Acer Aspire 5000, power LED of laptop turns off immediately after pressing power button. Reason?

ShubhadeepBanik
ShubhadeepBanik Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 3 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,
My laptop model is Acer Aspire 5000 WLMI.
The laptop is not booting.
The power LED of the laptop turns off immediately after I press the power button. The power LED blinks for a second and turns off.
After that, if I press the power button again nothing happens. Then if I remove the power cord and plug the power cord, similarly the power LED blinks for a second and turns off.

Same thing happens with or without the battery connected to the laptop.
I tried removing the BIOS battery but it didn't solve the problem.

I will be grateful for any help and suggestions.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    edited September 2020
    Boy, that's a real oldie, vintage 2005 I think so almost old enough to drive. Old enough that they no longer have much information for me on it. So we'll fly blind for a while... My first guess is the issue is with the battery, when you try to turn it on the first attempt at an electrical load drop whatever voltage there is in the battery to nothing. That makes sense only if the charging circuit is used to charge the battery but not power the system. That design type is not too unusual because it decreases the complexity of the design. If that's not it the next possibility is the charger itself. If it's feeding too little charge in and the battery is also bad what little it's giving is outweighed by the needs of the system during power up. Do you have any way to test the power supply?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ShubhadeepBanik
    Dear Sir,
    I am really very grateful for your reply and I am also sorry as, I pressed the "No" option for the question whether you replied to my query. 

1. I do not have a multimeter yet to test the power supply. I tried to test the dc output from the adapter using a LED but it burnt off immediately just after a flash as soon as I connected the leads. 

2. You are right, I bought the laptop on November 2005, and the correct model number is Acer Aspire 5002WLMi.

3. I actually did not use the laptop for a long time after the display broke. Recently, I thought to replace and found out this problem.

4. Although the display is broken, the laptop was booting (occasionally I think). But before this problem occurred, last time when I connected the laptop to the adaptor, the battery became extremely hot. So, I am not sure if any part is damaged? 
    I am facing similar problem with another laptop I am using. Sometimes when I connect the laptop to the power adaptor, the battery as well as the adaptor becomes extremely hot. 
    So, I am also not sure if there is any problem with our main supply. 

I will try to let you know if I can test the power supply. If you have any suggestions for me please let me know.

Yours sincerely,
    Shubhadeep Banik

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Hot battery while charging is a very troublesome symptom. One of the things that can cause a battery to heat up is when it's been discharged enough that the lithium ions crystallize and form little 'spears' of metal that can poke through the membranes between cells. When that happens it shunts the electricity directly though the metal instead of letting it 'ooze' through. That causes excess heat and in some cases can cause a fire. That's the primary reason that modern batteries shut themselves off when the charge gets too low, if the metal crystals don't form in the first place you don't have to worry about fire as much. Older batteries don't have those safeguards, so using them can be bad.
    If you have access to a local technician they may be able to test the charger for you. Although voltmeters aren't very expensive these days, buying one and buying a new charger is going to cost more than just buying the charger. The voltmeter though could point to the charger being good, so it would save you that cost.
    You can look at the charger to get the specifications, it's likely something like 19V DC at some wattage (typically between 45W and 120W, but some are outside even that wide range) with a certain sized connector (often 3.0mm or 5.5mm wide). You may find you have access to another charger for a newer computer than meets the specs. You could then use that charger to test the computer...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ShubhadeepBanik
    edited September 2020
    Dear Sir,

The  DC output voltage of the charger is 9.4V. The power specifications of the charger as printed is 19V , 3.42A. 

With or without the battery connected, the laptop has the same problem. ............NO NO ......

What a surprise ! 
    I just turned on my laptop to give you a better explanation and I found the charging led and power led,  both with and without the battery connected are glowing and my laptop has turned on.

Although I am bit confused how all of a sudden the laptop has turned on. 
    I will let you know if I can diagnose and completely fix the laptop or any help required from your side.

• Bullbear
    Bullbear Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2020
    I am facing the same problem. Even without battery, with charger only, when power is pressed, led blinks once then shuts down. Nothing happens untill I remove the charger and same thing repeats after freshly inserted the charger or battery, even fan tries to start but stops  and doesn't respond for next consecutive presses. I cleaned ram too. Problem persists. Kindly help in solving it.

• Azerf80
    Azerf80 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Bullbear said:
    I am facing the same problem. Even without battery, with charger only, when power is pressed, led blinks once then shuts down. Nothing happens untill I remove the charger and same thing repeats after freshly inserted the charger or battery, even fan tries to start but stops  and doesn't respond for next consecutive presses. I cleaned ram too. Problem persists. Kindly help in solving it.

Got the same problem, tried all those things but nothing works.

- Start with a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug it's AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it.
    - Next is to try to boot your laptop without its battery and just use its AC adapter.
    - If this doesn't work re-seat the RAM. Remove the RAM sticks for a couple of seconds then re-insert them, making sure everything is seated properly.
    - The next thing to try is to see if your AC adapter is working properly. You can test this by trying another AC adapter that has the same voltage.

Dear Sir,

The  DC output voltage of the charger is 9.4V. The power specifications of the charger as printed is 19V , 3.42A. 

With or without the battery connected, the laptop has the same problem. ............NO NO ......

What a surprise ! 
    I just turned on my laptop to give you a better explanation and I found the charging led and power led,  both with and without the battery connected are glowing and my laptop has turned on.

Although I am bit confused how all of a sudden the laptop has turned on. 
    I will let you know if I can diagnose and completely fix the laptop or any help required from your side.

HOW ??
  • Bossman13
    Bossman13 Member Posts: 4 New User