How to find out whether PSU on T3-715 casing boot stuck at acer logo ?

Kuen
Kuen Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
How can a common home user find out whether the PSU on his PC is good or bad?
Thank you.

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Kuen,

Check the connection for each PSU cable running to the computer hardware component. Look inside the case for the motherboard light. Usually flashing lights on a motherboard indicate a faulty or misconnected power supply.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    It depends on the system, but normally if the PSU fan starts up and runs the PSU is working. If the fan doesn't start, or it starts but shuts back down immediately you need to do more diagnostics to figure it out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kuen
    Easwar said:
    Hi @Kuen,

Check the connection for each PSU cable running to the computer hardware component. Look inside the case for the motherboard light. Usually flashing lights on a motherboard indicate a faulty or misconnected power supply.

Thank you.

"Check the connection for each PSU cable running to the computer hardware component."
    How to check, please? Does it need any
    1. tools?
    2. instruments?
    3. With the system on or off?

"
    Look inside the case for the motherboard light"
    I remember, there was a light in a corner inside the PC case.  That was 7 years ago, Windows 7.  I have not opened any PC case since 2015, Windows 10.  I bought my T3-715 in 2016.  Have never opened the case since the purchase because the sales clerk warned me not to monkey on Windows 10 computers.  This is the first time that I opened the PC because it is stuck deadly & there was no other choice but opening the case for checking.  With the case opened & power on, the first thing I noticed was that there was no such a light as that in Windows 7 machines.  

There is no light inside the case of my T3-715. 
    Is this normal?  or abnormal?
    Is T3-715 made without a light inside the case?
    Or, is it burnt out or shut off to indicate something wrong?
    Or, doesn't matter whether there is or not a light?
  • Kuen
    billsey said:
    It depends on the system, but normally if the PSU fan starts up and runs the PSU is working. If the fan doesn't start, or it starts but shuts back down immediately you need to do more diagnostics to figure it out.
    Thank you. "normally if the PSU fan starts up and runs the PSU is working." Yes, the fan spins when power is on. Currently, CPU fan & GPU fan & PSU fan run when power is on. And they are continuously running while the power is on.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Possibly the volts are written on the side of the PSU as in this link ...3.3V, 5V, +12V, -12V , 5V SB  standard output in all the older PSU as i remember. 
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/322441051316
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @Kuen if all three fans are spinning it's not likely to be the PSU, since voltages are getting to the motherboard. What are you actually seeing? There are normally no lights on the motherboard, unless you have something connected that provides a status light, like an Ethernet cable. When you turn the system on, do you see anything on the monitor? How about hearing any beeps from the computer?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie said:
    Possibly the volts are written on the side of the PSU as in this link ...3.3V, 5V, +12V, -12V , 5V SB  standard output in all the older PSU as i remember. 
    Correction as the (-12V) should be (+12V)
  • Kuen
    Larryodie said:
    Thank you.

Yes, there is a label on the PSU listing various input output volts, I do not know what they tell.  
  • Kuen
    billsey said:
    @Kuen if all three fans are spinning it's not likely to be the PSU, since voltages are getting to the motherboard. What are you actually seeing? There are normally no lights on the motherboard, unless you have something connected that provides a status light, like an Ethernet cable. When you turn the system on, do you see anything on the monitor? How about hearing any beeps from the computer?
    Thank you.

"What are you actually seeing?"
    1. Light in front panet is lit.
    2. CPU fan spins, Have to test the GPU & PSU for their fans spinning.
    3. Then, about 3 seconds later, monitor is lit & care logo shows up & stays there.

"
    When you turn the system on, do you see anything on the monitor?"
    1. acer logo at the center of the screen.
    2. A line of words, including Del & F12, at the lower left edge of the screen.

" How about hearing any beeps from the computer?
    1. There is no beep signal when power button is pressed.  But power is on.
    2. There is a continuing single "B" sound if RAM & GPU are removed.
    3. There is a continuing single "B" sound if RAM, RAM only is removed.  And some other phenomena:
    3a. PC turns on by itself when power is connected, not start button is pressed.
    3b. Power cannot be turned off by pressing the start button, it is disabled by itself or something.
    3c. Have to disconnect the power for shutting down the machine.

• Larryodie
    Post a picture of the label. But wondering if you've checked the voltages that I've listed with your DC Voltmeter. 
  • Larryodie
    edited October 2021
    Larryodie said:
    Larryodie said:
    Correction as the (-12V) should be (+12V)
    Disregard as it is -12 V