Acer Swift 3 - SF314-41 | Usb-c Hub & HDMI, HDMI is not working via the Usb-c Hub.

DitoMedio
DitoMedio Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello, 
I bought an Usb-c Hub and just realized that HDMI is not working via the Usb-c Hub. 
Googled and checked that my Usb-c Hub is a 3.1 Gen 1, which (seems) doesn't support video via HDMI. 
Tried to double check via Usb-c 3.1 Gen 1 specs, with no luck. 
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @DitoMedio,

Did you try to check with different cables ?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Yes, you are correct the SF314-41 models do not support alternate video mode on the USB-C port. You can attach a monitor via the HDMI port though. If you want more than one additional monitor you will want a USB dock that generates it's own video.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DitoMedio
    Thank you for you answer, @billsey

What do you mean exactly with "If you want more than one additional monitor you will want a USB dock that generates it's own video" ? I was checking for a USB (non-C) to HDMI but before buying it I wanted to be sure I'm choosing the right one...
  • DitoMedio
    Easwar said:
    Hi @DitoMedio,

Did you try to check with different cables ?
    Yes, it's not a cable problem. 

P.s. I wrongly clicked "Accept answer", is it reversible?  :s
  • billsey
    Since your laptop has an HDMI port, you can add a monitor to the system using that port. If you want a USB dock that has the external monitor on it, so you only have one cable to connect to the laptop, then there are many of them on the market. The cheap ones, especially for USB-C act you found, they require alt mode display support. The docks that generate their own video signal are typically more expensive due to the extra circuitry required. They aren't best for gaming but work great for productivity.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mbn11
    mbn11 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi! Im new here. I have an Acer Swift SF314-56. I have a second monitor connected through HDMI. Can I use my USB-C to connect another HDMI cable for a third monitor? Appreciate your help in advance!
  • billsey
    Acer says the SF314-56 models have a USB-C gen 2 port, but don't say it supports DP Alt Mode, so it likely does not. You can go with a smarter dock to generate video signals though. Not going to be adequate for gaming but for most anything else it will be just fine up to three or four monitors.
  • Yanghuan123
    Yanghuan123 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

The Acer Swift 3 - SF314-41 laptop does not have a dedicated video output Type-C port. However, it does come with a USB Type-C port that supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps) and can be used for data transfer and charging purposes.

If you require video output through the USB Type-C port infuture, you can consider purchasing a Mokin USB-C hub. Mokin offers a range of USB-C hubs that provide additional ports, including HDMI or DisplayPort, allowing you to connect external displays to your laptop. This will enable you to extend or mirror your laptop's screen onto a larger monitor or TV.

When purchasing a Mokin hub, ensure that it is compatible with your specific laptop model and meets your connectivity requirements. Reading customer reviews and checking the product specifications can help you make an informed decision.