Aspire 5742 Windows 10 drivers

swub1
swub1 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Is anyone that purchased an Aspire 5742 going to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?  Have you tried it yet?  What has been your experiance?

I am running the Preview now.  Mosty it works.  Occasionally I get a BSOD stating it is a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.  When I google or search it on time it pointed to the BIOS.  Then next time it points to drivers.  The only thing I have had happen when it works is all of a sudden the internet LAN driver shuts down.  I try to then switch to wireless and it says it worked but... it doesn't.

Thanks for any help.

swub1

Answers

• Tooo
    Tooo Member Posts: 3 New User

hi swub1,

I also have an Aspire 5742.  I have not been running the preview. I looked up on the eligible mobels page if our model will be supported by acer, but sadly it won't be. 

In my opinion its a little bit odd because I got a notification that windows 10 will run on my 5742 in the task bar. So my question is if you already run the final version of windows 10 and what your experiences are now. Do you have some issues with drivers or other problems? Did you have to update your BIOS and did you update from win 8 or 7?

I hope you or someone else can help me too, I would be very gratefull.

Tooo

• dgaraux
    dgaraux Member Posts: 4 New User

I upgraded frm Windows 7 to Windows 10 and everything worked --- "except" the wireless card. You cannot turn wireless on so no wireless capabaility making a laptop less than useful.  As far as I can tell there is no remedy for this problemso looks as if I will be reverting back to Windows 7.  Bummer!

• thurgood
    thurgood Member Posts: 53 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

A wifi usb dongle?

• dgaraux

I tried one I had on hand but it was not recognized.  This may still be a solution but not with device I have.

• thurgood

Anecdotal, I also have an HP 6715b laptop from 2008 with a windows 10 invite etc... Clicking on the icon to begin the process, the program looks at my laptop and immediately says that the upgrade can't be done because the video card is so out of date, etc. etc. It's a really slow integrated video chip...

Howver looking around the net, I find that folks are already using windows 10 on this model using a workaround. So... there is hope, we are still in the early days.

Personally, I am still in love with windows 7...   So I'm watching and waiting on the windows 10 front...

• swub1

I am now running the released Windows 10.  No problems, sometimes I do have issues with both LAN and Wireless NIC drivers I suspect.  So far the fix has been to reboot the PC.  Problem was worse on preview so perhaps it has been resolved.

Good Luck!

• dgaraux

Unfortunatly rebooting has done nothing for me.  What version of Windows di you upgrade from?

• swub1

Window 7.  That is what mine came with.

• Tooo

which wireless card do you have? Maybe the drivers will be updated. Good luck and thanks for your reply!

• dgaraux

I uninstaled and reinstalled Windows 10 and this time everything works as advertised.  Don't know what went wrong with virst attempt?

• Tooo

And do you see a speed improvement or other improvements on your 5742?

• abrasax
    abrasax Member Posts: 6 New User

I have tried upgrading from win 8.1 and after that formatting and installing fresh, but I get BSOD often, stating something about the cpu. I will try to install it again to see if something changed in the updates. So far it's not looking so good for us.

• viele01
    viele01 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Yo tengo uno actualizado a windows 10 y me funciona perfecto.tan solo beje los driver de la tarjeta de red por la de windows 7 y perfecto.

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello viele01

We are happy you have joined the Acer Support Forums.
    The Acer Community is a global peer to peer support forum where users share their experiences and expertise with Acer products.

Because of the multi-national nature of our community, we have asked that users post in English only, as that is the most common language to all users. By doing this, our members are more likely to get a response to their question, and those answers will be available to the entire community as a resource.

• thurgood

"Yo tengo uno actualizado a windows 10 y me funciona perfecto.tan solo beje los driver de la tarjeta de red por la de windows 7 y perfecto".

Translation:

I have one (aspire5742) upgraded to Windows 10 and it runs perfectly. The only thing I did was download the windows 7 drivers for the network card and it runs perfectly.

• thurgood

Just installed win10 on my acer aspire 5742 this morning. Perefect, no problems or conflicts with hardware. 

• swub1

Getting it installed is not a problem.  Getting the FREE upgrade from Microsoft is the problem.  Since ACER does not want to support it and Microsoft isn't going to give away free support either you will find that "FREE" just won't happen.  I have opted to run Linux on this computer which is "FREE"!

I don't know who to be more disgusted with ACER for not supporting thier product or Microsoft for false advertising that you can upgrade to Windows 10 for "FREE"!  Oh - This will be my last ACER that is for sure!

• viele01
    viele01 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hola yo actualize a Windows 10, y el unico problema fue el dispositivo señalador me baje el de windows 7 y de maravilla,ese dispositivo es el cuadradito tactil,saludos.

• Rosey
    Rosey Member Posts: 22 New User

Hi. I upgraded to windows 10 on my aspire 5742 about 6 months ago after a message on the tool bar told me I could.I didn't notice any problems until today. When trying to start the computer a black screen then a screen that says acer and at the bottom of the page press (f2) for setup. Those two screens continuously swapped, but that was it. I rang acer support and they have told me that although everything seemed to be working ok, in the background it has been corrupting my motherboard and that i need to do a complete restore of windows 7 which will wipe all of the data on my computer. i am now trying to backup everything onto an external hard drive. I don't know a lot of technical stuff, but thought I'd share my experience and maybe there's someone out there who can tell me an easier way to fix my computer without wiping everything?

• philcas
    philcas Member Posts: 5 New User

can an acer aspire 5742 be upgraded to windows 10?

g

What vesion of windows 10 are you running?  I have noe been able to upgrade to vefsion 1607 from 1511.  Version 1511 worked but I wanted to get to the latest version but it won't install.  

If you are running version 1607 then I have to keep searching until I fine the solution.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.