USB PORTS NOT WORKING AFTER WINDOWS UPDATE IN XC-840 series

RickFloyd63
RickFloyd63 Member Posts: 5 New User

MY BLUETOOTH keyboard AND mouse and usb ports not working after windows 11 update ON MY acer desktop computer. I HAVE TRIED EVERY PORT AND ALSO CONNECTED WIRED KEYBOARD AND MOUSE WITH SAME RESULT, UNABLE TO USE SO CANNOT LOGIN. UNFORTUNATELY, I DONT HAVE A RECORD OF MODEL BUT I ONLY PURCHASED IT NEW LESS THAN 18 MONTHS AGO.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,573 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Have you tried a reset either

Remove power and all cables from the desktop, and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Plug power back in to the desktop and see if the computer will power on.

or

To reset the CMOS battery on a computer, you can try these steps:

1. Turn off the computer and unplug it from the power source
    2. Open the computer case
    3. Locate the CMOS battery, which is usually a small, silver, disk-shaped battery on the motherboard
    4. Remove the battery by gently pushing down on the retaining clip and pulling it out of its socket
    5. Wait 10–15 minutes to clear all the data stored in the chip
    6. Reinsert the battery back into its socket
    7. Close the computer case and plug in the power source
    8. Turn on the computer 

You can also clear the CMOS using the CLRTC pin or Clear CMOS button on the motherboard. The location of these buttons can be found in the motherboard's manual. Resetting the CMOS can be necessary if the BIOS settings become corrupt, which can happen due to power events, incorrect settings, or hardware incompatibility. If the CMOS battery dies, the computer will lose its BIOS settings, which can lead to boot issues and incorrect hardware configurations. 

• RickFloyd63

thanks for the advice, I removed the battery as you suggested but that didn’t work so I just did a system reset, reinstalled windows but the problem persists

• RickFloyd63

what I don’t understand is why I can use the mouse and keyboard to reset the computer but then cannot use them after reset, but then I am very tech savvy

• RickFloyd63

Meant to say NOT very tech savvy

• RickFloyd63
    edited 3:40AM

XC-840 series

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,522 Trailblazer

That is impossible unless your mainboard is faulty or you installed Win-11 without driver updates for the USB ports, as all the USB ports are directly soldered to the mainboard and should work.

The Aspire XC-840 has 3 different types of USB ports as described below, it has at #7 a 1x USB 3.2 Gen1 Type C port and at #8 a 1x USB 3.2 Gen1 Type A port and on the rear panel it has at #21 4x USB 2.0 Type A ports.

Surely some of these ports work, have you installed Win-11 23H2 with a Rufus 4.5 USB and with the ,ISO Win-11 23H2 downloaded file from Microsoft as a Clean Install? As that could have gone wrong and the installation must not have installed all the Win-11 drivers for the OS, try to reinstall Win-11 like above with a Rufus USB and as a clean install. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍