No signal detected on external monitor (ANS515-53)

JeefJeef
JeefJeef Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Hi I am currently trying to connect my monitor to my nitro 5 laptop with a vga cable and an hdmi adapter. It has worked before without any problems but recently I was trying to install windows 10 and I powered off my laptop because the screen went blank during the installation and now it refuses to display on my monitor. My laptop is also missing its original monitor so I am unable to see what is going.
I have tried reseating my ram, resetting my cmos by disconnecting and by using the tiny hole at the back of my laptop and I disconnected the battery and held the power button for 30 seconds to no avail. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022

>>>I was trying to install windows 10>>>

Did you try to turn the external screen on with the FN+F5 toggle key combo with the laptop plugged in?

Jack E/NJ

• JeefJeef

Tinkerer

@JackE I did try that but it didnt work I am also unable to access the bios screen with the hdmi

• JackE

Yeah, I was afraid of that. The installer is likely either trying to use the iGPU (which may only support an HDMI --- not VGA --- signals thru the HDMI port) or trying to use the internal screen. Do you have a TV set with HDMI input port?

Jack E/NJ

• JeefJeef

Tinkerer

@JackE No I don't sadly are there any other possible work arounds and would it possibly be fixed if I put my ssd in another laptop and reinstalled windows because I assume the installation is corrupted or damaged since I stopped it halfway through.

• JackE

Sorry probably not. The Nitro's own BIOS looks for a trusted file on the hidden EFI partition on the boot drive that was created inside the same Nitro, not another laptop. Even if this was not the case, the laptops would have to be identical for the drivers to work.

How about asking a friend with a TV set with HDMI input if you could try to hook it up? Without a functional lid LCD, a laptop with automatic hybrid graphics output can be fairly crippled. You might also want to consider replacing the lid screen as they really aren't too costly.

Jack E/NJ

• JeefJeef

Tinkerer

@JackE I was able to get a friend with an hdmi table and tv to test it they haven't done it yet but I just wanted to confirm if this would possibly fix the problem and ill definitely invest in an lcd in the future

• JackE

Yes, if the direct HDMI connection to TV set works and allows Windows to re-install and run VGA again, then I think it'd be worthwhile to replace the lid screen.

Jack E/NJ

• JeefJeef

Tinkerer

@JackE if it does work what drivers would I need to install or what would I need to do for it to work with my VGA cable and adapter since I do still wanna use it until i can afford the LCD and it was working perfectly fine before I tried installing windows 10 it would boot into windows 11 but it wouldn't show the acer screen or bios but now I know why at least

• JackE

>>>t has worked before without any problems>>>if it does work what drivers would I need to install>>>

All the drivers on the Acer AN515-53 download page for Win10.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7571?b=1

Jack E/NJ

• JeefJeef

Tinkerer

@JackE my friend was finally able to test the laptop on their monitor but still no display through the hdmi and they even tried to enter the bios with f2 but nothing, they also noted that the laptop was pretty loud do you possibly have any idea whats going on here?

• JackE

Did they try to toggle the HDMI screen on with the FN+F5 toggle key combination?

Jack E/NJ

• JeefJeef

Tinkerer

@JackE No I dont think they did but they did try pressing f2 to get into the bios but got nothing

• JackE

It's imperative that the FN+F5 toggle key was turned on. It's a multi-position toggle switch. It has to be toggled at least 3 times to see if the HDMI screen turns on.

Jack E/NJ

• JeefJeef

Tinkerer

@JackE If thats the case I will try it again and hope for the best

• JeefJeef

Tinkerer

@JackE I was able to test the laptop on a tv today and I tried fn+f5, f2 to enter the bios and just pressing space and enter but nothing displayed. Also some other things to note there were some moments where I pressed the power button and it turned on but the fan would spin for a bit and then stop and then it would maybe start spinning again after a while would you possibly have any idea whats going on?

• JackE

>>>I pressed the power button and it turned on but the fan would spin for a bit and then stop and then it would maybe start spinning again after a while would you possibly have any idea whats going on?>>>

This fan noise behavior seems like a normal BIOS startup and Windows boot sequence. The fan goes full speed for a few seconds on initial power up. Then fan speed subsides as Windows loads. And will pick up speed again when Windows is fully loaded. Then will back off again if nothing is opened.

Is TV configured to receive signal from the HDMI port instead of cable or air or internet?

Jack E/NJ

• JeefJeef

Tinkerer

Yea the fan stopping and then restarting at max power is on point and it was configured to receive a signal from the hdmi port we checked that it was set to the correct hdmi signal as well.

• JackE

>>>It has worked before without any problems but recently I was trying to install windows 10>>>

1. Why did you do this if it was working without any problems?
    2. Did you use the generic Microsoft Win10 install?
    3. Or the ACER OEM factory Win10 install from the hidden recovery partition?

Jack E/NJ

• JeefJeef

Tinkerer

Honestly personal preference I just preferred windows 10 over 11 I definitely wouldve kept it if I saw this predicament coming and I used the generic microsoft windows 10 install from their website. I didn't make a bootable usb I just clicked the setup button and it sent me into it.

• JackE

Aye!! You can try to recover the Acer OEM factory Windows version by shutting down the machine. Then turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. If your generic Win10 install hasn't interfered with or otherwise prevented access to the hidden Acer OEM factory recovery partition on the boot drive, a recovery screen should appear to allow you to reset the machine to a factory fresh state.

Jack E/NJ