How do I stop iTunes from Hanging when Playing a movie? Acer Nitro 517-42

Atminder
Atminder Member Posts: 2 New User
Itunes hangs on this nice new laptop when attempting to play movies.  TV shows and music videos play normally.
I have updated Windows.  I have tried the latest drivers on Acer's site and then also AMDs and Nvidia for the Grpahics chips/adapters.
I reinstalled iTunes from the direct download and from the Microsoft Store.  I tried redownloading movies.  I tried creating a new Library.
Acer Nitro 517-42

Best Answer

• Atminder
    Answer ✓
    Did the firmware updates.  The firmware updates themselves worked. 

I tried over a dozen movies.

I did get it to work though this is not something anyone should have to do.  In the Bios under Advanced -> Display Mode I changed the setting from Optimus to Discrete GPU Only.  Then in Windows I set iTunes to use the NVidia GPU.

If I only made one of the above changes it did not work.  It had to be both.  I almost wonder if iTunes has an issue with the Integrated graphics Driver or such.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    Atminder said:
    Itunes hangs on this nice new laptop when attempting to play movies.  TV shows and music videos play normally.
    I have updated Windows.  I have tried the latest drivers on Acer's site and then also AMDs and Nvidia for the Grpahics chips/adapters.
    I reinstalled iTunes from the direct download and from the Microsoft Store.  I tried redownloading movies.  I tried creating a new Library.
    Acer Nitro 517-42
    What OS are you using? As this laptop came OEM with Win-11 and could have come with Win-10? As and if you updated Win-10 to 11 it can cause problems as the best is a Win-11 clean installed OS and this is especially with Win-11. Also your AN517-42 has an "Update VBIOS NVVDD EDPc setting change from 90A to 135A for RXT3060 sku only" version 1.00a for the RTX3060 gpu only, don't do this update for any other TRX gpu model as this could also be another reason that your gpu does not work properly with iTunes and movies but "BE VERY CAREFUL" when flashing this update as you can brick your gpu if its not done properly and Acer categorically warns users "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" DO N'OT DO THIS FLASH if you don't have experience in flashing a gpu! As I don't take any responsibility if you do it incorrectly.

Also install GPUz  and check your current gpu bios version then do the flash and see if its updated to a new version, as doing a gpu flash on top of an existing and the same bios version won't harm your gpu at all but and if that version is not up to date, then it will update the gpu bios to that version. 
    Because and If you have done all the software updates and the cpu/gpu flashes properly your laptop should work 100% without any video hangs or crashes.

Check also the actual movie that could be corrupted and will give those problems within any video software or iTunes, try a few and other movies within iTunes and other video software and see if the same happens? As having all the drivers up to date properly is very unusual that a movie hangs? As this is all that you can do otherwise and if other movies do the same then its either iTunes that your OS like Win-11 has an issue with, which is very unlikely or its an internal issue of the laptops hardware? If its an internal issue then I wouldn't touch and/or open or do anything physically to your AN517-42 laptop, as this laptop is under warranty so send it to Acer Service in your area and get them to fix your laptops problems. Good luck and hope this helps you out
  • Atminder
    Answer ✓
    Did the firmware updates.  The firmware updates themselves worked. 

I tried over a dozen movies.

I did get it to work though this is not something anyone should have to do.  In the Bios under Advanced -> Display Mode I changed the setting from Optimus to Discrete GPU Only.  Then in Windows I set iTunes to use the NVidia GPU.

If I only made one of the above changes it did not work.  It had to be both.  I almost wonder if iTunes has an issue with the Integrated graphics Driver or such.