Cursor jumps all over the place while I am typing

sh61
sh61 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire 5733Z Laptop and just recently, my cursor jumps all over the place while I am typing.  Has anyone else come across his problem and if so, is there a solution?

Best Answer

Answers

• J3Z
    J3Z Member Posts: 14 New User
    Answer ✓

The issue might be because of the sensitivity of the touchpad.

Decrease the touchpad sensitivity.

Please follow the steps:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12386/kw/jumping%20cursor 

• sh61

I found that the answer to my problem was to first download the driver for the touchpad, then I was able to adjust the sensitivity.  Worked like a charm.  Thank you for your help.

• aqua44
    aqua44 Member Posts: 1 New User

i got advice from Acer online to download the updated driver and then go in and lower the sensitivity. IT IS NOT HELPING.

my text is being deleted as i type... it takes me to another page in the middle of a game... i am going crazy.

please help.

Julie

• sh61

Are you using the Microsoft Word app when you type, because you may have hit the INSERT key, this will cause words to be deleted as you type?

• splinternet
    splinternet Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, could you let me know where you got the driver from?  The Acer support site doesn't include the touchpad in its list of downloadable drivers for the Aspire 8930G

• Housetricks
    Housetricks Member Posts: 1 New User

I had the same issue - and it was driving me crazy. I tried going to the touchpad sensitivity section and found no change. I then realized I was using an older ACER power supply to charge my Laptop. Once I found the correct power supply and plugged it in, the jumping cursor syndrome completey vanished. Who knew?

Hope this resolves your issue.

Paul

• sh61

Splinternet, you can get the touchpad driver by going to this link http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Alternatively, you can go to the Acer website and click on drivers and downloads, select your laptop model and this should take you to a page where you can download the touchpad driver.

[edited - repaired link]

• splinternet
    splinternet Member Posts: 2 New User

Well, I'm using the same power supply that came with the laptop when I got it new.   Actually, I think the problem may be an OS/driver one;   the laptop came loaded with Vista (it's just short of 6 years old) and I upgraded it to Windows 7 about 2or 3 years ago.   I think this was probably when I started noticing the problem.   The problem with the Acer driver download site is that it doesn't provide a Windows 7 (32-bit) Touchpad driver, only for Vista.   I had an utterly frustrating dialog with Acer support recently who basically said they can't help.  I also wrote to Synaptics in the hope that they produced a Win7 driver, but I've heard nothing.   So essentially it seems I'm stuck with this problem for good.

• rrman
    rrman Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer Aspire One 7220 (Windows 7) which comes with a special Elan driver for the touchpad.

Click World

Click Control Panel

Click Mouse to get the properties menu

Click the Elan tab

Click Options

Scroll down to the Sensitivity button

Click it

Use the slider to change the sensitivity

Click OK, etc to close the menus.

• emersonpmoraes
    emersonpmoraes Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanks Paul,

The problem was the power supply.
    I turned off the plug and the problem disappeared.
    I had tried all sorts of suggestions before.

Thank you very much.

Emerson

• jgrob2002
    jgrob2002 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello, My Aspire R5 471T just started having the issue of the cursor jumping around.  Can't understand why the sensitivity of the touch pad would suddenly increase. I am not able to find a driver with the link for a driver download, only a bios download for the touch pad.  I am not completely sure if the bios download is what I need to turn down the sensitivity. Can you confirm.  Temporarily I have changed settings to turn off the touch pad while using the wireless mouse.  This seems to have helped however this computer is only 7 months old so I don't think I should have to take this measure.  Please provide touch pad sensitivity setting instructions for this model using Windows 10. Thanks!

• Robbvb
    Robbvb Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same issue with Acer Spin 5 SP513 series manufactured on 27/05/2017
  • isloomzy
    isloomzy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just go to bluetooth setting and then go to devices then go to ur mouse then right click on ur mouse then forget the device and then unplug the mouse and then plug it again then ur done:3