Acer Predator PH315-51 unable to turn on wifi

Options
Solaris7
Solaris7 Member Posts: 4 New User
Hello , I recently did a windows clean install and since then I am unable to turn on wifi or scan for any networks. I have tried network reset , netsh reset , uninstalling drivers , check services.msc for WLAN-autoconfig, using windows store apps to turn on wifi but nothing has helped so far. 
I can see a Wifi adapter in adapter settings but cannot turn on wifi 
My Laptop Acer predator helios 300 2018 model PH315-51
My wifi card is Intel AC 9560 160mhz using lastest intel drivers 22.70.0.6

I can use ethernet or mobile tether but not wifi.
Windows troubleshoot show I need to turn on wifi but I did not find any such option in BIOS also my laptop only has fn+F3 for airplane mode and nothing specifically for wifi.

Best Answer

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Solaris7

Try windows x 
    Go to device manager - Go to Network adapter.  Expand it 
    Uninstall the wireless driver from device manager.   
    Restart the computer.  It should work fine.. 

If it is still not working 
    Uninstall the wireless driver from device manager 
    Dont restart the computer. 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers 
    Install the wireless driver 

If it is still not working.. 

Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help.  Kindly follow the steps given below:

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a  pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and - sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer.  Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you don’t find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery.  Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door.  Just below that you can find a latch.  If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed, flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.   Hold the power button for 1 minute.   Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It will go to bios. Press f9 once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear.  Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.   

Now  connect to wifi and check..   It should work fine 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Solaris7

Try windows x 
    Uninstall the wireless driver from device manager.   
    Restart the computer.  It should work fine.. 

Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    go to drivers 

Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help.  Kindly follow the steps given below:

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a  pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and - sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer.  Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you don’t find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery.  Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door.  Just below that you can find a latch.  If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed, flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.   Hold the power button for 1 minute.   Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It will go to bios. Press f9 once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear.  Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.   

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Solaris7
    Solaris7 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    @Solaris7

Try windows x 
    Uninstall the wireless driver from device manager.   Restart the computer.  It should work fine.. 

Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    go to drivers 

Thanks for the info , I dont know how but got my wifi working.
    I once again tried
      - uninstalling device from device manager , reboot
      - uninstalling device with remove drivers from device manager ,reboot 
      -  Installing drivers from acer support page , reboot

But any of it didnt work.
      - I kept the stock wifi drivers installed that I got from acer 
    To check if it was a hardware problem ,
      - Turned off Secure Boot from BIOS (cause of UEFI:NTFS rufus warning)
      - I live booted a ubuntu 20.04 and and connected to wifi 
      - The wifi worked fine thus I exited the live boot , did a bios reset F9 , saved bios F10
      - After booting windows my wifi started working.
      - Also updated to the latest drivers from Intel to check if something breaks but everything still working , even after reboot

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Solaris7,

Thanks for your update. 
  • Passerby
    Passerby Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hello, 

Thank you for this thread <3

I have the same problem with solaris7, i cant turn on my wifi manually from window and using fn +f3, it just make it to airplane mode.

but the thing is i don't even upgrade from window 10 to window 11. It just wont connect all of sudden.

i tried the same method as solaris7 did. it worked.

im not tech savvy or anything. To anyone out there having the same problem trying ubuntu method.

just follow this tutorial as reference ( How to Dual Boot Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 10/11 || 2022 by Sandip Shakya / youtube video)

The thing u need to do is :

- Download Ubuntu 22.04 (latest)

- Download Rufus

- Mounted Ubuntu to a 8gb usb (this usb will get formatted) (takes time)

- Then restart pc then press f12 or esc

- select try to install ubuntu

- U dont need to install ubuntu at the end, just connect to wifi. try opening firefox browser if the internet works.

- then restart. (press enter when the laptop show brand logo and ubuntu logo)

- u will go to window mode now. and the wifi should be working at window now.

then do a bios reset F9 , save bios F10.

note

- i dont think u need to split 30gb harddisk space since u wont install ubuntu at the end

- u can format the usb back

• Passerby
    Passerby Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you this works