Aspire One D257 Black Screen - BIOS Fix?

Options
s3phir0th115
s3phir0th115 Member Posts: 2 New User

There are prior posts like mine:

Like this: http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/D257-Black-Screen/m-p/180239#M32234

And this: http://community.acer.com/t5/2013-Archives/D257-Won-t-boot-black-screen/td-p/71927

And I'm encountering the same issue, it just goes to a black screen with a cursor.

Here's what I've attempted so far:

-Removing the RAM, no beeps like I'd expect, and no reaching the cursor screen.

-Trying other RAM, no change.

-Removing hard drive, no change. (I wouldn't expect it to, but I tried anyway)

-Removing the CMOS battery, regular battery, and ac adapter and pressing the power button for a few seconds in an attempt to clear out said CMOS, no change.

-I read about previous models that had a similar issue, and they documented that you could find the BIOS and a "fla**bleep**.exe" and recover the system that way, as mentioned here:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-46702-aspire-one-wont-boot-even-the-bios-dont-show

So, what I attempted, was getting the normal BIOS from support, and running a 7zip extraction on the Windows BIOS installer, which produced, among other files, a FD file. I tried keeping the file named this way, as well as renaming to "ZG5IA32.FD" as previous documentation suggests, and copying them all to a FAT32 formatted flash drive. This didn't work, and neither did getting the original fla**bleep**.exe and placing it on the flash drive as well. All of this was attempted with the flash drive inserted and by pressing FN+Esc.

I do suspect this has a similar recovery mode, as the power button won't blink, but a front light will blink when I do FN+Esc.

As this device is now out of warranty, I was hoping to not have to send it in if there is simply a means of recovering it via a flash drive with the right files and FN+Esc, like previous models and like hinted at with this model. If anyone might tell me what needs done, I'd appreciate it.

Answers

• s3phir0th115
    s3phir0th115 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

It looks like one of the executable names is censored, but the point should be clear.

Anyway, can anyone offer information on this? I'd liketo bring this back to a working state.

• salvadorv
    salvadorv Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I am fixing a friends Aspire one D257. Followed the instructions on the threads here on downloading and updating to the latest bios version provided on your HTP link. But it did the same thing s3phir0th115 has described. Power button just blinks after pushing the FN, ESC + power button. The power button would blink a couple of times then it will turn back off. I tried to access the bios by pressing F2 on power on, still no display. Tried Alt + F10 too to go to the advance boot option but still no luck. It just shows power button steady on, but no cursor, no bios splash screen. But what's interesting is once you unplug and replug the power charger, the computer will beep to indicate it. This shows that the MOBO still has remaining life in it. Just need some means to get back into that boot options so I could at least reinstall windows. But how can you do that if you can't access the advance boot either. I was about to tear this laptop apart and reseat everything I can find but good thing I say your post, and would hold off on doing so up untill somebody will share some success story on this. If anybody had this issue and came up with solution, a simple share of knowledge will be much appreaciated. BTW, when I first took home this netbook, it instantly booted to windows login screen. Too bad I didn't know the password yet and it went to sleep mode before my friend's text arrived. Then the dreaded BSOD came on and a dead end so far. Please share, I know this MOBO still has life inside, we just got to find the gateway to let it out, so to speak. 

This discussion has been closed.