ACER CXI3 Fails to boot ish or display output just doesn't seem to work

ESDIT
ESDIT Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 22 in Chromebooks

We have had these Chromebox's for several years with not issue. Now they are all dropping like flies. The issue is extremely hard to diagnose. I feel its the bios firmware. But maybe someone can help we have 100's of these in the district and getting more and more with the issue every day. So what is happening is you try to turn them on and no video output. The ethernet lights are active so it looks to be booted but no hdmi output to the monitor. The monitors, cables and power supplies have all been tested and check out. I can usually perform a recovery with a USB drive and the output works just fine. Until it goes to boot into the actual OS then again nothing. I have reflashed them several times with different recovery images IE versions of chrome OS. Makes no difference. Some times you reflash them and they are working but if you take external power away for a little while say to walk the device over to another building to install it then it quits working again. We have tested the internal batteries and they are good as well. Something off the wall we tried was to flash the bios with a 3rd party firmware MR Chromebox and then load up Chrome Flex. Seemed to do the trick and now it works great accept no more sound as the there are no drivers for the audio chip in chromeflex. Honestly from everything we have tried to get these working we feel it could be some glitch in the bios firmware and once its updated to that firmware you have no way to revert it. I have locked the versions back to 126 just to see if that will help but it does not seem to as I had some that have been sitting on a shelf for a long time. I loaded one up it started with version 104 and upped to version 126 but again showed the same symptoms of no HDMI. We do have a Suzy cable hoping to pull some kind of log or something with any insight on to what is going on but we are not experienced enough with it to figure out how to pull a log or if its even possible. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help. We are at the point of just giving up and having to purchase all new Chromebox's from a different manufacture. Not that the district can afford to do that but we are at a loss.

Answers

• preetham_83
    preetham_83 Member Posts: 9 New User

• Reset BIOS/UEFI: Access the BIOS/UEFI setup by pressing the designated key during boot (usually F2, Del, or Esc). Look for a "Reset to Default" or "Load Optimized Defaults" option and select it. Save the changes and exit.

• Boot Order: Check the boot order and ensure that the primary boot device is set correctly (usually the hard drive or SSD). If you have multiple drives, try changing the boot order to see if it makes a difference.

• Secure Boot: If your BIOS/UEFI has Secure Boot enabled, try disabling it temporarily to see if it resolves the issue.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,848 Trailblazer

Any chance do you think that the drives are failing?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DannyDV
    DannyDV Member Posts: 1 New User

Two years later, and now we have exactly the same! One by one the Chromeboxes stop working. Are stuck in the boot proces. OS version 125 - 129.