Predator Orion 3000 (PO3-630) CPU temp up to 91°C - what to do?

13»

Answers

• CR_Apollo
    CR_Apollo Member Posts: 45 Troubleshooter
    edited January 2022

Room temp is usually around 22-23 to start. However, it is a closed room 10x10 (door closed) and the room does heat up to about 28, maybe a bit more even. I do not see any difference in the temps for the CPU. I do have the intake and exhaust running at all times at about 3/4 custom setting or gaming mode. When that's on auto, it does go to the low 60s, sometimes mid 60s.

• CR_Apollo
    edited January 2022
    I had put another post earlier, but did not take. I figured out the issue, I have to attach the image, not paste it.  :astonished: 

So for the design, with the fan blowing air out the front sides of the fins, I have noticed a drop in the NVMe drive temps a little too. My NVMe is above the video card, between the vid and fan.
  • CR_Apollo
    edited January 2022
    Couple more close up angles. Air blown out the front sides also cools the NVMe.

• CR_Apollo
    edited January 2022
    Only one suggestion I have to make about fastening the heatsink with the clamp yo the mount, after the mount is installed on the board/posts... is make sure you have a decent phillips magnetic screw driver. Holding the clip while trying to get the screw lined up in such a small space, especially with the first screw, took me a few tries. Once the first ones on, it's easier for the second one. That was the hardest part of the install for me once the holes were made wider on the mount, to fit over the posts. :)
  • CR_Apollo
    messer89 said:
    CR_Apollo said:

No worries, I posted it for others too. I got it installed without any extra work than making the bottom holes of the mount for the Zalman a little bigger to fit over the existing back plate posts. The screws fit too! Took me 20 as I did not want to make the holes too big and took my time with that. Ran Heavyload program, check that out to really see how well your system cools, if you want. It took 10 minutes for it to hit 72, then when that happened, it dropped to 55 and hoovered between 55-58 with the odd 59. Let that go for another 5 minutes and then turned it off because it was working at keeping it there and I would have not seen any different. RPMs where at 2259 and the max is 2650 for this guy. Best 50$ I spent! No sense in posting a pic of the actual drilling aspect for the holes, but even if you go through the upper side by mistake, use a washer later :) Just do not go too wide!

Image preview

Your temps indeed look good, but what is the ambient temp?

Nice you mentioned fan speeds, but this is also very important for the accuracy of the comparison/reviev, some people have 17C in their rooms, others even 25-28, so there is a pretty big difference.

And Idk if it works for other users here, but I can't see some of the pics you upload, so maybe you'd like to consider making a new, separate post? If this cooler really fits PO3 case, and works so good while being such cheap compared to Noctua, I'm sure many users would be really interested.
    Hey Messer89, do not have a lot of time to learn the acer community board well, but I would not mind making a new post specific to the recommendation of the Zalman for the PO3, but really no time to spend on learning the posting system in great detail. As far as I can see, just selecting "ask a question" creates a new thread? If not, can you tell me how?  I'll try in the few days to a week, but kind of hop on here and there for a few now and then, not here for any length of time really. Leave my browser open all the time with the site up. :)
  • messer89
    messer89 Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    CR_Apollo said: As far as I can see, just selecting "ask a question" creates a new thread? 
    Yes, that's how you start a new thread. By the way, this cooler really looks like it was made for the PO3 case! When I first saw it I was a bit concerned about only 3 heat pipes, but If you say it really works good, then maybe many people who bought this PC because it was cheap, just found a good alternative for overpriced Noctua.
  • CR_Apollo
    edited January 2022
    messer89 said:
    CR_Apollo said: As far as I can see, just selecting "ask a question" creates a new thread? 
    Yes, that's how you start a new thread. By the way, this cooler really looks like it was made for the PO3 case! When I first saw it I was a bit concerned about only 3 heat pipes, but If you say it really works good, then maybe many people who bought this PC because it was cheap, just found a good alternative for overpriced Noctua.
    It's actually 6 heat pipes at the base. It does an 8 and each pipe goes back down to the opposite side and becomes a second pipe connected to the copper plate. It's a pretty cool design, 6 pipes at the base but really only three pipes that do a loop. Yeah, that was my thought too, half the price and I'm seeing amazing results. I do have the i5 version as I mentioned in another post, but this thing with the 6 pipes at the base got the entire CPU covered, especially since it has 100% copper plate where that connects and not spaces where you have copper and other material in between the copper pipe. Would love to hear the results on an i7 if anyone gives it a try, but I do not expect much different installed correctly and the thermal grease too. I used the stuff that came with it, which is close to the Artic 4, I believe. M2 or something like that. Forget the name.
  • messer89
    messer89 Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited January 2022
    CR_Apollo said:
    It's actually 6 heat pipes at the base. It does an 8 and each pipe goes back down to the opposite side and becomes a second pipe connected to the copper plate. 
    Well, I would argue about that cause all sources I've seen claim It can be counted as a separate heat pipe only if it's psychically separated from others, but no matter after all, if it cools good then that's the only thing that counts.

Shame that Acer decided to spare money and pair such garbage cooler with that powerful CPUs. I'm sure Zalman would be enough even for i7, and it costs only few bucks more.

• CR_Apollo
     I decided to run another Heavyload test after gaming for over an hour. You may need to zoom on some things, but note the package CPU temp max = 77, where it spiked below the first 1 minute of the test running. Then even with the room at around at least 26-28 degrees, maybe a little more, see how the current on both are 58-59. Lowest temp in the last 8 hours is 35, but it's been running stuff all day, not idle.

Image 1

Image 2
  • frankøww
    frankøww Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    KLAPHAT *****.......Skriv din kommentar
  • CR_Apollo
    edited February 2022
    messer89 said:
    CR_Apollo said:
    It's actually 6 heat pipes at the base. It does an 8 and each pipe goes back down to the opposite side and becomes a second pipe connected to the copper plate. 
    Well, I would argue about that cause all sources I've seen claim It can be counted as a separate heat pipe only if it's psychically separated from others, but no matter after all, if it cools good then that's the only thing that counts.

Shame that Acer decided to spare money and pair such garbage cooler with that powerful CPUs. I'm sure Zalman would be enough even for i7, and it costs only few bucks more.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned 3 with 6 connection points at the base (performs like 6). It is 3 pipes, but it acts like 6 since the heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink is what matters, really. And how fast that heat can be released. This heatsink has the entire CPU covered with copper for all of that. Cooper is one of the quickest, aside from silver, that transfers heat and absorbs Thermal Conductivity well for the price. Copper 413 vs Aluminum 237. So it releases it very quickly. That's why you get such great results. So when you have 4 pipes and the aluminum between those copper pipes, you only get 2/3rds the transfer from that point at a slower rate than what the three pipes looped offers. I did the math and this thing came so far ahead, even compared to aluminum/copper mix water systems. The fins are copper too, so that takes care of the three pipes heat release at almost twice the rate. Hence, 3 pipes, but like having 6. :). I wonder what would happen if you snipped off the top middle of the eight (8) for all three of them, to make 6. Would that really make it work better, having 6 pipes at that end not connecting? Not that I'd try and chance damaging it, just curious about it, for those sources saying they have to be disconnected to count. I think they just mean they cannot advertise it as 6. Zalman has the patent on this, so maybe that's why? lol I haven't been able to find another one with the same design.
  • CR_Apollo
    edited February 2022
    I forgot to mention that the only reason it is so cheap on Amazon, is because they have it advertised as 11xx down and not for the 1200, which is supported. Others are selling this for up to 150$ CAN with 1200 advertised. Since I posted the 1200 support, not sure it's related, but the Amazon US sold out of the AT model. lol They had 9 when I posted this and some feedback on Amazon, now they only have the LED 3pin with fan controller on the US site listed. Canada Amazon still has 27 in stock for this model, which is the 4 pin MB heat detection self adjusting fan. 

CNPS9500AT

• CR_Apollo
    messer89 said:
    CR_Apollo said:

That's why I said 3 with 6 connection points at the base. It is 3 pipes, but it acts like 6 since the heat transfer is what matters, really. And it has the entire CPU covered with copper for that. Also, cooper is the quickest, aside from silver, that transfers heat and absorbs Thermal Conductivity 413 v Aluminum 237. So it releases it very quickly. That's why you are getting such great results. So when you have 4 pipes and the aluminum between those copper pipes, you only get 2/3rds the transfer from that point at a slower rate than what the three pipes looped offers. I did the math. Plus, the fins are copper too, so that takes care of the three pipes heat release at almost twice the rate. Hence, 3 pipes, but like having 6. :). I wonder what would happen if you snipped off the top middle of the eight (8) for all three of them, to make 6. Would that really make it work better, having 6 pipes at that end not connecting? Not that I'd try and chance damaging it, just curious about it, for those sources saying they have to be disconnected to count. I think they just mean they cannot advertise it as 6. Zalman has the patent on this, so maybe that's why? lol I haven't been able to find another one with the same design.
  • Dim_panda
    Dim_panda Member Posts: 1 New User
    Had same issue, wish I would of found this post sooner to help others….

you need to access predator sense (google it) to accès the cpu fans and change pre-set fan speeds from 30% to 55-60%. Was running warzone at 91* and am now running at 60* from a 25% fan increase.
    ps. Wattage increase is fractional 

plz spread this info as its a common “issue” with out of the box acer predators… yes it’s poor design but you already bought the pc lol cheers
  • Filoulapoule45
    Filoulapoule45 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2022

Here is how we installed the Noctua Fan on our Predator 3000: (2129) Guide d'installation du ventilateur Noctua NH-U9S sur un PC gamer - YouTube

It reduces the CPU temp by 20C while gaming.

You can activate English subtitles to help you follow the steps.