Linux live usb doesn't detect HDD on Aspire 3 a315-56

Options

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Bullet_Storm
    Bullet_Storm Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    Ishmael said:
    I don't think it's the controller. Because it was recognized in the linux when we used `lspci | grep SATA`.
    That is why I think that linux doesn't recognize HDD controller and, therefore, doesn't support it.

You're wrong.

Linux can detect the SATA controller, but the buggy firmware won't show the internal storage to Linux.

• Bullet_Storm

Tinkerer

Options
    Ishmael said:
    Simga1986 said:
    @Acer-Tommy @Acer-Manny @Acer-Blayn @Acer-Cory @Acer-Mary Sorry for pinging you all but we desperately need BIOS update for this laptop acer a315-56 so that the second hdd/ssd will work in Linux without us putting the laptop to sleep and resuming it. Please help!!

Exactly! We DESPERATELY need such a BIOS update.

I don't understand why ACER still haven't released such an update. ACER was my favorite brand of laptop until i buy my a315-56. ACER disappointed me very much!!!

Simga1986 said:
    @Acer-Tommy @Acer-Manny @Acer-Blayn @Acer-Cory @Acer-Mary Sorry for pinging you all but we desperately need BIOS update for this laptop acer a315-56 so that the second hdd/ssd will work in Linux without us putting the laptop to sleep and resuming it. Please help!!

@Acer-Tommy Hi, can we get a BIIOS update to fix this in the near future please?

Don't get your hopes on any BIOS update. The problem is still present even on v1.26
  • Bullet_Storm

Tinkerer

edited April 2022
    Options

Duplicate post
  • Bullet_Storm

Tinkerer

Options

You can also report there too!! More people report the bug, the better. Also, it can be a BIOS issue too; you never know.
    It is a firmware/BIOS issue.

Like I said, Linux can detect the SATA controller.
  • Bullet_Storm

Tinkerer

Options
    So as probably the only man who has gotten a Linux distribution working on the Acer Aspire 3 A315-56, let me give you a basic summary of what you have to do:

But first, let me say this loud and clear: DO NOT WAIT FOR A BIOS UPDATE
    The firmware devs simply do not care about people wanting to use anything other than windows 10, and if you try updating your firmware, you'll simply waste your time, because even as of v1.26, the problem is still present.

1- So into the actual post, first how to even install your distro on the laptop:

The only way you can see your internal storage is if you put your laptop to sleep and then wake it up.

There are ways to do this, but the most sure-fire way is to issue the command:
    echo mem >/sys/power/state

Now that you can see your internal storage, install your distro on your laptop.

2- dealing with boot problems:

You can be sure that you will run into issues during boot, specifically regarding the initial ramdisk stage.

Your UEFI firmware will detect your EFI bootloader and execute it, and your EFI bootloader will detect your internal storage, then detect your kernel and load your initial ramdisk image and finally execute the kernel

But the problem is that the initial ramdisk cannot see the internal storage.

The solution to this problem is very distribution specific, but what you have to do is to somehow find a way to put your laptop to sleep before the initial ramdisk tries to mount your filesystems.

Arch users can refer to the wiki page for Acer laptops: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Laptop/Acer#Problems_when_booting_with_EFI_bootloaders

For any non-Arch users, you have to refer to your distributions initial ramdisk documentation, so good luck.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Bullet_Storm I had already seen this article. However, does this issue also occur in older versions of bios? I ask this because version 1.12 mentions a fix for endless:

I don't know exactly what this version fixes. I will try to escalate your answer to some moderator as it is not the first user that has this problem on a315-56, when trying to install linux. However, other users have reported that certain brands of hard disks and ssds are recognized without any problems when installing linux, even if the bios version is 1.26.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Bullet_Storm

Tinkerer

Options
    @Bullet_Storm I had already seen this article. However, does this issue also occur in older versions of bios? I ask this because version 1.12 mentions a fix for endless:

I don't know exactly what this version fixes. I will try to escalate your answer to some moderator as it is not the first user that has this problem on a315-56, when trying to install linux. However, other users have reported that certain brands of hard disks and ssds are recognized without any problems when installing linux, even if the bios version is 1.26.

>> However, other users have reported that certain brands of hard disks and ssds are recognized without any problems when installing linux

Define "
    certain brands".

If you mean M.2 drives, then you're going to have no problems.

However I have not seen anyone who has successfully seen their SATA drives.

>> However, does this issue also occur in older versions of bios? I ask this because version 1.12 mentions a fix for endless. I don't know exactly what this version fixes.

This doesn't fix the problem.

Endless OS is a specific Linux distro O.E.M's install if they do not want to pay for a windows license, it usually comes with secure boot enabled also.

Plus I don't think the firmware devs would remove something they fixed.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited April 2022
    Options
    @Bullet_Storm This user said that a lenovo hard drive was recognized by linux, see: https://community.acer.com/pt/discussion/comment/1107165/#Comment_1107165

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• paulorcsjr
    paulorcsjr Member Posts: 50 Troubleshooter
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hello everyone!
     i had another older hdd whit windows 7
     i changed by the original and installed kali linux normaly whit bootable pendrive.

after 2 months the hdd toasted.

thank you all!!!
  • paulorcsjr
    Options
    So as probably the only man who has gotten a Linux distribution working on the Acer Aspire 3 A315-56, let me give you a basic summary of what you have to do:

The firmware devs simply do not care about people wanting to use anything other than windows 10, and if you try updating your firmware, you'll simply waste your time, because even as of v1.26, the problem is still present.

1- So into the actual post, first how to even install your distro on the laptop:

The only way you can see your internal storage is if you put your laptop to sleep and then wake it up.

You can be sure that you will run into issues during boot, specifically regarding the initial ramdisk stage.

Your UEFI firmware will detect your EFI bootloader and execute it, and your EFI bootloader will detect your internal storage, then detect your kernel and load your initial ramdisk image and finally execute the kernel

The solution to this problem is very distribution specific, but what you have to do is to somehow find a way to put your laptop to sleep before the initial ramdisk tries to mount your filesystems.

Arch users can refer to the wiki page for Acer laptops: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Laptop/Acer#Problems_when_booting_with_EFI_bootloaders

For any non-Arch users, you have to refer to your distributions initial ramdisk documentation, so good luck.

Hello!

Im trying to do this but im neewbie.
    I tried on Linux mint when boot on pendrive we have the Grafic Interface whit the Terminal Command icon
    i accessed the root (sudo su) make the nootbook to sleep whit the command that you said
    (echo mem >/sys/power/state) 
    and than started on power bottom
    but the system still not recognized the storage.

I dont know if i exec the step correctly

I think isnt boot problem right?
    can you help me?

Thanks!

• paulorcsjr
    Options
    the fdisk -l on mint system opened whit pendrive bootable

i did fist the command ((echo mem >/sys/power/state))
    the note turns off the scren but he stay working and i need to power off than power on (i dont know if that is the right way)
    than still not recognized the storage

thanks again
  • paulorcsjr
    edited May 2022
    Options
    whit the command (echo mem >/sys/power/state)
    seems like the notebook enter on sleep mode but doenst start, only turning down on power botom 
    when started always stay same

thanks
  • eflsh
    eflsh Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

hi, i did what you said (about putting the laptop to sleep and wake it up after a few secs) and it worked so i could install Ubuntu. but, like you said, now i have troubles at booting because of the same issue. i've looked everywhere on the internet and none of the solutions were helpful, do you have any idea how to fix this?
  • paulorcsjr
    Options
    eflsh said:

hi, i did what you said (about putting the laptop to sleep and wake it up after a few secs) and it worked so i could install Ubuntu. but, like you said, now i have troubles at booting because of the same issue. i've looked everywhere on the internet and none of the solutions were helpful, do you have any idea how to fix this?
    Hello man...
    i was doing wrong, that above comand doenst restarts the system

now i did <sudo systemctl suspend> and the machine suspended and started recognizing the storage like you said...
    like in your notebook my linux system shows INITRANSF ERROR after install

little google on this INITRANSF i saw something about <fsck restoration comand>
    but the system does not recongnized any /sda or /sdb on /dev dir.

i dont know but think its because windows boot is disabling the linux initialization (i dont know if we need 2 boot  to 2 systems but i think the original windows boot can disable other OS initializations.

the original boot load (we can chose this option when pendrive booting)

to instal my linux i chose to create a new efi boot but i think its useless couse the system make the original boot (this hd0, msdos2 doenst exist like harddisk).
    i believe it is a default config that disable other boots.
    so if we could delete this boot or (if this isnt possible) if we clean this hdd and start whit linux install and than to install windows.

this was my boot bios option that i chose to get the initramsf error.

i hope being understandable
    thanks
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @paulorcsjr I think it is possible to change or add an .efi file through the bios, in the security tab.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• paulorcsjr
    Options
    @paulorcsjr I think it is possible to change or add an .efi file through the bios, in the security tab.
    how to access the security tab
    i tried win+r whit regedit but my syistem doesnt have that options showed on this tutorial Enable Security Tab Windows 10 | Password Recovery (top-password.com) those 2 bin files just the first (default)

tanks
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    i tried win+r whit regedit but my syistem doesnt have that options showed on this tutorial Enable Security Tab Windows 10 | Password Recovery (top-password.com) those 2 bin files just the first (default)

tanks

You need to create a password in setsupervisorpassword!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• paulorcsjr
    edited May 2022
    Options

tanks

You need to create a password in setsupervisorpassword!

i made some search and the last placce is aways the bios and look at this pic
    this null string is  the linux boot and when it started we got that INITRAMS error so the linux system is looking for some UUID that isnt defined on the linux partition like (my linux partition is /sdb6) 
    i believe that i need to lead linux starter to connect it UUID whit my /sdb6 (something in blkid comand) 

on INITRAMS shell i cant see the harddrive and cant suspend  
    on linux penboot i can suspend so i can see the harddrive but cant exec the comand blkid but my linux partition is there
    i believe that EFI System is the windows efi system and efi linux system is under the /sdb6 partition (couse it was said on the linux setup)
    both 2 are showed on bios but the windows is blocking. (i dont know just a guess) 

but i believe we are close guys lol

thanks 
  • paulorcsjr
    Options
    and but maybe i can be wrong couse i already had a kali linux in an older hdd and after 1 month it showed that INITRAMSF error and i thought the hdd was toasted but maybe it is fine and this is the system refusing the linux OS by nature.

i ll try to format the old hd whit win7 first to see if it was toasted or not