thermal Pad Inquiry about acer predator PH315-52 (Acer Predator Helios 300 2019 Model)

Abrar_Rahman
Abrar_Rahman Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

What thickness of thermal pad should I use for X marked area(1st pic), Should I put the thermal pads on heat sink or motherboard ? 

Also Is the Picture Below accurate ?? I have heard that for GPU Vram 0.5mm thickness sufficient...is it accurate?
I have removed the pre-applied pink paste that the laptop shipped with.

Best Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,054 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    You can use 0.5mm for the copper contact side. 1.0mm for the aluminum. 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • AnhEZ28
    Answer ✓
    Sorry for my unclear explanation. The silver color is aluminum. It is on the heatsink. You can put the thermal pad either on the chip or on the heatsink.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    You don't need to use anything on that empty VRAM side. Based on the image, I that the GPU die wasn't covered with enough thermal paste. You can spread the paste around the die for the best result. Also for the VRAM, use something like k5-pro or thermal pads because thermal paste doesn't have full contact.
  • Abrar_Rahman

Tinkerer

AnhEZ28 said:
    You don't need to use anything on that empty VRAM side. Based on the image, I that the GPU die wasn't covered with enough thermal paste. You can spread the paste around the die for the best result. Also for the VRAM, use something like k5-pro or thermal pads because thermal paste doesn't have full contact.
    what thickness of thermal pads should I use ? The thickness is different for every part as u can see from the 2nd pic. Can u clarify a bit more from 2nd pic as to what thickness should I use?
  • AnhEZ28
    Answer ✓
  • Abrar_Rahman

Tinkerer

AnhEZ28 said:
    Can U describe which ones are copper and which ones are Aluminium based on the colour and Appearance ? I know copper colour but I can't seem to find any copper coloured chips...the colour I see is light black(GPU Vram) and Metallic white .

Do U mean I should use thermal pads on heat sink assembly rather than on the motherboard ?
    If my point is not clear, plz explain in your own words a bit more specifically .
    and Thanks, you helped me a lot already.
  • AnhEZ28
    Answer ✓
    Sorry for my unclear explanation. The silver color is aluminum. It is on the heatsink. You can put the thermal pad either on the chip or on the heatsink.
  • Abrar_Rahman

Tinkerer

AnhEZ28 said:
    dont be sorry.U have been very helpful.I have much more clear idea now.
  • rainer_joshua
    rainer_joshua Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

@Abrar_Rahman Hello there! New here. I have the same model PH315-52-78VL, and I wanted to ask how did it go. I was also planning the re-paste and put pads on mine and I don't want to f it up. And regarding the 2nd photo you put, how accurate are they?