out something that is really not compatible with the computer hardware. I don't detect any hardware failures, so I blame Windows.

Anybody here with Predator G3-605 and Windows 10 who is not experiencing any issues with updates?

• hagii73
    hagii73 Member Posts: 10 New User

Interesting I come across this. I have a similar problem with my Predator G3-605. I had a notification that windows updates were installed and I needed to restart. I did some work for about 7 hours then played a couple titanfall games. On the 3rd game I get an engine error (dont remember exactly) and I closed out of the game. Since I had to restart I figured I'd do nvidias update at the same time, which I have done a lot of times over the years on this PC.

The nvidia update failed twice so I figured Id restart for windows updates and try again.

On restart I get the blue screen that windows is preparing the updates and to not turn off the pc. After 30 mins and no change I - yes - shut down the PC.

This was 8 hours ago and have not been able to get it to boot since. 

1. I get no post beeps and monitor stays on standby and my keyboard lights up briefly. Then nothing, processor fan is spinning but no HD activity.

2. Reset cmos by pulling battery and get 2 quick post beeps with system date time error. Go into bios, set date and time, save and exit, ACER screen comes up then monitor goes dead and pc shuts off. 

3. Pulled ram and reset and reset cmos via battery and same thing. 

Could it be related? Any suggestions?

• hagii73

**Update**

Created a boot dvd and went into the bios and set the dvd drive as 1st boot device 

Still would not POST

pulled all power and ram

got post beeps indicating ram issue

inserted ram got a post beep

plugged power to dvd drive got a post beep

plugged power to HD got a post beep

plugged power to video card got a post beep

plugged dvi cable to video card booted to windows

left hdmi monitor unplugged and plugged in KB & mouse

Running a system restore to 12/10 (before the last critical update)

will update once thats done.

• wtcelesta

Do you mean you are on a laptop though? My Predator is a desktop.

I think I've read about very similar laptop issues while trying to research this problem with updates. Most people were actually reporting issues with laptops, that's one more reason I've been struggling to find a solution for my desktop.

Some say it is BIOS (UEFI) that Windows 10 has been messing up, that's why it crashes at startup.

Did you use Microsoft Media Tool to create a boot DVD? That's what I did when I had to reinstall Windows two weeks ago.

Worst case, take your computer to the nearest Microsoft store (if at all possible). 

As far as my computer is concerned, it's not getting any less complicated. Seeing that the newest cumulative update failed to install last night, this morning I let it try again when I was leaving my place. But when I came back, I couldn't say if it installed or failed, because the attempt is not even listed in the updates. It still says, cumulative update pending restart, and there are no successful or failed updates in the update history for today. Sigh. It's ridiculous.

• wtcelesta

If you are able to restart in a safe mode (it sounds like you can't, but maybe it will change), check the updates history and let me know which specific update failed. I'll try to find solutions. When KB3200970 crashed, the way to fix login was to check the registries for new unknown user groups, and remove them. After that, I was able to start my computer normally (although the update would still not install).

• hagii73

The system restore ran successfully last night and set me back to last week.

Checking Update history I see nothing unsuccessful.

I have the predator g3 605 also.

Chrome will not start

ran AV scan, no results

random server busy error with a switch to window that does nothing.