I have an a1-830. Should I update the software?

Options
steelerfan86
steelerfan86 Member Posts: 4 New User

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,520 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

It depends a lot on your useage. The most common complaint seems to be with the Netflix app with music playback not far behind. If those functions are important to your use you might want to sit back and watch until there are solutions. If they aren't too high on the list the other stuff seems to be better in KitKat.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• sathya0403
    Options
    Hi,

Can you be a bit more specific, is that software update from Acer, If yes. Yes you can install that would be upgrade to Kitkat,.
    Cheers
  • steelerfan86
    Options
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

It depends a lot on your useage. The most common complaint seems to be with the Netflix app with music playback not far behind. If those functions are important to your use you might want to sit back and watch until there are solutions. If they aren't too high on the list the other stuff seems to be better in KitKat.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 13MattR
    13MattR Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    I updated my a1-830 to KitKat and it has ran like a charm for a couple months now. Maybe even better. Even better RAM management also if your having a RAM issue like I was in jelly bean
  • kemmy4511
    kemmy4511 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I update mine and now I am stuck with a bricked tablet! Is there any firmware image in this site for A1 830???
  • gsm-terra
    gsm-terra Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options

A search on google found firmware for your device, both jejjybean and kitkat. Rules do not permit me to post links, also you would need to know a fair bit about flashing devices. I would recommend taking the tablet to your nearest Acer service centre. 

To the OP yes, kitkat is great on this tablet, any issues that were reported were ironed out in the patch Acer uploaded. My 830 runs smooth.

• steelerfan86
    Options
  • hasselbaink
    hasselbaink Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

Please don't spread false claims.

The bugs that occured after the initial KK update have not been ironed out with the latest patch.

At best, the patch made the tablet freeze less, but the the problem is still there.

Not only for me, but for many other users as well.

And Acer has not yet made the fallback and download of older FW version available,

with no apparent intent to do so.

• steelerfan86
    Options

Thanks for your help. I'm looking for a compelling reason to download the update, but haven't come across one yet. I'll continue as is. Thanks again.

• gsm-terra

Tinkerer

Options
    Spreading false claims? What planet are you on?
  • gsm-terra

Tinkerer

Options

My tablet is working perfectly fine, I have no issues since the update, hardly a false claim... If you have issues with your tablet take it up with Acer

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• hasselbaink

Tinkerer

Options

Oh, man...

Here we go...

• hasselbaink

Tinkerer

Options

Relax, man. Smiley Happy

Just because your tablet is working fine,

it doesn't mean that the OP should just go ahead and update.

Get it? It is a false claim to say so.

Myself, and many other users, are experiencing problems,

and it is fair to say that everyone should be warned before updating, don't you think?

Especially since it looks like Acer doesn't give *** about our issues

and isn't willing to help out by providing the old SW for legal download.

As for your accusation of trolling...

What do you think I, and many other users with same and/or similar problems,

are doing here, on ACER community boards?

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Dear Community Members,

I would like to offer a friendly reminder that this is a peer to peer support community. As such we ask you to please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Thanks,

Phil-3
    Community Moderator

• laacaa
    laacaa Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Sadly I have the same freeze issue. With Kit Kat update I got freeze regulary almost in every hour. And my tablet always forgot everything. Wifi passwords etc. I tried factory reset several time but everything became worst. More regulary freeze, and again, my tablet forgot everything. Not helped the .007 update too. Few days ago a flashed back everything to JB (needed to google a time to find the method Smiley Tongue ) and tried the whole update again.

Now I have the latest version (again), still have freeze sometimes, but lot rarely as before and at least not forget the wifi passwords after that. 

Anyway, today morning I got antoher freeze and my boot time was more than an hour because my tablet always got a freeze and a restart. So still have serious problems. I hope we get another patch very soon or this was the last time when I bought Acer product. Smiley Sad

By the way one of my friend have the same tablet. Bought at the same place as I, few weeks before as I bought mine. He don't have any problem so I know why think it few user everything is ok. Smiley Happy

ps. sorry for my english

• hasselbaink

Tinkerer

Options

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention the "forgetting the WI-FI pass" problem.

I have that as well. Smiley Happy

• billsey
    Options

Laacaa, your problems sure sounds like hardware errors to me. I wonder if the SSD is full or failing? If it were unable to write reliably you might get a lot of those symptoms...

• hasselbaink

Tinkerer

Options

Yes, hardwer problems that are the same with many users,

and all occured AFTER the software update.

How interesting...