Acer Iconia W510 won't boot after recovery

an_dimitrova92
an_dimitrova92 Member Posts: 10 New User
Hello! My tablet was experiencing some problems and I wanted to recover it using the recovery media. Everything was going just fine during the recovery process, until it got to the step Installing cleanup 52/53. I left it running and after about 12 hours I got back home and saw it was restarting, but it seemed to be stuck there, so I hold the power button down to shut it down and turn it back on. But when I turned it back on, an error message came Your pc needs to be repaired. The operating system couldn't be loaded, because the system registry file is missing. You can use recovery media... But the recovery media apparently couldnt do anything, this error appears everytime after the acer logo. Please help!!! Smiley Sad

Best Answer

• an_dimitrova92
    Answer ✓
    So I eventually succeeded in recovering my tablet despite some forced turns off-s and turn back on-s which I had to do during the process, since it stuck several times. But now everything's running really slowly, for example Internet explorer won't start at all, task manager either or after at least 30 secs - 1 minute... The first time after the recovery it connected to the wifi, but because it was slowly I restarted it. Then it lost the wifi connection, said there were no wifi networks available. Restarted it again, this time it started to scan the C drive, got to 1℅, then turned off. Can someone please tell me what is the reason for all this and how can I fix it? Smiley Sad

Answers

• Hi,
    Sorry that you were not able to complete the recovery,. this could be of 2 reasons,. 1: Recovery media is corrupted or damaged(as its a DVD Disc) or 2: HDD failing,. So you may try again with the same recovery media, & that most of the times will work
  • an_dimitrova92
    Hi again. I tried it again and it worked. The problem was that somehow the BIOS didn't detect anymore that the CD was in the external drive. After reconnecting the drive again, it was detected right. So now I am in the recovery process again and it is right at the same step - installing cleanup. What comes after that step? Is the machine restarting and how long does it take? Maybe it was normal to be stuck there and I shouldn't have forced the turn off yesterday?
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Have found that sometimes Windows just goes away aand hides for hours at a time. You used to be able to check the drive light for activity or liten to the disk heads move but they fixed that.

• an_dimitrova92
    Answer ✓
    So I eventually succeeded in recovering my tablet despite some forced turns off-s and turn back on-s which I had to do during the process, since it stuck several times. But now everything's running really slowly, for example Internet explorer won't start at all, task manager either or after at least 30 secs - 1 minute... The first time after the recovery it connected to the wifi, but because it was slowly I restarted it. Then it lost the wifi connection, said there were no wifi networks available. Restarted it again, this time it started to scan the C drive, got to 1℅, then turned off. Can someone please tell me what is the reason for all this and how can I fix it? Smiley Sad
  • padgett

Task Manager (right click in tray) can tell you exactly where the load is. Click once or twice on CPU in Processes to rank in order of load. Make sure to click the check box  on "Show processes from all users".

Normally a quiet machine with little load will be 85-95% on System Idle Process.

Also look under Performance and you should have about a GB under Physical Memory > Available.

At the bottom I'd expect CPU Usage to be under 20% (might be as little as 0%) and Physical Memory around 50%

• an_dimitrova92
    Thank you and yes, I'm aware of that. However, I don't see anything suspicious in my processes' percentage. The problems I mentioned above are somehow resolved now, by themselves (thank God), but an annoying problem keeps driving me crazy - as I surf the internet( no matter if on IE or Chrome) all of a sudden the tablet lags and does not react on any command such as ctrl+alt+dell or something. All I can do is force shut down and then start surfing again until it lags again and so on... Also I am almost sure that happens not only when surfing, but with just interacting with anything on the tablet. Any ideas?
  • padgett

Sometime a script just hangs. Have you tried disabling all plugins ?

• an_dimitrova92
    Yes, I tried. No difference Smiley Sad
  • an_dimitrova92
    It doesn't have anything to do with internet, it doesn't matter what I am doing on the tablet. For example, I start it, it loads completely, I leave it on for a couple of minutes and when I come back to it, the screen is black, just like as it were in sleep mode, but then no interaction can wake up the screen. So the only option is again the force shut down one...
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,444 Trailblazer

That sounds like a different error than the onr where it lags while browsing the internet. Have you checked the Power settings? Extend the timeout for sleep mode and see if it lasts longer before freezing. That will help tell if the second issue is a sleep recovery problem or something else.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • an_dimitrova92
    No, it isn't the sleep. It freezes not after a concrete time, it happens randomly - sometimes after 2 Minutes, sometimes after 10. And it doesn't always show the black screen, sometimes it just freezes. There are cases in which I find the black screen, do the force shut down, then once it loads completely, a message comes that the pc ran into a problem and needed to restart...
  • padgett

That sounds like a battery issue. I'd suggest downloading BatteryInfoView , set to logging every 10 seconds, wait for it to happen, and see if there is anything odd in the log. Could also go the EventViewer, clear out everything, then, after an occurance, see if anything happened at the same time.

• sudanec
    sudanec Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my Iconia W510. Managed to solve it by using an optical drive interrupt to override the on-the-top screen telling "Installing Cleanup". The complete guide is here:

http://borovicka.blogspot.sk/2015/03/Acer-Cleanup-recovery-issue.html