Discrete GPU fluctuates between idle and non-idle when not in use (Helios 300 PH315-52)

AtharvaV
AtharvaV Member Posts: 3 New User
edited April 2021 in Predator Laptops
I think started noticing this problem after I updated to Windows 10 2004. Basically after I'm done playing a game, the discrete GPU (RTX 2060 in my case) should be idle. However PredatorSense shows its graph fluctuating between idle and non-idle (at 0% use). The Nvidia GPU activity icon in the notification shows the GPU is inactive, yet it's being turned on and off every few seconds, causing the system temperature to stabilize at 60 degrees C (usually I get about 45 degrees). I tried reinstalling the drivers, and downgrading to a previous Windows version, but the only solution I have right now is to restart the laptop.

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• What is the exact model of the laptop? Are there any services or programs using gpu 1 in the background?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AtharvaV
    What is the exact model of the laptop? Are there any services or programs using gpu 1 in the background?
    The model is PH315-52 (the 2019 version). Also, no programs in the task manager use GPU 1, and GPU 1 in the Task Manager's Performance tab is always at 0% for all the sub-graphs, unlike the fluctuating one in PredatorSense.
  • Try uninstalling and reinstalling the predator sense.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AtharvaV
    I realized what the problem was, I was sometimes leaving the GeForce in-game overlay turned on after I quit a game, so the monitoring app was turning the discrete GPU on to get the reading (according to it the gpu was supposed to be turned on since it thought I was playing a game), and after it took the rating (usage 0%, temperature around 50C) the GPU would turn off because nothing was using it. This cycle repeated once every second.
    I could recreate the same problem with MSI afterburner if I ran the program while the discrete GPU was idle.

Just a tip for anyone who might see this post later.