upgrading the CPU in the PO3-630G-UW91

OATMEAL9
OATMEAL9 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2021 in Predator Desktops
I'm interested in upgrading the CPU in the PO3-630G-UW91.  Is this even possible to begin with?  I can't seem to find the details for the motherboard anywhere. at the moment I'm looking to upgrade from the i5 11400f to practically anything that has more cores, any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated. 

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It's just new enough that we haven't has a lot of threads to provide details in. The PO3-630G is (I believe) the same as a PO3-630 except with a non-F CPU. So yours might have a i5-11400 and the other would have an i5-11400F instead. It sounds like, from your specs, that that isn't valid, since you also have the F processor...
    So, your processor is around the lowest end of the Rocket Lake series. It has a TDP of 65W, has six cores with a maximum of 12 simultaneous threads. The other processors that are supported with the same socket and TDP are the i7-11700F and the i9-11900F. Both of those can be dropped in without any need for cooling or software changes. Either of those will bump you to 8 cores and 16 threads.
    Now, as to whether a CPU upgrade is warranted. What are the rest of the specs on your system? A bump from 6 cores to 8 cores really only affects heavily multi-threaded apps. There might be something better to do before getting into a CPU swap.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Nope, it's because they are 2133MHz sticks and only can go faster when overclocked with an XMP profile. You don't have XMP overclocking in your chipset, so they run at their base speed. That also forces the original memory to also run at that speed, so overall a slowdown. :( Return them and get the right ones... All the systems based on that chipset can run the memory at the same maximum speed, regardless of the CPU installed.
    You can drop in any of the CPUs in that series as long as it has the same TPM. Both the 11x00F and 11x00 chips usually have the same TPM, the 11x00K chips have a higher TPM so require more cooling. The F models don't have the embedded GPU but are otherwise the same as the corresponding model without the F.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    It's just new enough that we haven't has a lot of threads to provide details in. The PO3-630G is (I believe) the same as a PO3-630 except with a non-F CPU. So yours might have a i5-11400 and the other would have an i5-11400F instead. It sounds like, from your specs, that that isn't valid, since you also have the F processor...
    So, your processor is around the lowest end of the Rocket Lake series. It has a TDP of 65W, has six cores with a maximum of 12 simultaneous threads. The other processors that are supported with the same socket and TDP are the i7-11700F and the i9-11900F. Both of those can be dropped in without any need for cooling or software changes. Either of those will bump you to 8 cores and 16 threads.
    Now, as to whether a CPU upgrade is warranted. What are the rest of the specs on your system? A bump from 6 cores to 8 cores really only affects heavily multi-threaded apps. There might be something better to do before getting into a CPU swap.
  • OATMEAL9
    I ordered  32gb of ram ddr4 3200 and 1 tb ssd gen4 2280. factory installed GTX 1660s which i am also looking to upgrade once i figure which is best for me.  And a ultrawide monitor with 240 hz refresh rate.  I plan to do extensive multitasking such as streaming, gaming and content creation utilizing programs such as blender, octane, premiere pro,after effects etc.
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    OATMEAL9

You say "I ordered  32gb of ram ddr4 3200 and 1 tb ssd gen4 2280. factory installed GTX 1660s which i am also looking to upgrade once i figure which is best for me.  And a ultrawide monitor with 240 hz refresh rate.  I plan to do extensive multitasking such as streaming, gaming and content creation utilizing programs such as blender, octane, premiere pro,after effects etc."

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.. 

Please don't hesitate to reach us if you need any help or assistance on your computer. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• billsey
    Hopefully yhe 3200 ram you ordered is actual 3200, not XMP profile overclockable to 3200. So many of them don't do well in letting you know, and XMP 3200 is liable to actually be 2133 or 2400...
  • OATMEAL9
    @billsey Yes, I just ran intel xtu and noticed the default speed is only 2133hz for each stick.  Is that because the i5 cpu is only rated for that speed  ?  and also can the cpu be upgraded from a F to maybe a K, kf or no letter at all?

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Nope, it's because they are 2133MHz sticks and only can go faster when overclocked with an XMP profile. You don't have XMP overclocking in your chipset, so they run at their base speed. That also forces the original memory to also run at that speed, so overall a slowdown. :( Return them and get the right ones... All the systems based on that chipset can run the memory at the same maximum speed, regardless of the CPU installed.
    You can drop in any of the CPUs in that series as long as it has the same TPM. Both the 11x00F and 11x00 chips usually have the same TPM, the 11x00K chips have a higher TPM so require more cooling. The F models don't have the embedded GPU but are otherwise the same as the corresponding model without the F.