no help or suggestions for atheros ar5b97 problems?

Options
biff
biff Member Posts: 9 New User

Where are all the good acer guys at? I can't even get a response or any suggestions for the problems I am having with atheros ar5b97 and the other problems? I think I was pretty detailed about the problems. Come on guys, help a guy out who is at the end of his rope with this **bleep** acer laptop, please

Answers

• JARF
    JARF Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi Elizabeth,

I am sorry to tell you that we are already two people looking for the same type of answers. My Acer Aspire 7551-7422 has Atheros AR5B97 and can only connect to internet in band G, but not in band N. When I try band N, it keeps lossing the connection. I don't even know where to get the latest drivers for Atheros.

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

This is a peer to peer support forum. It is not monitored by Acer employees, although some will post here from time to time. If you  need technical assistance, you need to contact Acer directly.

• biff
    Options

I know this is peer to peer and not acer tech support. Acer tech support is non existent!!! The only way to get any kind of answers for problems with acer is other users. Acer doesn't even want have a part of their website to contact tech support if your computer is over 12 months old. mine is 20 months old, so as far as acer is concerned I am no longer a valued customer. And that is one thing I will make sure of for my next compter purchase.

When i said, "where are all the good acer guys at?" I meant all the people who use acer computers who know a lot about this stuff and are really good at it!!! I know its not monitored by acer or acer tech support. Like i said acer tech support Does Not Exist.

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

So what's wrong with your unit? I'll give the issue a go.

• biff
    Options

But anyways my problems are in a previous post called

problem with atheros ar5b97 wireless network adapter.

The post is pretty long with several problems I am having.

I don't know how to link it to this reply for you to see it

If you want to read the original post it has all the problems there.

I did a factory recover because of some issues I was having with the laptop, the computer repair tech at the shop said it must be a software problem cause he couldn't find any hardware problems. He sent the laptop back to me and after doing a backup of all my files I did a system recovery with the acer erecovery on the laptop, and that set everything back to factory. When finished with the recovery, windows went through the usual updates with windows update, until it eventually said my laptop was up to date. So i went ahead and installed my norton 360 and did all the updates for that. norton 360 had a warning that said my browser (which was internet explorer cause i hadn't put chrome or anything back on it yet) and my operating system were out of date.

I did some looking throughthe updates windows had done and notiiced that internet explorer and windows sp1 were not updated or even available as updates through windows update. Before the recovery my IE was up to date even though i rarely use IE, and sp1 has been on my laptop since I bought it and set it up. no it wasn't even listed as a possible update. I tried directly from microsoft website, and IE updated but not SP1.

I took the laptop back to the store I bought it cause I still had extended warranty and the guy said leave it with him. He tried  installing sp1 from microsoft website, it would not work, he then tried installing from a usb, that also would not work, finally he tried installing sp1 from a disk and that worked. So now sp1 is on my laptop and everything seems updated. But since getting it back from him after he updated everything again, there are some problems.

1) when my laptop is first started up it does not search for wifi. It used to start searching for a wifi connection within 20 seconds. The blue circle would appear spinning and searching for available networks. But now the blue circle appears and just sits there not spinning or doing anything, just a motionless circle. when you click on it nothing happens. It just sits there like it is frozen for 2 or 3 minutes, then that blue circle ( or loading icon i call it ) goes away and it says not connected, wireless network connections are available. Then I just click on it and connect to whatever network I happen to be at. But it takes 2 or 3 minutes to be able to do this. This seems really long and was never like that before. I am figuring it has something to do with the atheros wireless adapter ar5b97, it says the drivers for the device are up to date and I cannot find any driver updates anywhere, but it says the driver is up to date. My original post goes into this more than i will again here, please check that post out.

I have since put chrome and firefox back on my laptop, along with vlc media player. when i bring up youtube for the first time and play a video, the video will play for about 2 minutes before any sound will appear and will eventually just kick in, then i have to restart the video. This only happens when youtube is first started and the first video i choose is playing. After that when the sound kicks in after 2 minutes or so, the sound on all the videos i choose starts normal with the video.

I have also noticed a lot of freezing and sputtering or stuttering of videos including the sound, which sounds like it is vibrating really fast ( like someone with a 100mph stutter) when I try playing them and the video picture does this as well. This has happened to video streamed from youtube and downloaded and saved to my hard drive. It even happens with music or movies played in the cd/dvd drive.

My media playability and enjoyment is terribly ruined. Media is a huge part of a laptop!! I get not responding messages quite a bit, when opening or closing programs or system folders or whatever. I have things freezing where nothing happens and you can't click on anything.

I am very very frustrated with this laptop

acer aspire 7741-6694

windows 7

intel core i3 m380 @2.53ghz  2533mhz, 2 core(s) , 4 logic

bios version / date: phoenix technologies ltd. v1.2, 10/01/2011

smbios version: 2.6

hardware abstation layer: version= "6.1.7601.17514"

installed physical memory (ram): 4.00gb

total physical memory: 3.68gb

available physical memory: 1.96gb

total virtual memory: 7.35gb

available virtual memory: 5.41gb

page file space: 3.68gb

microsoft windows 7 home premium

version: 6.1.7601 service pack 1 build 7601

x64 based pc

system configuration only has 5 items on startup, 3 from intel, which i assume is for the chip or graghics, one is from realtek hd which is the sound, and the other is synaptics pointing device which is the touchpad

If you can help with any of this I would really appreciate it cause this is driving me nuts.

thanks again

check out the otiginal post called

problem with atheros ar5b97 wireless network adapter.

• ScottyC
    Options

Biff, I'm pretty sure I know what's happening with your unit. I happen to have the same unit sitting next to me (a friends) and I see what you were describing with the drivers, but the device is working perfectly. I doubt very seriously you have a driver issue. Windows updates will only refuse to install sp1 for a very limited number of reasons. With that in mind, and with what you've described, it sounds a lot like your copy of Windows is corrupt. Essentially it ha sfiles that are causing the instabilities, and likely the playback problem as well. Because of these issues Windows update will not give the option to install the sp1. System instabilities can also cause wireless issues like you're desribing. There are a number of things that could cause this. It could be that the recovery partition just isn't set up right or has corrupt files. It could also be that your hard drive isn't working properly and is failing to read/write certain files. Another possibility is that you have a defective memory module and files are being corrupted as they pass through. If your tech did his job properly he would have tested the memory as well as the hdd, but there's always a chance that he missed something.

So here's what I suggest. Call Acer directly and tell them you are having issues with your recovery partition not copying files over properly. They will go over your options with you but really you just need some recovery disks. You can use the recovery disks to install a fresh copy of Windows without errors to your unit. Now that may very well solve the issue, but let's say it doesn't. That will confirm 100% that you have a hardware issue and your unit just needs either a new hdd or memory module. You have the option of having Acer send you replacement parts and doing it yourself or sending the unit in.

• biff
    Options

Thanks scottyC. I really appreciate that. The tech said he had the machine running diagnostics all weekend long and that there were no hardware issues, but like you said he might have missed something, or just not know what he is doing. I bought the laptop at Staples here in canada and apparently they use the same tech centre as acer does when repairs need to be done under warranty, so i am assuming that they are competent, cause it is supposedly the acer authorized repair place, if that means anything at all. The tech said it was tested for hard drive problems and there was nothing found. I don't know if they test for memory issues like you suggested or if they test for everything. Shouldn't they test for everything anyways, I mean how would the average customer who knows nothing technical about computers be able to tell them to test for memory issues, after all they are the tech's, I would hope they would be competent enough to know and do that, but hey you never know.

Will acer just send you recovery disks or will they charge anything for the disks or to ship it too me, do you know? Also just wondering, what about the recovery disks I made when I first bought and set up the laptop, will they work the same as ones from acer or is it likely that they have the same corrupted windows files, after all they were made from this laptop with what is already on the laptop and causing problems. 

Any idea how windows could become corrupted? or would my copy of preinstalled windows be corrupted straight from the factory? Also what about if someone has windows disks from another computer company will they work on my acer. My brother was sent windows disks from dell after having problems he called dell and they just sent him some new disks. Will his windows disks from dell work on my acer or does each computer brand have their own tweaks to windows to work on their own brand of machine, or is it just windows is windows and disks are all the same no matter what the brand of computer. Is acer that easy to work with and get disks from, as dell was with my brother?

I really appreciate that scottyC, your help and suggestions is greatly appreciated. I never used any kind of forums before so I am really new to this, I've read forums looking for answers, but never participated. You are the only person here who offered any kind of suggestions so thank you very much. I hope i can get this fixed because all these problems are very frustrating. With the wifi connection problems and any kind of media playback problems, I'm at my wits end, I can't take it any more. All of this stuff has really soured me against acer, I have no faith that they are putting out a quality, reliable product or that they are using competent tech repair facilities that actually know what they  are doing. I hope I can get this fixed. I will post back when and if I am able to figure something out or get something done with these problems with this laptop.

Cherrs and thanks again

• ScottyC
    Options

Hi Biff, it's no problem. I know how frustrating it can be to have issues with your computer and not having anyone who knows how to fix it haha. I'll first say that I too live in Canada, and I have dealt with Staples in the past. They do have their own repair center but from my experience (which is actually quite a bit with them) they are not even CLOSE to as tech savvy as Acer's own technicians. They do not use the Acer repair center. I found that out a long time ago. I had a client who bought a unit at Staples, and it had issues right from the start. So she brought the unit back to staples (after a day) and rather than exchange the device they said they would send it to Acer for repairs. What they actually did was send it to THEIR center. They did some repairs and sent the unit back. Not even two days after receiving the unit back it stopped working again. This happened three times before finally she asked me to deal with them. I called Acer for her and explained her situation, how it had been sent in three times and despite owning the unit for a month she had not even had a chance to use it. The Acer rep told me that Staples sent the unit to their center and Acer had never even been informed of the issue (later confirmed with Staples). Apparently he was able to see the repairs that were done, but because the device had never passed through the Acer facility they had to follow standard procedure and send it in for repairs. I had been upset as my client wanted a replacement, but what could I say? He was right, they had never had a chance to inspect the unit so why would they replace it? Long story short, Acer repaired the unit in something like 4 days, it came back with absolutlely no issues. Turns out the mainboard needed replacing, and Staples had replaced the HDD 3 times. So I have NOTHING nice to say about the competency of Staples techs....

As for your recovery disks, I really can't say if they will charge you or not. Acer systems ask the user to burn a copy of the disks the first time you use it. The issue is that a lot of retailers are doing the initial setup and therefore skip that screen. Again this sort of falls into the category of "Acer isn't at fault here". In Canada they charge roughly $20 for recovery disks to cover shipping, but you would have to contact Acer to find out for sure.

About the disks you burnt. If you have a corrupted copy of Windows in your backup partition, I can tell you that your disks won't work either. They are created using the image stored on the partition, so if there are corrupt files they would be copied over to the disks directly. You can try to use your disks if you like, and if they don't work I would bring that up to the Acer rep Smiley Wink

I can assure you 100% that your brothers disks will not work. Systems with Windows preinstalled have a special Windows edition. Even using a copy for a different model of the same mark will usually not work. I would just call Acer, they're usually very reasonable. You just have to be a little patient with them from time to time.

As for how Windows can become corrupt. There are so many ways that it can happen it's ridiculous. It's unlikely that the image was copied to your disk with errors on it, Acer would have caught that long before you ever would have noticed it. So if it's on only certain units we can assume that either the HDD would have read/write problems and it messed up the files while copying them over in their facility. Another thing is that if you have memory issues your system could have corrupted the files while reading them during your initial setup. Another thing to keep in mind is that these units aren't made in Canada. That being said they have to be imported. And despite Canada not having the most strict borders in the world we do in fact do security checks on most imports. And the fact that they use sensors and magnets to check for contraband is worth noting. Last I checked hard drives don't like magnets very much haha.

There's something you should know about Acer though. You'll hear a lot of complaining about their products, but you don't have to look very hard to see a lot of complaining about any other mark either. There's a very simple reason for this. All the computers on the market today are made using the same parts. Now don't take that too literally, there are obviously different parts, but you'll find that Acer uses the same mainboard and processors as other manufacturers do on some of their machines. Simply put, Acer is a company that takes parts from companies like Intel, AMD, ATI, Crucial, Kingston, Realtek, AMI, Award, and so on and so fourth, and puts them into their casing. Just like every other manufacturer does. 90% of the time that something goes wrong with one of these systems its a Windows issue. If not, it'll be something like a wireless card made by another company, and that's used in HP systems, ASUS, Dell, Toshiba... The simple truth is that this issue could have happened "and likely is happening" with every other computer manufacturer.

The real difference is in warranties. Some people complain about Acer's warranty and say it's not as good as say HP's, or dell, whoever. They say things like, now that I'm out of warranty Acer won't help me. Well try and call HP out of warranty and see where that gets you. They offered to sell me a battery out of warranty for $220. Ridiculous. I would suggest just contacting Acer directly and discussing your situation with them.

And finally, you're very welcome Biff. It was a pleasure to help you. Keep in mind though that most of the users of this forum aren't the most technically inclined. They're here for help more than answers haha. If you need anything else feel free to post it on here and I'll try to help you out. And keep in mind that kudos button! Smiley Happy

• biff
    Options

Thanks again scottyC. Can i ask you another question, which may seem stupid, but here goes.

How do you even contact acer? I have been looking around on their site and there doesn't even seem to be a way to contact them, either by phone or email. On their site it only seems to be for if your computer is still under warranty. It asks for your seriel number or snid of your computer so they can check and see if your still under warranty, if you are they will put you through with them. Well i'm not under their warranty any more, like i said my laptop is almost 2 years old,  I only have the extended staples warranty now. So there doesn't even seem to be a way for me to contact them. Unless I'm missing something on their site, but i've been looking around here for while now but i can't find anything.

Its like they are hiding from people or something, lol. Sorry to bother you again with what might be a simple answer to a stupid question.

thanks

• ScottyC
    Options

Here you go 800-816-2237. Not a stupid question at all, I know it's not easy finding their info. I don't really think it's that they're hiding, I think it's more that they want to promote the web contact. The more it gets used the more they get to develop it. Anyhow, call them up and see how it goes haha.

Take care,

ScottyC

This discussion has been closed.