ACER ASPIRE XC-603

klingerwolfi
klingerwolfi Member Posts: 3 New User

I upgraded my brand new Machine from WIN 8.1 to WIN 10. After all the Updates had been done, the PC freezes on Restart......have to Power of, and on again, it works once, then freezes on Restart again. I sent the Machine in for Repairs, ACER in Johannesburg responded with NOTHING WRONG with the Machine. After I received it back, I upgraded again to WIN10, and the same Problem occurs again. I had to do a Factory Restore again, and it works. I like WIN 10 a lot, it works well on my other PC(Lenovo), and I wonder if this Problem only happens with Acer? Does anyone have any Answers?

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi Klingerwolfi

The XC-603 is listed as compatible with Windows 10 (+ the November update). How are you installing it - inplace upgradeor fresh install?

• klingerwolfi

Thanks Finlux. I upgrade from the Windows10 upgrade offered on my Pc

• finlux

OK. There have been reported issues upgrading that way.

Go to your regional Microsoft site & search for the Windows 10 download tool. Now burn this to disk (or USB). It will also be worth going to Acer support & downloading all your drivers - also check to see if there are any updated for Windows 10.

Back up all your files & documents. Boot the new OS & perform a clean install. If your PC was running 8.0/8.1 your product key is stored in your BIOS/UEFI & is not needed. If it was Win 7, then take a note of your product key from the label on the side of your case.

Now (hopefully Smiley Very Happy) Windows 10 will work without a hitch

• klingerwolfi

Thank you Finlux!!! Hope I can do that....Smiley SadAm not very clued with all those Procedures....BUT THANKS alot, and have a Happy Prosperous 2016!!!!

• finlux
    You're very welcome. Any other questions, just give me a call Smiley Happy

And happy new year to you too!
  • im4bsd5
    im4bsd5 Member Posts: 4 New User

If you haven't resolved the problem yet. just wondering what the output of the following in command prompt is?

wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

If you haven't got your Win 10 installed and running yet.. and if you don't like to type DOS commands but want to know what Bios your using you can also get that info by Pressing the Windows logo Key on your keyboard and R. Then a run box will come up and you can Type msinfo32      Then press the Enter/Return key and a window will pop up with some info about your system. about 1/2 down in that window on the right you will have your Bios info... It will look like part of a screen shot from my system today...

Screenshot (13).png

I put my Stock 500gb drive back into my XC603 so I could get the Updates and the NEW version of Win 10 install on this Drive. It is now my Backup drive because I have installed a 1tb

However I do want to say that I did install this Win10 with Bios P11-B0 and the one that is there showing now is P11-B2 let me say that it didn't matter what bios I had installed for the Update to 10 on this machine anyway....

This computer isn't the standard XC603 anymore because of all the Updates that I have done to it. Installed 8gb ram, Installed 1tb HDD, installed a Wireless ACBGN / Bluetooth 4.0 in the system and Bios update... my ssytem is the AXC-603-UR15. J1800, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD Base system to start. Once I get the Update to Windows 10, 10586 I will put my 1Tb back in... I use the 500 as a Backup incase something goes wrong down the road..

0109162328.jpg

Also to be clear. I did all the updates to the XC-603 after my install of Win10. So it isn't that it is upgraded for the reason it was able to take 10. 

James

• im4bsd5

My XC-603 is off the shelf and the symptoms the user is asking about are exactly the same as i was experiencing.

all the clean installs and driver updates helped nought.

the latest bios update was long after the release of win 10

P11.B4  Update Intel Microcode M0C30678831.  2015/11/04

this resolved the problem (restart) I have no idea how maybe someone may have info on this.

to anyone that does this please be aware of risks involved

thanks hth

edited 2016/01/11 added description of bios

• im4bsd5

g'day James sorry if my reply earlier may have appeared to be a bit short, nothing was intended i was in a bit of a rush this morning.

as far as your bios for your machine goes if you've installed windows 10 and it works obviously no reason to consider update.

when i purchased my machine it was running windows 8 and updated to 8.1 which was fine,(unfortunately i didn't make note of the old bios version i was running) when windows 10 was launched eventually i tried the download upgrade and this was a joke, not only was the restart issue a problem but numerous other windows application were causing grief, 

• I updated the drivers from acer
    • downloaded media creation tool did clean install
    • did resets
    • sfc
    • dism

etc etc

worst thing i could have done was go to MS community and ask, as the mse's responding sent me on a wild goose chase, there problem is that they don't consider that the user's machine may not be in a state to accept win 10 which it wasn't, so I gave up with trying to resolve the problem through that avenue.

I'm trying to recall this from memory, at the time i visited acer to check on drivers i think that the drop down box showing operating systems only went to 8.1 and sometime after acer released the new bios that i referred earlier i revisited the download page and discovered that support for the XC-603 had happened and immediately downloaded and updated to latest version.

As I stated earlier, the hang on restart issue is fixed, once i was confident i did another clean install after this was sorted, in case things were messed up as a result of bios issue, whether that was necessary or not, don't know.

regards Brad