Hi,I've got a Acer Aspire 5742g laptop That the three light flashing problem help?

Options
ndog
ndog Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,I've got a Acer Aspire 5742g laptop That the three light flashing problem help?

Answers

• norking
    norking Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Same here. This is frustating.
    No feedback... Acer never again

• norking
    Options

Same here Man Sad

• Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Nork

The probable reason for no responses is that it is not clear what your problem is.  Apparently some indicator lights are flashing. We don't know which ones because you haven't told us. Some flashing lights are normal, for example hard drive activity and internet activity.  Why do you think that you have a problem and why is it thought to be Acer's fault?

A lot more details please.

Leho

• norking
    Options

I did a lot of research and it seems there's a lot of people in the same situation. It's a common problem with no solution from manufacture for almost cases

Basically it shuts down. Notebook loses connection with the charger

With the battery plugged in, when I start playing the notebook start flashing the 3 lights of power and battery (not hdd). So I must leave the game, unplug and plug the charger again to stop the lights flashing

And If I'm without the battery plugged, it shuts down when starting a game

When not gaming I must reduce the brightness or else it will shut down sooner or later

I don't have any bad connections, I bought a new charger, cleaned the CPU, vents, etc and it didn't solve... 

• shanenleen
    shanenleen Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Hi there!! 

I am facing the same problem here that norking mentioned..

I couln't find an exact solution for this.. But I have a suggetion..

Check your 5742G's DC ADAPTOR for following specifications.

1. Output voltage(Voltage, Eg:19V)

2.Output current(Ampere, Eg: 3.42A or 4.74A)

3.Output power(Wattage, Eg: 65W or 90W)

After going through many google results on this issue, i found that Aspire 5742G reqires a 19V, 90W, 4.74A DC ADAPTOR.

But I have a 19V, 65W, 3.42A DC ADAPTOR

Due to having a dedicated VGA (mine has nvidia GeForce GT540M) laptop needs more power.. Specially when playing games..

If someone having this 3 light blinking issue, please let me know the above mentioned specs of your DC adaptor. And try using a 19V,90W, 4.74A charger instead what you are using now. If the problem is solved please be kind enough to let me know..

P.S: In my country it is very hard to a 19V, 90W, 4.74A DC ADAPTOR. Thats why i cannot test what i said above. If my soggetion work for someone, please let me know..

• Alan-London
    Options

To clarify the PSU issue:

If your 5742G has ATI graphics then you should have a 65W PSU.

If you have the nVidia version then you should have a 90W PSU.

• norking
    Options

I had the 540 2gb and the same adpter has you. 

When I send it to RMA they gave me a wrong adapter, and I didn't notice.

I think the 65W 3.42A ACER RMA gave me killed my PC.

I bought again another 90W 4.74A like the original but didn't solve.

I have replaced the motherboard by another one and problem solved.

I bought an used motherboard with a GT420M by 90$, witch is a good bargain, yes it's a painful downgrade but I really need to work on it.

IMHO this laptop wasn't well build to handle the heat of a GT540M 2GB when playing new generation games\high settings. But I loved my Acer until he died... or until Acer killed my Acer

• shanenleen
    shanenleen Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Thanks Alan-London and norking.

Yeah norking, thats a painful downgrade.. if i do so, i have to throw away the crysis 3 dvds. Still i can play crysis 3 from the battery power..

First i'll try using a 4.74A 90W adaptor. Because, seriously i don't believe my problem is caused by a motherboard error.

I'll post here with the result after i try that..

This discussion has been closed.