Can I use a NVMe SSD with Acer Swift 3 SF315-52G-56FR?

ibrahimx
ibrahimx Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello, I've Acer Swift 3 SF315-52G-56FR model laptop and it came with a SATA 3 SSD. The support in Turkey don't answer this question unless I send it to them.

Answers

• Tachi13
    Tachi13 Member Posts: 135 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi @ibrahimx

Please check the device specs, see if it gives you an option about PCIe storage option. If it only says SATA then it is only 2.5" SSD or HDD. See till how much it is upgradable. If they don't have the specs information, they can only see it by opening the case. Go to BIOS settings, by tapping F2 repeated while turning on the unit, check for the information tab or Main tab to see what it shows on HDD0 to SATA or SSD or PCIe. 
    Please click on "Yes" if you find this answer helpful. :):)
  • ibrahimx

Tinkerer

@Tachi13 Thanks for the answer. It shows like HDD0, HDD1 and SATA Mode. There is no SSD or PCIe menu but I use an SATA 3 M.2 SSD.

Also RST with Optane enabled instead of AHCI but I don't have an Optane memory. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Spec says:
    Solid State drive
    • 512GB, PCle Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    • 256GB, PCle Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    • 128/256/512, SATA 6 GB/s
    • 16GB, PCI Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 2 lanes, NVMe ,supporting Intel®Optane™Memory
    It looks like your SKU came with the 256GB SATA 2.5" drive, third in that list. So, the short answer is "yes", the longer is that a NVMe x4 drive is supported in the M.2 slot, which would be much faster than your existing SSD. You can also go larger than they list, they just have only shipped models with those drives. Clone the existing SSD to the new NVMe drive and enable the F12 boot menu in the BIOS, then use F12 to choose the new M.2 SSD for booting. Once you are booted in the NVMe drive and verified that everything is working well, use Disk Management to wipe the old SSD and create a single data partition on it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ibrahimx

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Spec says:
    Solid State drive
    • 512GB, PCle Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    • 256GB, PCle Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    • 128/256/512, SATA 6 GB/s
    • 16GB, PCI Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 2 lanes, NVMe ,supporting Intel®Optane™Memory
    It looks like your SKU came with the 256GB SATA 2.5" drive, third in that list. So, the short answer is "yes", the longer is that a NVMe x4 drive is supported in the M.2 slot, which would be much faster than your existing SSD. You can also go larger than they list, they just have only shipped models with those drives. Clone the existing SSD to the new NVMe drive and enable the F12 boot menu in the BIOS, then use F12 to choose the new M.2 SSD for booting. Once you are booted in the NVMe drive and verified that everything is working well, use Disk Management to wipe the old SSD and create a single data partition on it.

Could you share the source for these specs? I couldn't find it anywhere. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    That is from the Acer Service Guide for your model. It is not publicly available, but we are allowed to post snippets.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.