Is your laptop hot? Battery not lasting? Check this!

Options
Kiran
Kiran Member Posts: 3 New User

I went CRAZY trying to understand why my new Aspire M5-481TG was running the fan constantly.. and putting out heat like a small space heater.  Unfortunately it doesn't get very cold in south Florida otherwise I'd consider it a nice feature.

What I finally discovered were two things:

1. I had placed a gadget on the desktop to monitor the nVidia GPU temps.  Simply having this gadget running caused the video card to idle around 65C.  I simply uninstalled the gadget.

2. In the power settings in Windows 7, in the 'advanced power settings' for the 'balanced' plan, under 'processor power management', the setting for 'minimum processor state' for both running on batteries and plugged in, was set to 100%!  Using CoreTemp, I could see the CPU clock rate staying around 2.3GHz... I thought at first maybe Acer made a mistake and put the wrong CPU in this thing.  I changed this setting for both battery and plugged in, to 0%.  And immediately the fan died down, and the temps all dropped.. and I can see the CPU idling around 800MHz now.

Hopefully this will help someone.

Answers

• Sandyxo
    Sandyxo Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Just got a brand new laptop, palmrest too hot to rest on, followed your info and its cooled down to a 'warm', still think it needs looking at but at least I can use it now, thankyou so much!

Sandyxo - happier than I was Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.