Touchpad Stopped Working, Nothing Seems to Fix it - Aspire A515-43

Jericho99
Jericho99 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
My touchpad stopped working recently and I'm not sure why or how to fix it.

- Bios is up to date
- Both touchpad drivers were installed
- F7 does not fix
- Windows setting for touchpad is on
- Tried disconnecting all peripherals
- Tried Ctrl-s in bios - no option for advanced setting for touchpad
- No issues in device manager

Screenshot of device manager:

Any ideas?  

I'm pretty sure I had this problem before after a windows update but I don't recall if I fixed it or if another update fixed it.  Nothing has changed recently except for windows updates.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Then change it from "media key" to "function key" behavior. Then press F10 to save settings and exit the BIOS menu. Then try FN+F7 again to turn touchpad on. If still no joy, shut down Windows normally. Turn it back on and try turning it on again with FN+F7.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    It's FN+F7 to turn it on if BIOS function key behavior is set to normal function key in the Main tab.

Check Control Panel's restore point app for an automatic update with a date stamp that coincides about when it stopped working.

Jack E/NJ

• Jericho99
    JackE said:
    It's FN+F7 to turn it on if BIOS function key behavior is set to normal function key in the Main tab.

Check Control Panel's restore point app for an automatic update with a date stamp that coincides about when it stopped working.
    I don't have an option in BIOS for that.

As for the restore point, do you mean rollback to an older update?  I'm not sure when the problem started since I usually use a mouse and when I went to use it without the mouse I noticed the problem.

• JackE
    What BIOS version number do you have installed?

Jack E/NJ

• Jericho99
    JackE said:
    What BIOS version number do you have installed?
    Version: 1.12
  • Jericho99
    1. Boot the laptop while holding the F1 or Del key.
    2. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the Main tab.
    3. Locate the touchpad and hit Enter.
    4. Select the Basic option and save changes.
    5. Exit the BIOS menu and boot Windows to normal.
    6. Check to see if the issue is resolved now.
    As I mentioned above in my first post, there is no option for basic/advanced.
  • JackE
    edited June 2022
    Go to this link (It seems to be temporarily down right now. Try it again later)  You may be give an option to download Acer Software to detect your hardware and choose the right drivers. If not, then try to download, unzip and install the i/o driver.

Jack E/NJ

• Jericho99
    JackE said:
    Go to this link (It seems to be temporarily down right now. Try it again later)  You may be give an option to download Acer Software to detect your hardware and choose the right drivers. If not, then try to download, unzip and install the i/o driver.
    I tried that before.  There is no I/O driver listed for my laptop.  I have an AMD motherboard and per other posts it is for intel only.  The Acer Software only shows my LAN vendor.
  • What appears when you press ctrl+s in bios main tab?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jericho99
    What appears when you press ctrl+s in bios main tab?

I get an option for touchpad that says I2S or PS2.
  • Jericho99
    JackE said:
    There is no I/O driver listed for my laptop.  I have an AMD motherboard and per other posts it is for intel only.  The Acer Software only shows my LAN vendor.
  • Jericho99 said:

What happens when you switch to ps2?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jericho99
    Jericho99 said:

What happens when you switch to ps2?

Doesn't seem to affect anything from what I can tell.
  • JackE
    Win10 or Win11?

Jack E/NJ

• Jericho99
    JackE said:
    Win10 or Win11?
    It's Win 11
  • JackE
    Try to install the older Win10 Elantech driver 13.6.12.1 in Win11's Win10 compatibility mode. Right click properties on the touchpad's EXE setup file, then click the compatiblity tab to run the EXE setup in Win10 compatiblity mode.

Jack E/NJ

• Jericho99
    JackE said:
    Try to install the older Win10 Elantech driver 13.6.12.1 in Win11's Win10 compatibility mode. Right click properties on the touchpad's EXE setup file, then click the compatiblity tab to run the EXE setup in Win10 compatiblity mode.
    There wasn't an exe file, only an install.cmd which doesn't give the option for compatibility mode.  I updated it through device manager instead and it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.  I also tried rolling back to the last driver and that didn't work either.  So I guess it's not a driver problem then?
  • JackE
    >>> I updated it through device manager instead >>>

Sorry that was an INF archive. Is that how you changed it thru Device Manager?

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Thanks but Jericho99  already mentioned that there is no BIOS option for touchpad basic/advanced. Also to enter the BIOS on Acer laptops, press F2 on startup.

Jack E/NJ

• Jericho99
    JackE said:
    >>> I updated it through device manager instead >>>

Sorry that was an INF archive. Is that how you changed it thru Device Manager?
    Yeah that was the only way I could figure out how to use that driver since using the cmd file won't change it to the old one.
    ismailasif said:
    1. Boot the laptop while holding the F1 or Del key.
    2. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the Main tab.
    3. Locate the touchpad and hit Enter.
    4. Select the Basic option and save changes.
    5. Exit the BIOS menu and boot Windows to normal.
    6. Check to see if the issue is resolved now.
    As was mentioned above, I don't have that option.
  • JackE
    >>>JackE said:>>>It's FN+F7 to turn it on if BIOS function key behavior is set to normal function key in the Main tab.>>>I don't have an option in BIOS for that.>>>

Double-check Bios MAIN tab for function key behavior option. Press Ctrl+S to see if it appears like as shown below for this model.

Jack E/NJ