Upgrade current CPU I5-9400 to i9-9900 series ??

Member Posts: 3 New User
Hello All,
    I am looking to upgrade my computer i5-9400 cpu intell 300 series (b360) chipset bios version R01-B4 UEFI motherboard aspire TC-885

to i7-9700 or i9-9900k/ i9-9900KF.     Dell website says chipset B360 and LGA1151 slot is compatible for processors.      

is this possible?    If so is my current Bios Ver. capable of handling these more powerful processors. 

Thank You in advance much appreciated 

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
     said:
    Hello All,
        I am looking to upgrade my computer i5-9400 cpu intell 300 series (b360) chipset bios version R01-B4 UEFI motherboard aspire TC-885

to i7-9700 or i9-9900k/ i9-9900KF.     Dell website says chipset B360 and LGA1151 slot is compatible for processors.      

is this possible?    If so is my current Bios Ver. capable of handling these more powerful processors. 

Firstly, the Intel Chipset B360 works with 8th Gen and 9th Gen Intel cpu. Important: the B360 chipset support list for your motherboard, built on that chipset is only one of the key elements that determine CPU compatibility. Other key factors are: socket type, package type, maximum Thermal Design Power, BIOS version, CPU core name and stepping. For that reason not all motherboards, built on the chipset, will be compatible with all listed processors. Please use the list only as a guidance.

There is also the TDP factor to consider as that stands for Thermal Design Power, and is used to measure the amount of heat a component is expected to output when under load. For example, a CPU may have a TDP of 90W, and therefore is expected to output 90W worth of heat when in use. This can cause some confusion when shopping around for new hardware as some may take the TDP value and design a PC build around that, taking note of the watt usage. But this isn't entirely accurate, nor is it completely wrong as the wattage does not mean more power from the PSU.

Btw, these are the highest cpu's that the "Intel B360 Chipset" can handle but, beware as there have been some problems;
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900T
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900KS
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900KF
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900K
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900
    Note: if you want to upgrade from your OEM i5-9400 to either the i7-9700 or the higher i9-9900k/ i9-9900KF one of the governing factors is the TPD as the i7-9700 has the same TPD of 65W as your OEM i5-9400 which makes it the most suitable for your setup. Otherwise and with the higher spec i9-9900k/ i9-9900KF they both have a TPD of 95W which is a much higher TDP that requires more cooling by these cpu's, be it in passive technologies, fan-based coolers or liquid platforms, so you must improve that so that these cpu's work properly. Hence all the above higher spec cpu's run hotter and use more power (which is not more PSU power) it means that they work hotter by using more power so, you need to upgrade the cpu cooling system so that the system handles the temps and works properly within your computer case, as these cpu's will not work properly if they don't have adequate cooling and they will throttle and will give you operating troubles.

Consider all this as an appropriate upgrade to the i7-9700 will be much more suitable and appropriate with the Acer mobo and setup as "bigger is not always better" as there are articles on the "Intel B360 Chipset" having troubles handling the higher end of the Intel I9-xxxx processors. 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
     said:
    Hello All,

Firstly, the Intel Chipset B360 works with 8th Gen and 9th Gen Intel cpu. Important: the B360 chipset support list for your motherboard, built on that chipset is only one of the key elements that determine CPU compatibility. Other key factors are: socket type, package type, maximum Thermal Design Power, BIOS version, CPU core name and stepping. For that reason not all motherboards, built on the chipset, will be compatible with all listed processors. Please use the list only as a guidance.

There is also the TDP factor to consider as that stands for Thermal Design Power, and is used to measure the amount of heat a component is expected to output when under load. For example, a CPU may have a TDP of 90W, and therefore is expected to output 90W worth of heat when in use. This can cause some confusion when shopping around for new hardware as some may take the TDP value and design a PC build around that, taking note of the watt usage. But this isn't entirely accurate, nor is it completely wrong as the wattage does not mean more power from the PSU.

Btw, these are the highest cpu's that the "Intel B360 Chipset" can handle but, beware as there have been some problems;
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900T
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900KS
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900KF
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900K
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900
    Note: if you want to upgrade from your OEM i5-9400 to either the i7-9700 or the higher i9-9900k/ i9-9900KF one of the governing factors is the TPD as the i7-9700 has the same TPD of 65W as your OEM i5-9400 which makes it the most suitable for your setup. Otherwise and with the higher spec i9-9900k/ i9-9900KF they both have a TPD of 95W which is a much higher TDP that requires more cooling by these cpu's, be it in passive technologies, fan-based coolers or liquid platforms, so you must improve that so that these cpu's work properly. Hence all the above higher spec cpu's run hotter and use more power (which is not more PSU power) it means that they work hotter by using more power so, you need to upgrade the cpu cooling system so that the system handles the temps and works properly within your computer case, as these cpu's will not work properly if they don't have adequate cooling and they will throttle and will give you operating troubles.

Consider all this as an appropriate upgrade to the i7-9700 will be much more suitable and appropriate with the Acer mobo and setup as "bigger is not always better" as there are articles on the "Intel B360 Chipset" having troubles handling the higher end of the Intel I9-xxxx processors. 
  • Member Posts: 3 New User
    StevenGen said:
     said:
    Hello All,

• Intel® Core™ i9-9900T
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900KS
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900KF
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900K
    • Intel® Core™ i9-9900

Thank You StevenGen

That was very informative and inciteful information. You improved my understanding of computer components. 

I will be upgrading then to the i7-9700. Its cheaper then the i9-9900 and wont have to spend extra on appropriate cooling fans. 

And since I'm keeping the specs nearly identical to my OEM my current bios version R01-B4 should support the upgraded processor as well. 

Thank you for the great feedback. 
This discussion has been closed.