M.2 Slot Confusion Helios 500 ( PH517-61-ROGX) Ryzen

13»

Answers

• LennartF
    LennartF Member Posts: 69 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Yes I have thought about that however when it's working hwinfo show good health.
    Wish I had another computer that could use m.2 to test with.

• Try to check if the problem is with the drivers of the ahci controller and the standard windows nvme controller. Try disabling secure boot as well.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • LennartF
    Ok but how are u supposed to see what driver it's using before booting into windows as i said it get stuck on the predator logo type or when it happens not even windows 10 usb see it as a connected drive when running diskpart and list disk
  • LennartF
    Anyway what is secure boot doing then ?

• I already had some problems with secure boot when trying to install my ssd and nvme controller driver. It would be interesting to see if it solves the problem by disabling secure boot.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • LennartF
    Well i suppose its worth a try nothing really to loose except its a pain in the butt with those small screws.
  • LennartF
    edited February 2020
    Will test that later but woukd secure boot really make so much diffrence ?
  • I refer to the secure boot of the bios. I chose to disable it, because I already had problems installing the nvme controller driver for my ssd sx6000lnp.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• LennartF
    What excatly is the secure boot good for ?
    I mean we all have antivirus software
    Personally i just keep with windows defender its good enough i think.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• LennartF
    Well update did show a while with secure boot disabled now its doing same stuff again and it boots very slow sometimes when it happens and right now im using win 10 usb and disk dont show up and the drive is also updated with newest firmware i could find
  • Are you sure you are installing the ssd in the correct slot? You probably have already done this, but what happens when you install ssd in the other slot?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• LennartF
    Wish i coud upload a video did try with a fresh install and then the toshiba drive become thst super sluggish again and even get stuck on hi there its me cortana on win 10 setup aftdr that it was just showing hdd led blinking until a blue screen poped up so something must be wrong with this drive toshiba dont wants to give out any warranty unless u are an oem customer as it seems like.
  • You can record a video and post it on youtube.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Krapgras
    Krapgras Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited November 2021
    I send my pc back to the factory thinking something was wrong with the 2nd slot. Basicly i got a paper back in the box stating the following.
    The AMD CPU model only has one working NVMe slot for SSD. Both are wired up but as there are not enough available pcie lanes (I doubt this is true but ok) they only hooked up 1 of the 2 slots.

The Intel model however have support for both and as a big part of the motherboard is reuse they didn't remove the 2nd slot.

For what i can read here the second slot should support regular SATA however you can't really find M.2 sata drives that use a M key layout. All the known brands use a B+M key (Probably has a reason). And from what i can read online you can't plugin a B+M key into a M key sloth as the pin layout is different.

I haven't tried to put in a B+M key one as it would be waisted money if it doens't work.

--------------------------------------------------------

On a side note anyone else has the issue that the GPU "thermal throttles" when the fan profile isn't spinning on max speed?
    I have noticed and monitored that my gpu/cpu get way less wattage if my fans aren't on max. Even tho with the fans on low the temps do stay within reasonable levels.

I have the AMD model.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2021
    Krapgras yes the ryzen variant of the h500 only has 1 nvme port as it was already explained above in this thread  thats the only difference from the intel variant where it has 2 nvme ports any normal sata drive should work either in the sata/nvme ports but only a nvme drive will work on the nvme port as nvme  ports are  backwards compatible with sata but not the other way around regarding your thermal throttling issues as the ryzen cant be undervolted make sure you have optimized your windows properly and repaste it with kryonaout or similar make sure your fans and exit airflow are properly cleaned :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Krapgras
    Krapgras Member Posts: 2 New User
    xapim said:
    Krapgras yes the ryzen variant of the h500 only has 1 nvme the (second slot) if im not mistaken its sata only thats the only difference from the intel variant where it has 2 nvme slots
    True but at the same time it doesn’t make sense as it is still a M key slot and you can’t really find a decent M key sata only drive. All the ones I find from respectable brands use B+M key.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2021
    Krapgras  wdblue 3d nand 2tb thats what i have on my h300 since 2018 when i got it not a single issue any normal sata drive should work fine no matter if its b+m or m as the pin data configuration layout its the same for the sata ports as they all work on all ports if youre worried about spending too much money get a cheap crucial or something similar and give it a try :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/