Acer Aspire Windows 10 Alt+F10 recovery disc-to-disc

dablik415
dablik415 Member Posts: 17 New User

Hey there guys. I have laptop Acer Aspire v15 Nitro and I did update to Windows 10 from my Windows 8.1 OS. It seems that everything works just fine for me, even drivers installed "themselves" (no need actually to download anything from web, maybe just cardreader). I got only one question as I can't find it anywhere on the net. I want to create recovery disk but what is the issue. When I start my Acer Recovery Management, I can only create recovery USB (or other media, but I don't have CD-ROM so only USB). However, in BIOS I can see that there is some option telling me, that I can do Alt+F10 to do some disc-to-disc recovery. I have never owned an Acer before so I don't know how it works. But when I press such combination in POST phase, nothing changes, computer simply continues to boot to Windows. I'd like to use such way of creating recovery partition, instead of making some recovery USB, is I have SSD+HDD combination so I have loads of free space on HDD.
P.S.: Can't find answer on net, everyone just says about creating recovery media

Thanks in advance!!!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

ALT+F10 is called D2D, since it will re-install windows from a recovery partition on the same HDD.

you can only create a recovery media on external devices connected via USB.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • dablik415

Thanks for your reply!!!
    So, how can I create D2D Recovery partition on that disk (in my case SSD). I have two recovery partition on SSD on which I have Windows 10 installed. One is 450MB large (I found on the web that it's the Windows recovery partition) and second 300MB large, but they are both empty (at least disk manager from windows shows it).
    I found on the web, that for such recovery (Alt+F10), you must have something like 18GB large recovery partition (PQservice; but im not sure it if is true or not).
    Can you help me to solve it out what to do? Thanks Smiley HappyUntitled.jpg

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

?????

I'm pretty sure Acer recommends that you create a USB factory default recovery drive right after you purchase a Windows 8.1 computer.  At least that's what it said in my literature that came with my Windows 8.1 computers.

A 16GB USB flash drive is something like 5 or 6 bucks at Walmart or Best Buy.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26287

• IronFly

i can't see any reference about a recovery partition.

if it was a windows 10 device from factory, i would told you that a recovery partition is no more needed, since windows now uses system files to create it.

but since you updated to windows 10...i don't think this is possible.

by the way you had to create the USB recovery media prior to update to windows 10, not after.

you can't create a D2D recovery partition in your situation.

if you will use ALT+F10 it will only boot to windows 10 recovery enviroment and give you few options.

in my opinion, create a windows 10 bootable media, in the worst case you can re-install from scratch.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-10-Installation-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/ta-p/394236

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I always create a recovery drive on a microSD card first and then take a full system image on a TB external drive (will create a recovery folder and can keep several so make sure to use a folder name that tells you which machine and when).

This way you can recover even if the drive fails (I switched my R3-131T-P344 from a WD HDD to a Samsung EVO SSD with 5X the speed and used this method to restore).

I have seen recovery partitions as small as 6GB but later versions give the option to remove and recover the space once you create a recovery flash drive. On a 32GB machine this can be important.

• dablik415

microSD solution seems good. I have external HDD as well, but when I try to create recovery on that HDD, Recovery Management tells me, that it will format whole disk and then create recovery image, but I don't want to format my drive, when I have stuff on it. I could also use my internal HDD as I have combo, and OS is on SSD, but as I'm reading on the net, Windows 10 recovery system program won't give you drivers, while Acer recovery management will make your recovery image with drivers. What is truth about that?
    Thanks for your replys guys!! I really appreciate the Acer community!!!!

• IronFly

nope, recovery creation will only be available on external disk or media, windows or acer.

• dablik415

err, sorry but I don't really understand what you mean by that. can you explain??

• IronFly

dablik415 wrote:

I could also use my internal HDD as I have combo, and OS is on SSD, but as I'm reading on the net, Windows 10 recovery system program won't give you drivers, while Acer recovery management will make your recovery image with drivers. What is truth about that?
    Thanks for your replys guys!! I really appreciate the Acer community!!!!

oh i misread "drivers".

by the way, you must know that Acer recovery management (from windows 7) is only a trigger of...windows recovery management.

so it's the same process, so it will create the same recovery media with Acer drivers if Acer recovery partition on HDD/SSD is still intact. Smiley Happy

• dablik415

Hmm, strange, as Acer Recovery Management will let you create only some USB recovery, while Windows can create for you image, which can be saved wherever, so from this knowledge that Acer R.M. works the same as Windows R.M does, it's more comfortable for me to do it by windows R.M as I want to save it on my HDD.
    By the way, if I do so, what is the point of keeping these 2 recovery partitions on my SSD? 300MB and 450MB one. Is there any point of them??

Thanks!!

• IronFly

300MB was windows 8.1 recovery partition

450MB is windows 10 recovery partition

this is due to upgrade.

one thing is creating a recovery media, one thing is a system image. Smiley Happy

• dablik415

Yeah, I see your point, but is there any point of keeping these partitions? Or can I allocate them and merge them with other partition (one I'm using). Or I mean like, what is the point of these partitions...

• IronFly
  • dablik415

Allright, I found some old 8GB USB at home, so I created a recovery drive from this USB. I didn't try it but I hope it'll work Smiley Very Happy Now I can free some space by deleting these 2 partitions. Smiley Happy Thanks for your replies guys!!
    I love this community, better then (my previous) Lenovo!!!