USB 3.1 docking station problem (Acer Nitro AN515-57)

Johnny132
Johnny132 Member Posts: 85 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited October 26 in Nitro Gaming

Hello, I have an Acer AN515-57

. Last year I bought a docking station

, I had it connected via usb 3.1 and the internet speed was easily 1Gb/s, today I noticed that this speed is max 300Mb/s, via usb c the speed is 1Gb/s and my question is what could have happened that this speed dropped, with another usb c-3.1 A cable it is the same. Can this laptop have a USB C - USB C port connected if I don't have Thunderbolt? Thank you for your help.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,748 Trailblazer
    edited October 25 Answer ✓

I recommend connecting that dock to your USB-C port with TBT4, but not for charging:
    Higher Data Transfer Speeds: USB-C (Thunderbolt 4) offers significantly faster data transfer rates compared to USB 3.1.
    Multiple Functions: USB-C can handle data transfer and video output, but this laptop model doesn’t support USB-C charging.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,889 Trailblazer
    edited 1:58AM Answer ✓

Here is the answer to your question about …."I want to repeat the question once again, can you use pendrives and external drives normally on the port where it says 20W charging?"

The port that say 20W charging are USB-C ports and you can use them as a data port also. Your Nitro AN515-57 right side port is not a TBT4 port as its probably the port below which certain Nitro AN515-57 laptops were released without a TBT4 port on the right side like its described below:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,748 Trailblazer
    edited October 25 Answer ✓

I recommend connecting that dock to your USB-C port with TBT4, but not for charging:
    Higher Data Transfer Speeds: USB-C (Thunderbolt 4) offers significantly faster data transfer rates compared to USB 3.1.
    Multiple Functions: USB-C can handle data transfer and video output, but this laptop model doesn’t support USB-C charging.

• Johnny132

Well, unfortunately when I figured out what and how it was a bit too late and I don't have TBT in my laptop, but I'll connect it to USB-C. I have a problem, either with the ports or something with the cable, next week I'll buy a new cable and see what the problem is. And I don't know for sure and I'm not sure about some things, so I have one more question - is the port in the picture only for charging or for data transfer as well? I know that it charges at 20W. Thank you for your help

• StevenGen
    edited October 26

The Nitro AN515-57 laptop does have a TBT4 port, who told you that it docent? Below are all the specs of your AN515-57 USB ports

The TBT4 port is on the right side of your laptop and its got the TBT icon like shown below

All AN515-57 USB Port Specs

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Johnny132
    edited October 26

Um it doesn't look like the picture, I don't remember where, but on some forum I was told that unfortunately they were for my market without TBT4 and supposedly it shouldn't be connected to USB-C, because there is charging there and you shouldn't use a docking station under this port. This information was quite strange to me, because then why is there a USB-C port if I have to limit myself to a slower USB port?
    I want to repeat the question once again, can you use pendrives and external drives normally on the port where it says 20W charging?

• StevenGen
    edited 1:58AM Answer ✓

Here is the answer to your question about …."I want to repeat the question once again, can you use pendrives and external drives normally on the port where it says 20W charging?"

The port that say 20W charging are USB-C ports and you can use them as a data port also. Your Nitro AN515-57 right side port is not a TBT4 port as its probably the port below which certain Nitro AN515-57 laptops were released without a TBT4 port on the right side like its described below:

• Johnny132

Great, thank you very much for all the help and explanations :) More information that increases my knowledge😁

• Johnny132

Does this USB limit the data transfer speed in any way?