Screen fades around the edges - Swift 3x

SomChandra
SomChandra Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
I am using Acer swift 3x corei5 11th gen laptop which is 12 days old, and I am facing one strange problem its screen gets fades around the edges whenever it's turned on, plugged in and its lid is open. After some time it usually fades away(15 to 20 minutes), I think it's a hardware problem as there is no software issue I have noticed till now. This has happened 5 times and every time the situation was the same (it's turned on, plugged in and its lid is open also in sleep). I have reinstalled Windows 10 from official website and the issue is not solved.

Model Name: Swift 3x

Part Number: NX.A10SI.001

What should I do now ?

//Edited the content to add model name.

Best Answer

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    Answer ✓
    SomChandra

We need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue. 

Turn on the computer, tap f2 - it will go to bios.   Stay on the bios for 10 to 15 minutes.   If you are facing the same problem on the bios screen then it is a hardware issue.     If your computer is still under warranty please contact the warranty dept.  

Some times external peripherals which are connected to computer might also be the cause.    Please remove all the cables and external peripherals before going to bios. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful! 
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

Answers

• William_mk2
    Answer ✓
    SomChandra

We need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue. 

Turn on the computer, tap f2 - it will go to bios.   Stay on the bios for 10 to 15 minutes.   If you are facing the same problem on the bios screen then it is a hardware issue.     If your computer is still under warranty please contact the warranty dept.  

Some times external peripherals which are connected to computer might also be the cause.    Please remove all the cables and external peripherals before going to bios. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    @  SomChandra

Most of the issues are getting fixed by doing a power drain and bios defaults

Kindly follow the steps given below..

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug  the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a  pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and - sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer.  Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you dont find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery.  Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug  the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door.  Just below that you can find a latch.  If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed,  flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It  will go to bios. Press f9  once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear.  Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.

Now check how the computer is working..  If you are facing the same issue on bios then it is a hardware issue. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi SomChandra,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password

4 Methods to Reset an Acer Laptop with Windows 7810 or Linux

3 Ways to Reset Windows 10 Computer to Factory Settings  Password Recovery
    3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. Recovery - 25
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

• Hariniot
    Hariniot Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited June 2021
    From the photo, I feel that it is due to the heat from the bottom when the lid is in closed condition for long time. Swift 3x has poor thermal design. Due to the elevating hinge design, it has to be kept on a hard surface with lid open for proper air suction from the bottom. With the lid closed, the bottom vents for air suction will be partially blocked which will result in heating up of the laptop when charging. It seems to be an inherent design issue. Charge the laptop with lid in open condition and see whether the problem is still there. Please post the result. If the problem persists even in lid open condition, most probably it would be a hardware issue with the screen, but I don't think so.
  • Hariniot
    One more thing...please check whether the cooling fan is working properly. Press Fn+F to change the fan modes and check the airflow by placing your hand above the exhaust vents in each mode.  
  • Hariniot
    I had a chat with an expert in computer hardware maintenance. Heating can cause damage and discoloration in LCD display, but as per him this problem is due to faulty LCD panel. Normally this issue happens in old laptops. According to him, the only solution is to replace the LCD panel. Since this is a new model, it can be done under warranty.
  • SomChandra
    SomChandra Member Posts: 2 New User
    Update It was a HARDWARE  problem as it was still appearing in Bios. They replaced my laptop, but the new one that I got is showing the same issue in 30 days. Steps to Reproduce the Issue - Whenever I put my laptop to sleep, lid open and plugged in and left it unattended for 20 - 30 minutes the edge of the screen fades away and after the issue is appeared keep using it for 10 minutes, and it's gone but the issue is so frustrating. I THINK It's THE ISSUE OF MODEL … AS THE REPLACED LAPTOP ALSO GIVING ME SAME PROBLEM.
  • vukotichm
    vukotichm Member Posts: 2 New User
    I also have the same problem. Definitely a hardware issue. The last thing I did prior to the issue was leaving was disabling sleep mode due to a download. The issue is still visible in the BIOS as well. I've tried all options to rectify (pin in the hole etc). Interestingly, the fan doesn't seem to work at the moment and the issue comes and goes. Right now, as I type, the issue is barely noticeable but if I open the start menu it is very noticeable. My product is registered and I've tried to follow the options to getting my laptop repaired but the Acer website keeps stating that my S/N SNID isn't valid.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    edited October 2021
    Normally when the website says that it means you are logged into the wrong locale. Use Acer's Global Page and tell it the country where you purchased the computer.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Arpitsri
    Arpitsri Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am also facing same. Already changed my LCD panel but still issue was not resolved. After changing display card, laptop was working fine for some days. But now it is started showing same issue. Please let me know any resolution. thanks
  • thelakedweller
    thelakedweller Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Acer Swift 3 is 1 year and 1 month old and I just experienced this problem now. As a student in this pandemic era, I'm chained to this laptop for more than 12 hrs a day and I freaked out when I noticed the white halo-like fades on the corner of the screen. I'm afraid this might get bigger over time. I can't afford to buy another laptop. I hope someone can guide us with how to fix this( if it's a software issue) or what parts need to be replaced(if it's hardware). I really don't trust gadget repair services here in our area. Thanks in advance!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Is your model the same as the one on the first post on this thread? That wasn't a Swift 3, it was a Swift 3X (SF314-510G-57FW) model. Your model number should be similar.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.