Spin 313-51n charging

switchmog
switchmog Member Posts: 22 Networker
Finally upgraded my Trusty Switch 10 to a new Spin 313-51n. Despite having a dedicated charging port, I have only been provided with a power supply and a Thunderbolt adaptor for charging. This is somewhat annoying as when I am charging while working on the machine, as i lose access to a Thunderbolt port. Is this usual? One of the reasons I chose this model was because it had a separate charging port. Also. given that I can charge via the Thunderbolt port can I use a basic phone charger with a type c cable in an emergency?

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Do you mean to say the USBC port stops working when you charge it? 

And as for what can, you wouldn't be able to use a normal phone charger, it would need to be able to output at least 45 watts at 15 to 20 V for it to charge the laptop, most phone charges output far far less!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    There should be a round DC-In jack on the left side for charging. The laptop is also chargeable through the USB-C/Thunderbolt port and supports simultaneous charge and data, so you can use a Thunderbolt dock to charge and to drive a monitor or network cable or any of several other options.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • switchmog
    Thanks for the reply. Lose was a confusing word. I "lose" the port because the charging cable is plugged into it so I can't use it for anything else. In the work scenario that I plan to use the machine, it will often need to run for 10-12 hours with several peripherals attached and will need continuous power. I chose the Acer because it has a dedicated charging port, whereas most of the alternatives didn't and required a Thunderbolt port to be used. Don't quite see the point of manufacturing a machine with a charger port and not providing a cable to use it. Thanks for the info on the phone charger.
  • switchmog
    "There should be a round DC-In jack on the left side for charging. The laptop is also chargeable through the USB-C/Thunderbolt port and supports simultaneous charge and data, so you can use a Thunderbolt dock to charge and to drive a monitor or network cable or any of several other options."

Indeed, there is the DC Jack. Unfortunately, Acer haven't provided anything to plug into it, just the USB -C cable. I had carefully calculated the number of ports required for my work setup before purchasing the machine and chose it because it had a DC Jack when others didn't. Hopefully, Acer will be able to provide me with something.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Ahhhhh gotcha sorry i did mis understand :)  odd they dont include the "real" chrager brick anymore on the USBc charger model :( you can pick them up on the store depending on region but i thought it was meant to come with it
  • switchmog
    "Ahhhhh gotcha sorry i did mis understand   odd they dont include the "real" chrager brick anymore on the USBc charger model  you can pick them up on the store depending on region but i thought it was meant to come with it"

I still have a brick, but the cable coming out of it ends in a USB-C connection rather than a DC jack  :) I'd be interested to know what other people are getting with their Spins.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    The USB-C/Thunderbolt docks often come with charging built in, so you can use it to charge and at the same time use the dock ports for other uses, uncluding providing an additional USB-C/Thunderbolt pass through port.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.