Acer Iconia A1-810 stuck on logo after the KitKat update

MMeGa
MMeGa Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 4 in 2018 Archives

I received the update notification today for the KItKat update (I installed the prerequisite update with no problems) and let it download then proceeded with installation. After it has finished the tablet rebooted and it has been stuck on the Acer boot logo ever since. What am I supposed to do now?!

Best Answer

• MMeGa
    Answer ✓

The tablet is now working again, for anyone facing the same problem here's the solution in detail:

1- Go to Acer's support page > Drivers and manuals > Choose your device model > Choose OS tab > Download the OS corresponding your region.
    2- Copy the "update.zip" file to an external SD card and insert in the device.
    3- While turned off, press and hold the volume up button and then power button for three seconds. Let go when the screen lights up.
    4- Now you should be looking at the recovery mode menu. Navigate using volume buttons and choose "apply update from external storage" and browse for your "update.zip" file.
    5- The tablet will now install the OS, reboot and go through the first time using setup.

Unfortunately, all of the data on the tablet will be lost. Thanks a lot Acer!
    Also, I thank IronFly for his help.

Answers

• MMeGa

Is there anyway I could get it back working without losing the data? or at least copy it using any method before going for the factory reset? I really need the data on it and I have no backup of it unfortunately.
    Thank you for your reply.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    If i remember correctly it will not erase the storage data since it's an emulated SD card.
    You will lose applications, contacts and messages.

I don't think you were able to connect the tablet when stuck on acer logo but give it a try.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MMeGa

I did the factory reset and it is still stuck on logo...

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i think you have 2 options:

1) wait until an update.zip for 4.4 will be available

2) download 4.2 zip file from Acer support and flash it with SD update instruction you will find on the .zip file.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MarceloIvan
    MarceloIvan Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I'm marcelo of the country chile, I have the same error as you I ise a hard reset and I still is not my tablet is stuck in the logo of acer, if you find the solution can you tell me where and as isiste please. (sorry for the English use a translator)

• MMeGa
    Answer ✓

The tablet is now working again, for anyone facing the same problem here's the solution in detail:

1- Go to Acer's support page > Drivers and manuals > Choose your device model > Choose OS tab > Download the OS corresponding your region.
    3- While turned off, press and hold the volume up button and then power button for three seconds. Let go when the screen lights up.
    4- Now you should be looking at the recovery mode menu. Navigate using volume buttons and choose "apply update from external storage" and browse for your "update.zip" file.
    5- The tablet will now install the OS, reboot and go through the first time using setup.

• MarceloIvan
    MarceloIvan Member Posts: 2 New User

gracias muchas gracias ahora mi tablet funciona de maravilla

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

MMeGa wrote:

Great MMeGa, Were you able to get to 4.4 after you got back up and running?

• Yman
    Yman Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi All,

As you can imagine by me posting here, yes you guess right - I got the same problem with my Acer A1-810 tablet.

First of all let say that I have been very please with this tablet since Nov of last year (original OS v4.2.2 - JB)

About 10 days ago I got an invitation from Google to upgrade to v.4.4.x - KK, which I did.  All went well and it did work fine for about the same number of days.  One morning at power-on it stopped at the Acer logo.

I have done soft resets, hard resets (desperate resets!!!) to no avail.  Yesterday I found this thread and followed it to the letter (downloaded and unzipped AV052.RV27RC03.WW.GEN1 and then ran the 'update.zip').  The excercise ended up in aborting; please read the error notification below:

ERROR!

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.name") == "a1-810_ww_gen1"
    installation aborted.

I happened to notice that this patch is for OS 4.2.2 and not for 4.4.x, so I do not understand how I can fix this problem when the unit is now KK version.

I called Google and although very polite and pleasant they said it is nothing to do with them and that it was not possible to revert to JB version, allbeing, it was their software that bricked my unit.  I also called Acer and again they could not help over the phone; but not to my surprise they have offered to collect the unit and send it to their repair centre - it is still under warranty.

Has anyone found a home (software) solution?  Thank you.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Your tablet is likely setup for a different locale than that particular build. The locale and the software build have to match before you can reload. What you need is the proper 'ipdate.zip' file for your tablet, with either JB or KK. It sounds as if KK was working fine for you until the boot loader got corrupted, so the KK image would be best. That pretty much what Acer will be doing for you, reinstalling a good image. I think it best to just go ahead and let them fix it, if it turns out the problem is a bad SSD then they'll replace the motherboard as well as reload the software.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ouija
    ouija Member Posts: 9 New User

I have the same bloody issue on my A1-810 (PA_CA Model).   Updated tonight via the Kitkat update online, popped it onto my sdcard, booted into the recovery menu by holding volume_up at power and flashed it.

Then it gave me a similiar error about that, I tried updating it again and it worked, updated the bootloader to a newer version, everything *looked* like it went off without a hitch, but now it's stuck in a constant boot loop, rebooting after it displays the initial boot logo and just when it looks like Android is about to start.

Tried reverting back to Jellybean, and now get the WONDERFUL error about assert failed: getprop("ro.product.name") == "a1-810_pa_ca" --- likely due to changes in the partitioning scheme and/or bootloader that were applied to the unit when updating to KitKat.

So now I've got me a nice paperweight, care of ACER'S shotty programming.   

If anyone has any REAL suggestions on how to fix this, I'm all ears.

• ouija

I think I may have caused my own issue by flashing the only kitkat zip that Acer has avaiable for downloads, and since it isn't in the "update.zip" format, this could be the issue for it failing to boot?  (I've noticied it is missing the TouchFw folder that the update.zips have, which could be causing some issues, but I'm not certain as I think it only has to do with the Touchsceen firmware)..

Why the hell these files are availiable for download then (if they can brick your device) is beyond me.

I think I need to obtain an official "Update.zip" version of the A1-810 KitKat update then (with this TouchFw folder and files in place) and I think this will solve my problem.  Now, the question is: Will Acer ever get around to releasing this, and if so, when?? Smiley Sad

OR I need to figure out a way to downgrade back to a working version of JB.... any suggestions are appreciated!!!

• ouija

SUCCESS!  

After a failed attempt at getting any type of support through Acer directly, and after being told out of warrenty repair would be $110 for a device that just had a firesale in August for prices as low as $60, I managed to resolve the issue by taking matters into my own hands tonight.

However, I cannot divildge the details of how I fixed it on here due to Acer's "rules" about information they care not to share with the public.

But the issue is now resoloved! Smiley Happy

• Yman
    Yman Member Posts: 2 New User

@Billsey:

Thank you for your comments.  After Acer repaired my unit in a very short period of time, the tablet is back as original with 4.2.2 JB OS.  The report says that the mainboard was replaced. You were on the ball!

Two questions for you: 1) Where can I get an image of the 4.4.2 KK OS and, 2) Would you say that it was just a coincidence of events, upgrading to KK and the hardware failing or, that the upgrade locked the unit?

These questions are geared to me making, or not, a new attempt to upgrade to KK.  Several user are reporting total success, which was not my case.  My new position is that if it cannot be upgraded I may move to another make; scalability is an issue specially in the present financial status quo.

Thank you.

@ Ouija: Please check your inbox messages

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

If they replaced the motherboard  then it likely was a bad SSD. The drive is soldered to the motherboard so a failure require a board swap. You weren't running into issues with KitKat that I can remember, so I'd allow the upgrade. Just wait for it to be offered rather than  trying to find an image. It'll happen, probably fairly quickly (days rather than weeks).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ouija

Honestly, because I had the EXACT same issue occur with my unit, I don't believe it was a hardware failure at all.

There is an issue with the OS installer that causes a problem with the bootloader, and reflashing this soved the problem for me (and I'm certain would have for your unit as well).

I doubt they even replaced the mainboard, likely sent you a different refurbished model which already had JB on it.

Just my 2 cents..

• yoshi_99
    yoshi_99 Member Posts: 2 New User

when it try to do the " power + volume up" i just get the acer logo. Any suggestions?

I can did a factory reset the other day because the tablet kept freezing now i can't get past the load screen

• mr_tickle
    mr_tickle Member Posts: 3 New User

I have found a solution to this issue that works with my A1 811 every time it locks up and gets stuck on the Acer boot logo.

These steps must be followed EXACTLY as shown below and in order, otherwise it won't work.

1) Unplug from mains electricity
    2) Remove SD Card
    3) Reboot Aso that Acer in big letters appears on screen
    4) Leave until battery has drained completely, can take 24 hours
    5) When tablet has run out of battery and switched off plug in and charge for 1 hour
    6) Switch off charger and unplug from mains power
    7) Reboot
    8) Insert SD Card

• Ronmio
    Ronmio Member Posts: 1 New User
    How do I determine which of the 12 OS images (a la "This image is only for ...") is for my A1-810?  The choices on the Acer download page are PA_CUS1 (there are 2 of these), PA_CA (there are 2 of these), WW_GEN1 (there are 2 of these), GC_GEN1 (there are 2 of these), TWN_GEN1 (there are 2 of these), TWN_UPC, and EMEA_FR.  There is nothing on the tablet's label referencing any of those codes and Acer forgot to include a reference table.  I suspect these correlate to regions (e.g., TWN for Taiwan, EMEA for Europe-Middle-East-Asia).  Does anyone know which of these I should download if I'm in the USA?