Acer Aspire 7250g black screen after BIOS reset

FuzzyDoge
FuzzyDoge Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hi everyone,

I recently wanted to re-setup my Acer Aspire 7250g with Linux Mint. I switched to the BIOS to change the boot order, typed in the password and i got the message, that the password is wrong. So I looked up some solutions. I tried to find a masterpassword, but there was no errorcode shown. I tried some other things, but they didnt work as well. At last i took out the CMOS battery, I restarted the pc after i put the battery back in and all I got was a black screen.

I tried to flash the BIOS, because I read that the BIOS might be corrupted. I followed the instructions of this thread; http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/Re-flash-a-corrupt-BIOS-for-an-Acer-Aspire-7250/td-p/93769 . I tried it multiple ways with this solution, but nothing worked.

I hope someone can help me.

LG Fuzzy

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

I'd retry removing the CMOS cell with the battery and power supply disconnected of course. Then press and hold the power button for a minute or so to make sure the bios chip is fully discharged. Report back

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FuzzyDoge

Hi again,

sorry that I didnt answer earlier, but i had a lot of stuff to do recently.

So I did what you said, but the blackscreen remains.

Is is possible that my hard drive is broken or my OS is corrupted?

LG Fuzzy

• JackE

>>>I switched to the BIOS to change the boot order, typed in the password and i got the message, that the password is wrong.>>>

What do you mean by "I switched to the BIOS" '? That is, precisely how did you try to enter the BIOS menu in order to change the boot order?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FuzzyDoge

I mean I just got into the BIOS(F2 i think) with the intention to change the boot order so that i could start from usb-sticks. Then I came to this "Enter your password"-screen. I typed in the right password(and it was definitly the right one), but it just said wrong password.

• JackE

OK. If you haven't done so already,  try to toggle the screen on and off with the Fn+F5 and Fn+F6 key combos. If the screen remains black, then try to HDMI or VGA out to an external TV or monitor, again using the toggle key combos.  If the external screen is also black, then I'd have to guess that your video adapter has failed.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FuzzyDoge

OK. I tried it both ways and it didnt work. Is there any chance of proofing that it's the video adapter and is there a way to replace it?

Fuzzy

• JackE

When cold-booting, do you hear anything that might sound like a BIOS error beep code?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FuzzyDoge

There is no a beep sound on startup. I can just hear the fan.

Fuzzy

• JackE

>>>At last i took out the CMOS battery, I restarted the pc after i put the battery back in and all I got was a black screen. I tried to flash the BIOS,>>>

Back to the beginning.

First, do you recall if you tried flashing before or after you tried removing the BIOS battery?

Second, did you get any indication whatsoever that the USB stick was actually being read (LED flashing) during the Fn+Esc flashing process?

Third, can you post the directory & file  structure that you see on the stick?  

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FuzzyDoge

I tried to flash after I took out the battery. Also I dont know whether there the stick was read or not, 'cause there are no LED's in my stick.

Fuzzystructure.png

• JackE

My concern was that the flash process you tried made some but not all changes. Resulting in a failed flash, an irreparably corrupted BIOS, and essentially "bricking" the machine. At this point, I can only suggest that you again remove the CMOS battery after of course removing the main battery and power supply. Then short-circuit and discharge the CMOS battery connections on the motherboard with a wire or paper clip for several minutes to try to force discharge the BIOS into its default settings. Also press and hold the power button to force discharging other capacitive storage points on the board. I'd also recommend allowing the system to set overnight before re-inserting the CMOS battery and powering up again ---- the discharge rate can be naturally governed by the size of the charge storage components themselves when disconnected from any power source, not just how long the source connections were shorted.  

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• FuzzyDoge
    Okay and how exactly do i have to short-circuit the cmos battery connections? Can you explain it a little further?

Fuzzy
  • JackE

Assuming the top of the CMOS battery has a metal hold-down strip that's affixed with a small screw on the motherboard, you would first unscrew and remove the strip and battery. Then touch one end of a shorting wire into the screw's receptacle on the motherboard, and the other end to the metal contact on the bottom center of the battery container.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Ahasan
    Ahasan Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi
    I am from Bangladesh, my laptop model number Acer Aspire 4741g, recently i want to update bois using windwos x64, but it was shown faild to update bios (......... something), than i mistakenly shutdown my laptop, after 1hr i want to start it again but it only shown black screen, and restarting laptop after 2sec-5sec repentantly....

than
    when i press fn+ese +power key it only blinking LED and hearing fan rotating sound
    but keep black screen reaming i do it 10times and more but black screen (no led + no object/ completely screen has no power) still remain.. than i use vga to monitor connection it shown blackscreen too.

than apart my laptop and remove CMOS battery and press power key for 2min + and above
    it still black screen remain...

i changed my ram my processor to but it still black screen remain..

AND without pressing fn+esc+power it goes to restart loop 2sec-5sec repentantly ...

plz suggest me any other solution
  • JackE
    What problem did you think the BIOS update would solve? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ