Acer Aspire V3-571G & V3-771G

Luthius
Luthius Member Posts: 1 New User

Dear Acer,

I recently purchased myself a brand new Acer Aspire V3-571G Laptop for myself to replace my old Asus laptop, as I am in hospital quite a lot with ill health, and I am only 32 years old, and because of my severe health issues I am admitted into hospital for months at a time, and in the wards there is no TV's or anything, basically a bed, a cupboard and thats it, so I thought I would purchase myself a decent laptop to allow me to watch movies, connect to the internet via wifi mobile broadband, and play games, instead of spending months bedridden at a time with only the walls to look at and usually a grumpy old man in the bed next to me.

When I bought this laptop, It had a $150 Giftcard promotion, which I also have still not recieved, however, I have 2 main issues with this laptop, firstly, The touch pad does not work, nor does the buttons, I tried going into my systems bios via booting and hitting F2, however their is hardly ANY options in my bios, but definately nothing related to my touchpad, so I thought I would go to your website support page for my V3-571G and see if their was any BIOS updates, as experience tells me that first port of call with problems like this is to update the BIOS if possible, so I downloaded the v1.13 Bios update, as nothing in my BIOS mentions it being a UEFI BIOS, and followed the directions and upgraded the bios from 1.11 to 1.13 without a problem, however, nothing changed in the BIOS menu, no extra option appeared, nothing, except the BIOS revision number, and in windows, the Elan Tech touchpad software installs without a hitch, however, the touchpad just wont respond, so I have to revert to a USB Mouse for the time being while I sort this out.

The other issue I have is with the Videocards in my V3-571G, In the BIOS their is only an option for the VGA to have it as SWITCHABLE, And when it shows the System Memory as 4GB and then the VGA memory as 128MB, I am assuming that 128MB VGA is for the Intel HD 4000 videocard, and not the supposed 2GB Dedicated nVidia GeForce GT 640M, their is no mention of the nVidia chipset in my BIOS, and is the 2GB dedicated graphics card using 2GB of my system memory, or is that 2GB for the nvidia 640M ontop of the 4GB system memory? The videocard detects fine in windows, but I cannot get any info on it in windows or the bios, but it is their!

I am using a legitimate copy of Windows 8 Professional with all system updates via Windows Update, and using all the drivers for this laptop from acer.com.au for this model for every peice of hardware in this machine. I bought this machine brand new from my local store on the 17th Febuary 2013 and I bought it because of the best bang for buck, specifically because of the $150 Giftcard Redemption Offer, which to date has not turned up, and after emailing you guys numerous times, I finally got a response back last week, only saying you recieved my emails and will endavour to look into it, since then I havent heard a thing.

I would like to know if their is a BIOS update for my machine that offers more BIOS options?

Becuase I want to play games at the best possible settings, last week I went to my local store and told them what I was after, and they recommended 3 diffirent machines, and I ended up setting my sights on this Acer Aspire V3-771G Notebook for $1,699.00.. Becuase it too came with a Giftcard redemption offer, and compared to the other 2 notebooks in the same price range, this one offered better hardware inside. However, when I got home and unpacked this machine, their was nothing inside the box other than the machine and paperwork, their was no discs, no redemption card offers, nothing, the paperwork inside was a setup guide and a few other bits and peices, but again, just like my Acer Aspire V3-571G purchase, their was no install discs or recovery discs, nothing, so I had to go out and buy myself another copy of Winodws 8 Professional, because the other copy I already own is installed on my V3-571G notebook, so I am out of pocket even more again, and the Gift Card redemption paperwork is nowhere to be found, so I rang the store where I bought it from, they assured me that they never opened it and removed anything, and that I need to contact Acer to get it sorted, which I have done so, but still no reply as yet.

What is upsetting me is I am fully supporting Acer, I live on a Disability Pension due to my poor health, and I have bought 2 machines of yours so far, totallying well over $2,500 total, and now I am down 2x Giftcard Cashback Offers, and I have tried contacting Acer via email numerous times since my first purchase in Febuary of my Aspire V3-571G, and then again tried again the day I bought my V3-771G, and still no word back, I included ALL my details, including Serial Numbers, Recipt Numbers, My personal information, contact numbers. Will someone please call me regarding the 2 outstanding Giftcards.

Also, I am really shocked about this v3-771g, for some "Odd" reason, it runs slower than my V3-571, acutally, it runs a noticably alot slower, However this machine has 16GB Memory instead of the 4GB in my 571G, it has better nVidia Graphics GPU, yet it runs windows in general alot slower, responds slower, loads applications slower, has a lot more lag in general windows use, and as for Gaming Performance, the much faster and beefier nVidia GPU does not seems that much better than the less beefy nVidia GPU in my 571G machine, and this does not seem right to me, and thats using all the latest drivers for Both Machines of your website for each machine, and another issue I have with my Aspire V3-771G is when I downloaded the very latest nVidia Graphics drivers of nVidia's very own website, the official "314.22-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql"... When I try installing them on my Aspire V3-771G it comes back saying it cannot detect the hardware and aborts, I have to revert to the outdated nVidia drivers on your website for it to detect the GPU in my Acer Aspire V3-771G... But if I try installing the exact same drivers in my Acer Aspire V3-571G, It detects and installs fine.

The other issue I am having with my V3-771G is when I try running a nVidia tech demo for this GPU, it comes back with a Not Enought Video Memory windows, and wont run, same goes for 3DMark 2006, 2011 and even 3DMark Vantage will not run, however, when I installed FarCry 3 and Max Payne 3, they booted fine, but their performance was not what I was expecting from this machine, it performs roughtly the same as my V3-571 and on the occasions, even worse, at identicle settings including resolutions and custom graphic optios in each game.

Is this right? Everything in this V3-771G is meant to be a lot better than my V3-571G, which is why I bought it, so everything from Windows to Gaming would run a lot better, however Windows runs better on my V3-571, and I am lucky if I get to see even a slight diffirence in gaming performace, again, compared to my 571G machine. The only real noticeable diffirence I see straight away is picture diffirence due to the better display screen, and its got blu-ray.

I updated the UEFI bios in this machine to see if it made a lic of diffirence, but no, no diffirence at all, except the UEFI Bios in my V3-771G has more options than the BIOS in my V3-571G

Kindest Regards,

David Giles

NT, Australia

This discussion has been closed.