Trouble updating A500

Sand3
Sand3 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 4 in 2018 Archives

I'm trying to update my A500's OS. I've installed the Iconia Tab Update Enhancement, but it doesn't seem to have done anything and it doesn't appear in my Apps. My A500 is currently running 3.2.1 and I know there's a newer OS available for the A500, but the System Update function still doesn't work (was the Tab Update supposed to fix that?) and I haven't been able to find instructions on manually updating the OS.

The mini-tutorials I've found regarding the Tab Update all seem to indicate that it's just supposed to start working as soon as I install it, but it's not doing anything. I've tried letting it sit and I've tried restarting my tablet, still nothing.

Is there a way to manually download and install the latest OS for my tablet, if so, can somebody point me at instructions?

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

You may check in this weblink for OS update http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers 

You need to select "search by model number" and insert A500.

Then select the operating system drop down menu and click the OS tab.

It would display the list of OS updates.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.png to say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

What build are you running? (settings, tablet, about)

You have to download the correct version to match your current locale before anything else works. You'll need an SD card sized large enough to hold the zipped OS image. You might have to do an interrum update before you can do the final OS update.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sand3

Build number Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2

I have 12.36GB internal space available right now, what size SD card do I need?

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

You may check in this weblink for OS update http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers 

You need to select "search by model number" and insert A500.

Then select the operating system drop down menu and click the OS tab.

It would display the list of OS updates.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.png to say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• billsey

Use the link Sharanji provided, you'll need to first upgrade to the PA_CUS1 build, then you can upgrade to the final 4.0 build. Make sure your microSD card is formated FAT32 and place the update.zip file from the archive you download in the root directory. You should be good to go!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sand3

There are no OS downloads listed for A500s. The only downloads available are USB drivers (my USB works fine) and an app called "Acer Sync". No OS downloads are listed, but I know that there are newer OS builds for my device than the one I'm currently running; how do I get it if the Acer webpage no longer supports the download?

• billsey

Did you select the Android 3.2 HoneyComb operating system before selecting the O.S. tab? I see three OS builds there. You want the 7.014.02.041.205.01.PA.CUS1 one which upgrades Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2. Once you have that done you can go to the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich version and upgrade once more.

• Sand3

So I've downloaded the ICS zip and the downloads page says "Please download and read SD image upgrade manual from document page to upgrade this image." but the documents page has no such manual. It has a user manual, but that doesn't have any information about SD image upgrades. Poking through a few Google searches, what I've found indicates that all I have to do is put the zip in the SD's route directory, rename it 'update', plug it into my tablet, and start up in recovery mode.

When I do this though, I get the little android logo with a caution sign in his middle and no information. He stays on the screen for a few minutes and then it powers down and restarts normally. What am I supposed to do now?

• billsey

Nope, though you are close. Smiley Happy If you look inside the zip you downloaded you will find it contains an update.zip file. This is what you want on the SD card, not a renamed version of the download. When you go into recovery mode, if the correct update.zip file exists it should give you the option to install.

• Sand3

Thank you! It's working fine now!

• billsey

Great! Let me know if you have problems with the next one, but it should be the same. Smiley Happy

• lagilliland
    lagilliland Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same issue with my A500 updating.  I am trying to do what you told Sand3 to do but my tablet does not have a SD card slot?  Can I put this file in a directory in the tablet using the USB port from my PC?

Thanks,

lagilliland

• lagilliland
    lagilliland Member Posts: 2 New User

I have tried doing the update from a USB flash drive and all I get is the Android symbol with a caution sign and exclaimation point.  Then after a minute or two it goes into the normal boot-up procedure.  What might I be doing wrong?  Will it not work from a USB stick?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    No, it will not work from an USB stick.
    By the way the A500 has microSD slot.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • billsey

lagilliland wrote:

I have the same issue with my A500 updating.  I am trying to do what you told Sand3 to do but my tablet does not have a SD card slot?  Can I put this file in a directory in the tablet using the USB port from my PC?

Thanks,

lagilliland

The microSD slot is behind the door at the top, off to the side of the volume rocker. You can't do the updates from a USB stick.

• optimus28
    optimus28 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi

I'm trying to upgrade my acer a500 tablet. the android version is 3.0.1. will this upgrade work on mine ? The build number is Acer_A500_1.104.02_com_gen1. I followed your instructions, Do I do a hard reset (power plus vol + plus lock button slide) after I put the update on the SD card ? Do I unzip it before I put it onto the sc card ? or just put the update file on the sc card ?

can you put a step by step on here for me.

Thanks

Steve 

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the only update available for GEN1 is to 3.2:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/OS/OS/OS_Acer_7.014.01.041.203.01.WW.GEN1_A32H_A.zip?acerid=635454930441309386&Step1=TABLET&Step2=ICONIA%20A&Step3=A500&OS=A08&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

you will find the update instructions inside the zip file, i would suggest you to do a factory reset before and after the update.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • optimus28

downloaded the file, unzipped, what file can I find instructions ?

Thanks

Steve

• billsey

You can install the last supported Android operating system on your Acer; tablet with the use of a microSD card.

1. Visit the Drivers and Manuals section of Acer support website.
    2. Enter your Serial Number/SNID or search for your product by Model.
    3. Choose your Operating System from the drop down menu.
    4. Select the OS tab, and then click on the most recent firmware version.
    5. Click the Download link for the file you want to download.
    6. Use a computer to format your microSD card (512 MB is recommended), it needs to be FAT32.
    7. Copy the update.zip file (from within the zip you downloaded) to your formatted microSD card. Do not extract the update.zip file and make sure to place the file in the root of the microSD drive.
    8. Insert the microSD card into the tablet’s memory card reader.
    9. Plug in the adapter and make sure battery capacity is above 30%.
    10. Boot the tablet with a special button sequence. Different tablets may have different sequences:
      • Press and hold the Volume Down button then press and hold the Power button on the tablet. Once the tablet vibrates, release the Power button but still holdVolume Down button.
      -or-
      • Press and hold the Volume Down button (closest to Power) then press and hold the Power button on the tablet. Once the tablet vibrates, release the Power button but still hold Volume Down button. When the tablet vibrates again, release the Volume Down button then press and hold the Volume Up button.Once the Power key white LED lights up, release the Power key but still hold the Volume Up key.
    11. Release the Volume Up key when the message Erasing Cache before SD update.... shows on the screen.
    12. A menu may appear. Use the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons to move between the options and the Power button to select the highlighted option. You will want an option to apply update from external storage.
    13. Select the update.zip file on the microSD card.
    14. The OS firmware is updated. This process will take a few minutes. The tablet will automatically reboot when it is complete.

• optimus28

Hi

Wanted to say thank you for the instructions. got the wifes a500 updated and running better than mine !

Steve Wright

• billsey

Happy to have been of help. Smiley Happy