GIMP setup, couldn't find the GIMP program after downloading it. Where to find it?

ALnaqib111
ALnaqib111 Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
edited 7:19AM in Predator Laptops

"I accessed Predator Sense and found an icon for the GIMP program. I clicked on it, which directed me to a link on GitHub. After downloading it, I clicked on install.bat, which downloaded numerous items through CMD. After it finished, I couldn't find the GIMP program."

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• fernhuel
    fernhuel Member Posts: 2 New User

It sounds like you went through the usual steps to install GIMP, but sometimes downloads through CMD don’t install all the files correctly, which could be why you can’t find the program afterward. Have you tried checking your download folder or running the installation as an administrator?

For certain programs, I’ve had better success using direct download tools. For example, if you ever need a simple way to download videos or files directly, MusicallyDown is a great tool. It’s not for software, but it’s pretty effective for media files. For GIMP, though, you might want to try downloading the setup file directly from their official website rather than GitHub.

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 700

Hi ALnaqib111,

It all depends how you installed Gimp.

For the regular Windows installer from gimp.org and the user accepting the one-click install it goes into C:\Program Files\GIMP 2

However if the 'For Me Only' option is selected it installs into C:\Users\your_name\Appdata\Local\Programs\GIMP2

Which same as the GIMP user profile, is in the hidden Appdata folder. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...windows-10

Going a bit further, and using the Gimp installer customize option, you can install Gimp to some other location, maybe a second disk
    or
    You might be using a portable Gimp which can be anywhere.

However / Wherever installed, the location should show up by running Gimp then in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders Choose a resource folder and that shows both the location of your user profile and the location of the Gimp installation.

—————————————————————————————————

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful.