Predator Helios 300 won’t move past initial start up, freezes

BlitzKriegStrkr
BlitzKriegStrkr Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited July 2021 in Predator Laptops
I have had this issue for about a week where my Predator won’t start up. It stops after the initial start up sound and graphic (shown above).

I have tried reseating the RAM, SSD which is the primary (I have the OEM HDD hooked up but doesn’t have any of its original partitions etc), tried booting to a portable hard drive with an recovery image of Win 10 on it, and nothing has processed it beyond this point. 

I can access the InsydeH20 Setup Utility and can enable the F12 Boot Menu, but nothing loads.  The screen either shows the predator logo on end, or a blank screen once I click on the portable drive in F12 menu.

Trying to learn how to fix this on my own but might be beyond my capabilities. Thoughts?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Hell_J
    Hell_J Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hello,

In BIOS everything looks as it should? SSD is set to be primary drive from which you boot Windows? Try removing SSD and put it in 2.5" case to run it on other PC, copy everything that you need from partition where Widnows is and try reinstalling Windows as last solution.
  • Can you upload a photo of the bios info tab, to check if the ssds are recognized by the bios? Before uploading a photo, try resetting the battery: turn off the computer, unplug the power adapter, press the power button for thirty seconds, and leave the laptop off for thirty minutes.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BlitzKriegStrkr

Tinkerer

Hell_J said:
    Hello,

In BIOS everything looks as it should? SSD is set to be primary drive from which you boot Windows? Try removing SSD and put it in 2.5" case to run it on other PC, copy everything that you need from partition where Widnows is and try reinstalling Windows as last solution.
    Yeah I didn’t change anything. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I will try that and see if anything loads on another computer
  • BlitzKriegStrkr

Tinkerer

edited July 2021
    Can you upload a photo of the bios info tab, to check if the ssds are recognized by the bios? Before uploading a photo, try resetting the battery: turn off the computer, unplug the power adapter, press the power button for thirty seconds, and leave the laptop off for thirty minutes.
    I did the power reset as you described, no 
    change. 

• Your bios version is quite old. It's not even on the acer website. It would be interesting to try to update the bios. However, when you change sata mode to ahci, does windows boot? Can you upload a photo of the bios boot tab?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BlitzKriegStrkr

Tinkerer

Your bios version is quite old. It's not even on the acer website. It would be interesting to try to update the bios. However, when you change sata mode to ahci, does windows boot? Can you upload a photo of the bios boot tab?

I tried the different data modes with no progress in booting windows. 

I had never thought to update the BIOS. But didn’t have need to use it till now. Good to know it is outdated
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi BlitzKriegStrkr,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page. 
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​
  • OK! Activate the f12 boot menu here:

Then press the f12 key before the logo acer. What appears?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BlitzKriegStrkr

Tinkerer

OK! Activate the f12 boot menu here:

Then press the f12 key before the logo acer. What appears?

This is the F12 boot manager screen. When I have my portable hard drive hooked up it does up. But it doesn’t run anything, not even the windows loader I have on the portable HD
  • BlitzKriegStrkr

Tinkerer

@Easwar, no change in booting up and freezing

• BlitzKriegStrkr

Tinkerer

It is an added SSD, wasn’t included with OEM build. Just popped into my head, sorry about the late reply
  • Did this issue occur after any windows update? What happens when you press alt+f10 before the Acer logo? Have you tried disabling animation and sound in bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Easwar
    Hi BlitzKriegStrkr,

Reset this PC and keep my files
    1. Shutdown the unit. Press and hold alt+F10 key. Then turn ON the unit.
    2. You will get a blue screen. Choose the option troubleshoot. 

3 Ways to Reset Acer Laptop to Factory Settings without Password

4 Methods to Reset an Acer Laptop with Windows 7810 or Linux

3 Ways to Reset Windows 10 Computer to Factory Settings  Password Recovery
    3. Select Keep my files to refresh your PC and reinstall your operating system without removing your personal files. Click Next to continue. Important If you have apps installed on your PC, they will be removed. Recovery - 25
    4. Resetting the PC will reinstall Windows, change settings back to their factory defaults and remove all preinstalled apps and programs without removing your personal files. Click Reset to continue.
    5. You will be shown the reset progress on the screen. The screen will turn off during the reset process.
    6. The screen will turn back on when it is installing Windows. Your PC will restart several times during the reset process.
    7. Follow the process until it completes.
    8. When your PC has completed the reset process, Windows will have been reset back to its factory default settings without removing your personal files.​

• BlitzKriegStrkr

Tinkerer

Did this issue occur after any windows update? What happens when you press alt+f10 before the Acer logo? Have you tried disabling animation and sound in bios?
    I couldn’t tell you if it has updated at that point or not. I use it everyday and have the auto updates set for early in the morning. Worked fine the day before I went to start it and it was just the bios screen then freezing. 

Alt+F10 didn’t bring anything up. I also disabled the sound and animation with no change.
  • BlitzKriegStrkr

Tinkerer

@Easwar Tried to use the Alt+F10 before and after powering up, didn’t bring anything up just the same screen
  • Easwar
    Hi BlitzKriegStrkr,

Try to do it by connecting any external keyboard.

• OK! Disconnect the battery and then disconnect the hard drive and the two ssds. Then connect the battery and turn on the computer. A message called NO BOOTABLE DEVICE appears?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BlitzKriegStrkr

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi BlitzKriegStrkr,

Try to do it by connecting any external keyboard.

Nothing still
  • BlitzKriegStrkr

Tinkerer

edited July 2021
    OK! Disconnect the battery and then disconnect the hard drive and the two ssds. Then connect the battery and turn on the computer. A message called NO BOOTABLE DEVICE appears?
    After disconnecting them, that message did appear.

I attached my portable HDD with Windows Repair/Recovery it loaded that without any thing else attached (internal HDD or SSD).

Reattached my internal SSD and it went through and showed the BSOD. Now it boots to the auto repair screen. Progress!!

But when I attach the HDD also, still gets stuck on that loading screen. Would that mean there is an issue with the HDD that is holding it all up?

Should I do a clean install on my SSD?

What do you recommend?
  • OK! Now just leave the ssd connected. Then press alt+f10 and check if windows can be reinstalled:
    This procedure will erase your personal files.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer