PT515-51 How can I create a crisis recovery disc for this specific model? My BIOS is currently corru

cinnamon0252
cinnamon0252 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited 4:55PM in Predator Laptops

How can I create a crisis recovery disc for this specific model? My BIOS is currently corrupted.

[Edited the topic title to include the topic issue.]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 13,140 Trailblazer

Hi @cinnamon0252 the procedure to generate a recovery disk is as follows: How damaged is this BIOS? I hope you can access the operating system:

Regards.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • cinnamon0252

No, I'm not able to boot into the operating system or the BIOS itself. The laptop is stuck on a black screen when booting. I've also tried to do a battery reset to no avail.

• Alejandro_AC

Did it happen suddenly or was there a change made to the device?
    The screen goes completely black or you see a blinking cursor in the upper left corner?

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
  • cinnamon0252

It was a change I made to the device. I was testing a feature of a hybrid graphics Linux utility that disables the dGPU, so I could have only the iGPU be active. But once I rebooted, only a black screen appeared. It's completely black, so there's no cursor in the upper left corner.

I believe this requires either manually flashing the BIOS with an SPI programmer (CH341A), or creating a Crisis Recovery Disc. I prefer the latter, as I'm not able to get the programmer to recognize the BIOS chip.

• cinnamon0252

Correction: The feature was supposed to trigger the MUX switch, so it'd go from 'MSHybrid' mode to 'dGPU only' mode, making the dGPU the primary display. I misremembered as it's been a few days.

• Alejandro_AC

I understand, so it's not a recovery disk as I thought, sorry, but I don't know what a crisis disk is.
    As for the procedures for flashing BIOS, I don't know them, I'm not specialized to that level, sorry, let's see if there are more answers that can help you.

Greetings.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,163 Pathfinder

@cinnamon0252

Try to do a BIOS reset by turning off the laptop, unplugging the charger, and holding the button for 15 seconds. This will reset the BIOS settings to default.

Note that when you are using the advanced BIOS, do not change the GPU mode to dGPU only as the laptop does not have a physical MUX switch and will cause a black screen.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • cinnamon0252
    edited 6:07PM

I've tried that already, mentioned it earlier when I said "battery reset". And there is a MUX switch present, as I've been able to switch between 'MSHybrid' and 'dGPU only' modes successfully when doing it manually through the BIOS, or through PredatorSense. I was only curious to see if I could do the same from Linux through the utility.

It's from a service guide I've read on this model. It's meant to be used when the BIOS is corrupted. Its files are supposed to be placed on a USB stick alongside the BIOS file, and while holding the 'Fn + Esc' keys, turn the laptop on and hold it until POST, and then the Flash utility would automatically flash the BIOS with the one present on the USB stick. I just want to know where to obtain these files, and what to name the BIOS file to. I found this guide on a separate forum, but it's meant for BIOSes from Phoenix, not Insyde.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,163 Pathfinder

@cinnamon0252

I see. Then download the latest BIOS for PT515-51. Extract the rar file first, then extract the BIOS_113.exe file.
    Once you have the BIOS_113 folder, copy the G113s.fd into the FAT32 USB.
    Plug the USB into the laptop, hold the Fn+Esc key, and press the power button. The BIOS recovery will be in progress if the fans run at maximum speed with a black screen. Once this is completed, the laptop will shutdowns itself.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Alejandro_AC

Ok, thanks for the info @cinnamon0252 .

Regards.