New Acer Aspire 5 A514-54 Screen Goes Black

varma_98
varma_98 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in Aspire Laptops
About three weeks back I got a brand new Aspire 5 A514-54 laptop and almost everyday I seem to be facing restart issues. While working the screen goes black and the laptop restarts. This happens once almost everyday. The fan speed increases when it happens but the laptop doesn't seem to be uncomfortably hot. I tried switching off automatic restart in advanced system settings but that didn't help. I tried a windows repair install but that didn't seem to change anything. It worked alright for two days and the issue is back again. I don't know whether it is a hardware problem. For some reason it happens only once a day. I tried to return it but my retailer decided that there wasn't enough evidence for it to be returned, so I'm stuck with this malfunctioning laptop. Do you guys have an idea as to why this might be happening? 

I
t's really a bummer when your new laptop does this to you. Please help me resolve this issue.

Also if you need more information please let me know. I'm really bad when it comes to laptops and stuff, so please bear with me.

Thanks in advance,

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @varma_98
    Try the below steps and check

power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.

BIOS default: power on the unit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart​
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi varma_98,

# Reset the unit, (It will remove all the data--->Unit goes to Day 1 of default version)

1. Turn OFF the unit.
    2. Press and hold Alt+F10 keys(without releasing the keys) ---> Trun ON the unit. 
    3. You will get a blue screen(Title Choose an option). (Release the keys)
    4. Click troubleshoot option.
    5. Click on Reset this PC.
    6. Go with the option (Keep my files/Remove every thing)
    7. Then follow the on screen instruction. 
  • MattMacDonald
    MattMacDonald Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi @varma_98, was useful to read your experience with this laptop. I am having the same issue. Laptop is dropping out exactly as you describe at least once per day without warning. Only used the laptop for around 6 weeks. 
  • Easwar
    MattMacDonald,

Try to do power drain,

1. Shutdown the unit.
    2. Unplug the cables connected to the unit.
    3. At bottom of the unit there will be a small tiny pin hole with a battery symbol close to it. Take a pin or a paper clip insert into it you feels like pressing a button hold it for 20-30 seconds. ​

• MattMacDonald
    Thanks @Easwar for the suggestion.
    Since my original issue, I was suggested by retailer to do a software reset for the device, so followed the steps advised.
    The crashing issue continued, so the device was sent away for repair at the retailer. As I understand, the hardware operating system was reset in an attempt to fix the device and they added a few new device drivers.
    On the 3rd day since using the device again since, the laptop has crashed and restarted again. I did get a different message which suggests a new tool was attempting to capture details as part of the crash.
    Don't think the issue is fully resolved yet but will continue to follow up with the retailer. The laptop is still fairly new and has not worked well for any length of time since buying.
    Worth noting, I'm not running anything on my device that I would expect to stretch it's performance capabilities. Simply a remote desktop for work which has a much lower min spec requirement than this laptop.
    I'll update here should I get any further.
  • ricktheghost
    ricktheghost Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited October 2021
    I have been facing the same issue. The restart issue is a bit sorted after BIOS updates. but the screen does turn black and then I have to force shutdown the system.

Would be great if someone could provide a fullproof solution
  • srinivas546
    srinivas546 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hello all,

I own the same laptop, ACER Aspire 5 514-54. This laptop has serious motherboard issues. Its not from a reputed manufacturer I believe, on CPU-z the motherboard manufacturer is shown as TGL and model is LILY. I have already replaced my motherboard once for not switching on normally. but the new motherboard too has many problems such as black screen suddenly while working, auto restarts and power off while working. Have asked for a replacement. Search the internet, this model many people have failed motherboards
  • MattMacDonald
    To update again, my laptop was sent away again for repair by the retailer. This time it has come back and 4GB of RAM has been replaced. I've now worked 7 days using the laptop and it is yet to crash again which is easily a record. Hesitant to say that's it absolutely fixed the problem, but it seems to be a positive step.
  • srinivas546
    srinivas546 Member Posts: 4 New User
    @MattMacDonald was the motherboard replaced? and which 4GB ram was replaced, the on-board one or the removable one?
  • Easwar
    Hi @MattMacDonald,

Thanks for your update. 
  • Xvanessa
    Xvanessa Member Posts: 1 New User
    To update again, my laptop was sent away again for repair by the retailer. This time it has come back and 4GB of RAM has been replaced. I've now worked 7 days using the laptop and it is yet to crash again which is easily a record. Hesitant to say that's it absolutely fixed the problem, but it seems to be a positive step.
    Hi just wondering if there has been anymore crashes? As I've just recently bought one and the same thing has been happening to me. Just makes it easier for me to be able to get it fixed if it is just the ram. 

Thanks in advance