GWTN156-4 keyboard issues

PWeasel
PWeasel Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi there,
my office bought a couple years ago a batch of GWTN156-4 laptops, they worked GREAT till a couple months ago, when 3 started to have issues. started as keyboard non responsive at first, forcing us to use USB keyboards.

The built-in keyboards couldn't even work while on the BIOS screens. Then the problem evolved to the point that one started shutting itself down a couple seconds after booting, and another just turns itself on as soon as I plug it into mains, then it shuts itself off during or right after booting up to then ignore the power button when pressed unless I re-plug it back to mains.

At first I thought it was a windows update gone wrong, but the fact that not even while on the BIOS screen the built-in keyboard was unresponsive eliminated that possibility.
All the laptops are in good care, never spilt any beverages on top/***** nor they were dropped.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with this model?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,789 Trailblazer

Unfortunately those models are specials only sold through Walmart, and a portion of the deal Walmart negotiated was to provide all support for them, so we don't have access to any technical documents through Acer. You are right in that it can't be a Windows update issue, though there was a recent update that did affect USB ports on some models, and the keyboard connection is likely done through an internal USB port. Is the power button integrated into the keyboard on those? If so I'd start looking at that as a potential avenue to the symptoms.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PWeasel
    PWeasel Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited October 16

yup. the power button is integrated into the keyboard. there is no separate ribbon cable for it.