Acer One Cloudbook 11 - how to free more space to update Windows 10 Home

chewkimsoon
chewkimsoon Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi there.

I bought an Acer Cloudbook 11 with 32GB SSD a week ago (on 30Nov15).  Liked the machine as it suited my purpose.  Model is AO1-131-C22E.

However, I am unable to install an update of Windows 10 Home that requires free space of nearly 10GB.

I had uninstalled everything that I can, i.e. all Acer programs (abdocs, abphotos, etc), Office 365, Twitter and others, leaving only Windows and Mcafee antivirus. I had removed all files and photos off to a 64GB SD card plugged into the laptop.  The free space is still only 7.2GB.

What else can I do to free more space to install the Windows update?

If there is no solution, can I send the laptop back to Acer Singapore and ask to upgrade the SSD to 64GB (what is the price difference)?

It looks like the 32GB SSD option is not a viable product.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

You might try to run a portable windows 10 from a larger USB or SD drive. Google "run" and the other keywords for ways to set one up. You'd probably need a very fast USB or SD card that might cost as much as or more than your cloudbook! 8^)

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• picsles
    picsles Member Posts: 3 New User

Had no idea you could actually run win 10 from a usb drive.

What about the other options. I keep hearing someone on the forums mentioning install programs to onedrive?

I also know at one point I plugged in a usb drive and it set up that drive for everything to install on (apps photos etc.) not exactly sure what this feature is called.

• JackE

Both OneDrive and USB drive can operate under a Windows feature called file Explorer. You've probably already used file Explorer many times without realizing it.  

OneDrive is an on-line drive. OneDrive, like many cloud drives (dropbox, etc), is NOT a physical drive connected to your computer. Photos, programs, etc are stored on an internet server drive, NOT on your computer's hard drive. Google "onedrive" to learn how to set one up. You must be connected to the internet to access the stuff you save to OneDrive.

A USB drive, on the other hand, is a physical drive that can be connected to or disconnected from your computer. The stuff you save on the USB drive (photos, programs, apps, etc) are NOT saved on your computer's hard drive. You must insert the USB drive into your computer to access the  stuff you save on the USB drive.

When you're connected to the internet, or your USB drive is inserted in your computer, you use the Windows file Explorer feature to see what you've actually save on OneDrive or the USB drive.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• knots58
    knots58 Member Posts: 5 New User

What about running the32 gb cloudbook from a portable SSD connected to the USB 3 port? (They are really small)

I saw an article recently about cloning the internal drive and then potentially running everythig from outside.....

Migrating to SSD: Get yourself a new computer without getting one

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/migrating-to-ssd-get-yourself-a-new-computer-without-getting-one/

• JackE

Unless you try it and tell us how you make out, we'll never know. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pixelherodev
    pixelherodev Member Posts: 3 New User

I purchased a 32GB model about a year ago. Due to personal preference and lack of space I ended up removing Microsoft Windows entirely and replacing it with a Linux Distro. I've been looking for a hard drive for a while, and plan to get it during the "Black Friday Sales," but wanted to be certain the drive would be compatible with my laptop. There are a few options I am interested in and wish to know which are viable:

• Can I install a SATA/eSATA drive? I'm willing to take apart my computer if I know for certain that it will continue to function if I follow instructions, and internal drives are cheapest and fastest from what I can find.
    • Do the USB ports support 3.0?

Thanks in advance!

• JackE

The cloudbook series is similar to a tablet in that it uses a solid state drive whose form factor is integrated with and embedded into the motherboard. Accordingly, this drive cannot simply be replaced by a standard form factor notebook HDD. However you can certainly use a standard notebook HDD through the cloudbook's USB port using readily-available USB-to-SATA drive adapters. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• pixelherodev
    I don't intend to replace the SSD - I wish to add an additional drive. I already know the SSD can't be replaced!

Can the motherboard be replaced? (This is a serious question, I'm not joking - I'm genuinely curious) Is the CPU also soldered on? What about the GPU?

From what I can tell, Celerons are some of the worst Intel CPUs available (only Pentiums are worse). I also might wish to replace the GPU in the future.

I removed Windows so I can't find out, but does the GPU support DirectX11? I know that DirectX is Windows only, but a gaming program I use works best with DX11-compatible GPUs - even when OpenGL is used.

Is there anywhere I can get some of the drivers for Linux? The Windows drivers seem to work better than the Linux ones for Graphics.

Lastly, does the GPU support accelerated 3d?

Thanks for your quick reply, and thanks in advance for the help.
  • JackE

What is the model number of the aspire one cloudbook that you have? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pixelherodev

N15V1

• JackE

As mentioned earlier, you can certainly use an HDD/SSD ***externally*** thru a USB port (v3.0 is already on-board). But neither space, bay nor support interface exists ***internally*** for a standard notebook form factor (2.5" x 7mm/9mm) HDD/SSD.

While the motherboard can certainly be replaced, its CPU, graphics card, DDR3 memory and eMMC form factor SSD are integrated for this particular Acer series. While it's possible a more-flexible motherboard with replaceable/upgradeable components from a higher-end Acer series could be made to work, it's unlikely to be practical.

The cloudbook series are NOT, a priori, inherently designed to work as or be upgradeable to even remotely approach the speeds and capabilities of a gaming-machine. Accordingly, their limitations are what they are, and should not be considered capable of much more than as factory-delivered.   

Because the integrated peripherals on the mainboards may vary slightly,  I suggest that you do a command-line query for the device specifics on your machine thru whatever Linux version you installed. Then google their capabilities and the Linux forums for possible drivers.  If you retained the recovery partition on the internal SSD, you should be able to return the system to its factory-delivered condition while saving any data that are compatible with both operating systems.

Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ