Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming

Answers

• Nero21
    Nero21 Member Posts: 191 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    @Spleed
    After following this guide your Fps will higher and go more than your Free-sync/G-sync range cause screen tearing.
    Solution- Limit your Fps under Free-sync/G-sync like if you have 144hz then set fps cap to 143 (-2)
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,073 Pathfinder
    @Spleed
    Also try to turn off Low Latency mode from Nvidia software →apply→ok
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • topkid911
    topkid911 Member Posts: 3 New User
    @GAMING6698 Hi, would you mind share your GPU undervote and overclock settings?

My model : AN515-43-R9B3
    Ryzen 5 3550H
    RX 560X
  • @topkid911
    All GPUs are different so what voltage work for me may not work for you and I just decrease voltage of last two stage from 1100Mv to 1040Mv through Msi AfterBurner because amd radeon software will crash when open tunning tab after unlocking overclocking limit 

• mmiller131
    mmiller131 Member Posts: 1 New User
    This optimization guide worked great for my setup, but I opted to install the Reg file. Is there a way to ensure that the reg file is non malicious? Also some games on Steam platform are now asking to install additional components I assume it's because of the disable statup options, is it ok to allow Steam to make changes to my setup? 
  • GAMING6698
    edited December 2021
    @mmiller131
    Allow steam to download additional components they are required to run games properly and registry tweaks is 100% safe, you can take registry backup in case if in future you want to revert back registry changes

• BunE
    BunE Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hello, regarding your step 14

-Now find and disable these services
    1)Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
    2)Distributed link Tracking client
    3)SysMain/Super Fetch
    4)
    Print Spooler(ignore this service if you use printer)
    5)Download maps manager 
    (ignore this service if you use maps)
    6)Windows search/search indexing 

-One by one double click on it to enter its properties window then click the Stop button and set startup type ''Disable''
    7)AllJoyn Router Service (If you not use any smart devices then disable this service)
    8)Windows insider service
    9)Remote Desktop Services 
    10)Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel service (Windows 10 is now fully compatible with both touch screens and handwriting recognition, but most desktop and laptop systems don’t have that hardware. Disable this service if you don’t use the touch keyboard or a pen)
    11)Windows Error Reporting Service (If you don’t want to send error reports to Microsoft then disable this service)
    12)NVIDIA Streamer Network Service
    13)NVIDIA Streamer Service

For 1-6 do I click on their properties then disable them or is there a different step?
  • @BunE
    From 1 to 13 click on their properties then disable one by one 
    Same for all

• edward_Saif
    edward_Saif Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2022
    does it effect on that games which run on a emulator, Like PUBG, COD, that does not run without any 3rd party emulator, with 8GB RAM, Corei7-7th Gen, I'm still facing FPS drop... 
  • @edward_Saif
    It affects, if you still getting fps drops then check if our laptop/pc is overheating.
    And move games to SSD 

• joseph123
    joseph123 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Thats a great am also a game lover its really work , thank you for sharing this i am very pleased 
  • MissMay
    MissMay Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited January 2022
    So I followed most of these steps, but I stopped before Step 20 because I noticed my browser (I use Brave) started looking weird. If I leave my cursor for a bit, images and videos appear extremely pixelated, for instance, the Post Comment button looks like a tiny maze made up of lines. On videos, it looks like someone put a bad photoshop filter over the image. I can take a picture if necessary, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • @missmay
    Revert back visual effects step number 9 by choosing let system decide what best for my computer

• MissMay

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas? It seems to be specific to my browser. I checked with Edge and everything seems fine there. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Brave, but it didn’t do anything. I suppose it could be something just wrong with Brave, but it did happen partway through your guide, so if you can think of anything, I’d appreciate it.

I have no idea what might be helpful as I’m really new at this, but I did also recently download and use some 3rd party software: GPU Tweak 3 and FurMark as I was stress-testing my GPU the other day. I also use a 3rd party antivirus/vpn (Avast) and I recently tried Driver Easy, updating all my drivers recently as well. I’ve heard different things about using programs like this, so if you have any knowledge, please let me know.

Just in case, here are my specs:
    Acer Aspire 5 A515-54G 
    NXHN5AA003941051AD7600
    Nvidia MX250
    Intel Core i5 10th Gen

Here's a screenshot of what I'm dealing with. What's weird is it fixes itself choppily when I move my cursor over it, and particularly on pandora, these lines build up until they fill the screen or I move my mouse before starting over again. In fact, as I was getting ready to post it, the lines came back on this still image, filling up the blue spaces. So weird...

Thanks for your time.
  • @MissMay
    Try step number 21

• MissMay
    Thanks! That definitely worked for the browser problem I was having, however, after poking around in different apps, I'm still having a problem in a few select places, namely when I use Vortex (my mod manager) and then the launcher for the game Cities: Skylines. Any thoughts? 
  • @MissMay
    Provide screenshot 

• Wossh
    Wossh Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited February 2022
    hey i already followed your guide its help me improve my fps in game so much. and btw i use windows 11 and its still worked fine until i notice 1 issue, the issue is when i plugged in my headphone, the device is noticed but the sound still stay on speaker and when i look at sound setting the headphone are still not plugged in even tho its plugged to audio jack.
    is it because i use windows 11 so its not compatible ? and i forget to set restore point before done the guide can i remove the registry tweak without dealing anychange to setting?

windows : windows 11

device : Nitro 5 an151 57
  • GAMING6698
    edited February 2022
    @Wossh

Set your headphones as the default audio device

You should also make sure that your headphone is set as the default audio device on your system. This problem is most likely to occur if you have selected the speaker as the default output audio device. So, you need to check and set your headphone as the default audio device to fix the problem. Here is how you can do that:

1. Firstly, right-click on the sound icon present on your taskbar and then select the Sound settings option.
    2. Now, scroll down and then click on the More sound settings option.
    3. In the appeared window, navigate to the Playback tab.
    4. Next, make sure your headphone is selected as the default audio device. If not, right-click on your headphones and then choose the Set as default device option.
    5. Finally, press the OK button to save changes.

Now, try playing an audio file on your PC and then check whether the problem is resolved.

(Registry tweaks doesn't change any sound related settings)

• Wossh
    Wossh Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

@GAMING6698
    thank you for responding. the problem is my headphone not detected on sound setting it shows un plugged when it plugged, it detected when firstly plug but the sound just come out from speaker and shows unplugged on setting. i have try other headphones too and its still the same. and i already try to look for guide from youtube and google and still the same.