What RAM and SSD can you recommend for my laptop? (Aspire ES1-332)

stoic0310
stoic0310 Member Posts: 6 New User
Hello everyone, I am new here. I would like to seek some advices from anyone. I am planning to upgrade my RAM and SSD for something cheaper but compatible and good. My RAM as of now, is 4gb, and I am thinking of upgrading it to 8gb. As for the SSD, I am thinking of only 250gb. Are there any of you has some recommendations? Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Recommend crucial/micron 8GB DDR3L sodimm module at this link.  You can click on crucial SSD tab in same link. They have two very good SSDs in the 240-250GB range.

Jack E/NJ

• stoic0310
    JackE said:
    Recommend crucial/micron 8GB DDR3L sodimm module at this link.  You can click on crucial SSD tab in same link. They have two very good SSDs in the 240-250GB range.

Thank you so much JackE. That was a really big help!

For my last question, are Crucial and Samsung SSDs are the same in terms of compatibility and functionalities for my laptop? Or Crucial is really your recommended?
  • JackE
    Samsung's OK. But if I had your laptop, I'd prefer the WesternDigital blue series 2.5" SSDs.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• stoic0310
    JackE said:
    Samsung's OK. But if I had your laptop, I'd prefer the WesternDigital blue series 2.5" SSDs.  :)

Hello JackE, I'm having quite a problem tho. I switched my 4gb into 8gb and when I turned the power on, it stuck with black screen (like there is no detection with the screen). I tried to witch it back again to my 4gb ram and the output is still the same, my screen is still in black. The power blinks only 1 time only and a long period of time. What seems to be the problem?
  • johnsonj
    johnsonj Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

stoic0310 said:
    JackE said:

Hello JackE, I'm having quite a problem tho. I switched my 4gb into 8gb and when I turned the power on, it stuck with black screen (like there is no detection with the screen). I tried to witch it back again to my 4gb ram and the output is still the same, my screen is still in black. The power blinks only 1 time only and a long period of time. What seems to be the problem?

It may be a bad contact between the RAM & the RAM slot.

you can check it again.

And in case you need it, this is a RAM buying guide & an SSD buying guide.
  • johnsonj

Tinkerer

stoic0310 said:
    JackE said:

It may be that the ram and slot are not making good contact.

you should check it again.

• johnsonj

Tinkerer

And in case you need it, this is how to choose a RAM and an SSD.
  • johnsonj

Tinkerer

stoic0310 said:
    JackE said:

And in case you need it, this is a RAM Buying Guide and an SSD Buying Guide.
  • johnsonj

Tinkerer

stoic0310 said:
    JackE said:

And in case you need it, this is how to choose a RAM and an SSD.
  • JackE
    Did you disconnect the battery pack connector from the mainboard before you inserted the module? Did you wear a wrist grounding strap?

Jack E/NJ

• stoic0310
    JackE said:
    Did you disconnect the battery pack connector from the mainboard before you inserted the module? Did you wear a wrist grounding strap?
    No, I did not. Are those the reasons why I encountering this problem?
  • stoic0310
    johnsonj said:
    stoic0310 said:
    JackE said:

Thank you for the info. I will do as you advised.
  • JackE
    Did you make any other changes other than trying to add the RAM module?

Jack E/NJ

• stoic0310
    JackE said:
    Did you make any other changes other than trying to add the RAM module?

No, I did not. I just turned off the laptop and then replaced the RAM. I didn't removed any hardwares like HDD and Battery, just the RAM.
  • JackE
    OK. Try this. Remove the charger. Then open the case and disconnect the battery connector from the mainboard. Remove the new RAM module. Then, with the battery still disconnected, press and hold the power button for a few minutes to make sure all residual electrical charges on the mainboard have been discharged.

Then reconnect the battery but not the RAM module. Make sure no other connectors that you can see are loose. Then replace the bottom cover without the new RAM module. Then plug the charger back in. Wait for the battery charge LED to turn steady blue indicating full charge. Then try to turn it on again like it was before tried to upgrade anything.

Jack E/NJ