wifi not working after windows 10

Anglemont
Anglemont Member Posts: 6 New User

I had a Aspire 5920 with a OEM Windows 7. After I upgrade to Windows 10, the wifi will not work. Please help!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

First check device mgr under networking to see the model of the wifi adapter.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Anglemont

Under the device manager, the wireless network adapter driver shows "Intel(R) PRO/wireless 3945 ABG Network connection". It had shown a triangle with an exclamation mark. Right click properties the driver show "The device cannot start (Code 10).

I had tried right click the driver to update and the response is "The best driver software for your device is already installed". Since the network card is working, I use the network cable to download some other driver to try which is not allowed by Windows 10.

What else can I try? Thenk you very much for your help.

• JackE

Uninstall the wireless card driver from Device Mgr. Exit device manager. If it asks to reboot for settings to take effect, choose 'no'. Shut down windows normally. Then cold boot and allow Windows to detect the wifi card and automatically re-install the driver. Make sure you save a copy of the latest driver just in case Win10 can't find it on your hard drive.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Anglemont

Thank you Jack.

I had tried this but Windows install exactly the previous driver and said it is the most update driver. I suspect the problem comes from the UEFI bios that is necessary for Windows 10. In the UEFI bios setup, there is a option of enable wireless network while old style bios come without this option. I look up the Acer website and there is no Wlan driver after Windows 7. It also don't have any new version of Bios firmware and don't recommend user to upgrade the bios unless they are sure it is necessary. Do you think replace the wireless card will help?

Thanks again,

Anglemont

• JackE

Before proceeding further, have you tried to toggle the wireless adapter on and off with the wireless button or Fn+F3 combo?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Anglemont

I did tried turn the wireless adapter on and off with the wireless button besides the Esc button or Fn+F3 combo. Normally the button turn on with amber light. Now there is no response. I hope Acer will supply new drivers for older computers and notebook later.

• JackE

You might be better off trying an inexpensive USB wifi microadapter if you're determined to stay with Win10. They're usually less than $20 from Amazon with free shipping. You could also try to search the intel site for updated drivers for your specific card. But since it is more than 10 years old, the card that is not likely to be supported for Win10 or even Win8x. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Anglemont

Hi Jack,

Many thanks for the extra effort to try to help me. I had also go through Microsoft's discussion forum site and many newer laptop had this similar problem. I am considering to roll back to Win 7 or just get a micro wifi adapter as you suggest. For the time being I just plug in the net work cable and wait a while before decide what to do.

Have a nice day!

Anglemont

• JackE

OK. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Anglemont

Good news Jack. Thank you for your suggestion of micro USB WLAN network adapter. It works fine. The driver automatically install by Windows 10. I happen to have a very old one that I can use.

Please remind everybody about try any suggestion of registry editing :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-upgrade-wifi-not-working-on-dell/1292f6db-72a2-4362-98aa-50c31f5d52e6?auth=1

I screwup my cable network after I follow the method. Good thing I still know how to do a system restore. I also saw many other similar suggestion from Youtube and people got burn by trying to mess iwth registry.

I may see if I can replace the old WLAN cardwith a new one that have Windows 10 driver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNyK3vcBu-c

There are many possibility of the problem but a majority of them are lack of new driver for Windows 10.

Have a nice day!

• JackE

Congrats that your USB band-aid got the wifi up and running again! 8^)

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ